Where can I go to find myself

georgegeorgia

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The Australian outback is a useful destination for self-appraisal. Stay on one of the stations, the next house will be about 10 km away, and the next town 100. Limited radio, no TV, perhaps a couple of station dogs for company.

I had a month like that in September, 2001. When I got back to civilization, I thought the whole world had gone mad. Still does.

Fix fences?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, connda said:

They won't take you.  You're too old. Sorry. The farang chapters of Ajahn Chah's monastic legacy are funny like that.  I was deeply influenced by Ajahn Chah's teaching for years prior to early retirement.  Been there, tried that. It's not an option. Your age is considered problematic. 

If you looking for meditation and an internal getaway, try Pa-Auk Tawya Forest Monastery in Myanmar.  There are more than one, but Pa-Auk Tawya is the largest.  Pa-Auk is much more approachable than Wat Pah Nanachat. 
The monastery's web site is here: https://www.paaukforestmonastery.org/ 

You can also contact Bhante Subhuti at this link.  He's spent considerable time at the Pa-Auk forest monasteries and could fill you in.  https://americanmonk.org

Best of luck.

Oh, and there is a chapter in Thailand.  Fairly new. 
https://www.paaukthailand.org/en/home-en/

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I read the following book a long time ago. I think it's inspiring.

And he tells the real-life stories about the idea of living in a temple in the woods.

I recommend you read it and decided if that is what you really want.

(continued below the picture)

Phra+Farang.jpg

Otherwise, I recommend reading books. I guess it's perfect if you do that on a lonely beach or in the mountains somewhere, but any place where you can relax and concentrate on your reading should do the job.

Read i.e. Jordan Peterson's maps of meaning or one of his other books. And/or other psychology books.

And I recommend read them in your native language to really understand them.

Or watch some of his videos or work on his Self-Authoring program.

There are lots of smart people out there who we can learn a lot from. Just don't make any of these people your guru. Read, listen, learn, and stay critical. You don't have to believe everything. 

Reflect and learn and think about yourself and what is meaningful for you.

I wish you good luck on that way.

JP is a very serious guy. I like him but far too serious. He seems very depressed himself.

You need joy in your life to be happy. Over thinking makes life worse.

6 minutes ago, Regyai said:

Pretty sure it was in one of his books I read a tale which always stuck in my mind, and very germane to the OP's question:

Basically the monk goes to the Abbot of his then Wat and asks to transfer to some other Wat where he feels it would be more conducive to his meditation practice.

The Abbot reflects on the request then asks the monk to observe the temple dogs, how restless they are, how they scratch and shuffle, then move somewhere more comfortable, or somewhere a little cooler. Then insightfully explained that the dogs don't realise that where ever they go, they take their fleas with them.

So buy flea spray.