Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Scott

17 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

(Germany has some of the biggest and stronest unions in the world, at the same time as having some of the biggest and strongest industry in the world).

So why are so many Germans leaving he country if it's so great?

46 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How much power do your solar cells generate?

What's that got to do with it? Believe it or not, power companies are the way most people get their electricity. That UK government analysis showed that it made economic sense to build solar power plants.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

As I think I mentioned, the biggest single issue 'influencing' people to vote for Brexit was a perception that immigration to the UK was too high. Currently there are 10 million foreign-born people living in the UK.

And not enough workers across all sectors, hampering the growth, productivity the UK so desperately needs.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The answer is available for those who look:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_in_the_United_Kingdom

I wasn't asking about the uks production. 

All the wokes on this thread must surely have invested in electricity generation...... Or is it all just talk? 

Edited by BritManToo

58 minutes ago, placeholder said:

That UK government analysis showed that it made economic sense to build solar power plants.

That is hardly a recommendation.

Most UK government analyses seem to have been lifted straight from the Toytown Book of Rubbish, as a cursory glance at the ruinous policies over the last 3 years demonstrates.

Plus, solar power plants have to happen at large scale in order to prop up the UK's idiotic Net Zero plan. They are hardly going to produce a government analysis which opposes solar power.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

Most UK government analyses seem to have been lifted straight from the Toytown Book of Rubbish, as a cursory glance at the ruinous policies over the last 3 years demonstrates.

Plus, solar power plants have to happen at large scale in order to prop up the UK's idiotic Net Zero plan. They are hardly going to produce a government analysis which opposes solar power.

Do you understand that this is the Tories you're talking about? In fact, they tried not to release the report because of its support of solar and wind.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Not quite as badly. 

When you no longer make much, there's not much to fall back on.

The UK don't even make their own planes to put on those aircraft carriers. Considering they used to have an military aviation industry as good as the best in the world that is a rather large indictment of Britain, IMO.

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

What happened to the wave power that they were going to build some years back? It often isn't sunny in Britain but the waves never stop.

19 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

But you choose not to name that country or the primary industry sector.

What should we make of that?

Hi Chomper,

TBL would be referring to NZ and the dairy industry.

Very contentious at the moment.

2 minutes ago, RayC said:

No matter how often you stick your head in the sand, the fact remains that Brexit has contributed to the UK's current economic problems.

To date, there have been few, if any, economic benefits associated with the decision to leave the EU.

The Brexiter retort that the economic benefits will take time to filter through and has been hampered by Covid, the war in Ukraine, etc is empty rhetoric. There is no plan (or timeline) to realise these benefits for the simple reason that so few exist a plan is unnecessary.

https://obr.uk/forecasts-in-depth/the-economy-forecast/brexit-analysis/#assumptions

Not being subject to Brussels is worth it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

Hi Chomper,

TBL would be referring to NZ and the dairy industry.

Very contentious at the moment.

The dairy industry does not constitute the entirety of the primary industry sector.

If she really wanted to reduce NZ's pollution levels, a good start would be bulldozing all of Auckland into the harbour and planting trees on it.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What happened to the wave power that they were going to build some years back? It often isn't sunny in Britain but the waves never stop.

It sank without trace, so to speak.

It proved to be another nice-sounding scheme which failed to work in practice, the hallmark of the vast majority of Green fantasy projects.

The narrative then shifted to the unproven "tidal stream power", which will probably go the same way. Unsurprisingly, the UK government is now throwing millions of pounds into backing this notion. I would be delighted if they could make these ideas work, but the track record is very discouraging.

Of course, the one proven technology the UK could use to alleviate its energy problems -- fracking -- is the only one the government has ruled out. It was the first thing that the new PM did on assuming office.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Define "so many". And how does current emigration compare to past emigration?

I'll ask my German friend who is here visiting her mother at the moment and get back to you... these were her words yesterday.

So I'm not making it up... she said many Germans are finding the cost of living constantly increasing and their standard of living falling.

[Not just from Covid or the recent inflation] but for many years.

Also the freedom of immigration in the past has made many problems in some areas.

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I'll ask my German friend who is here visiting her mother at the moment and get back to you... these were her words yesterday.

So I'm not making it up... she said many Germans are finding the cost of living constantly increasing and their standard of living falling.

Also the freedom of immigration in the past has made many problems in some areas.

So,  your german friend is going to have some kind of facts and figures? 

This issue you raised isn't about the German standard of living but about increased emigration.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

some of us know, but are reluctant to post the reason on here.

Before you claim you know why, you have to know if "many germans" whatever that means, are leaving Germany. Presumably it means an increasing number. Do you know that for a fact? Or is it just a convenient hook for you to hang your biases on? 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Given inflation and prices are rising everywhere, there is IMO no advantage financially to move elsewhere.

IMO the reason is otherwise and I'm not going to say it on here.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Where is your evidence that Next, or any other business for that matter, were paying immigrant workers far below minimum wage?

The basis of calculating unemployment has changed multiple times since 1974, always to reduce the reported number.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/employers-named-and-shamed-for-paying-less-than-minimum-wage 

https://www.ft.com/content/28192d0c-f710-4203-a558-50b5517d57eb from a Financial Times article ..

Hope you are happy that my 5 minute search found the above links . Please explain where you say the basis of calculating has changed etc .

Well UK has been there before i remember interest rates were 14% on my mortgage at one time and now there moaning about 4% i would say most sensible people knew Brexit wasn't going be easy because the EU weren't ganna make so we're they for obvious reasons and with covid pandemic, followed by a war what do people expect.

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

What's that got to do with it? Believe it or not, power companies are the way most people get their electricity. That UK government analysis showed that it made economic sense to build solar power plants.

Surely your reliance on the government to provide everything is looking back. The way forward is for everyone with the resources to provide for themselves. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Does your solar run your AC?

I'd like to go solar, but I could never run a heater off it, so not economical.

I don't use aircon for most of the year. Fans and open windows/doors are good enough. Just doing my bit to save the world from climate change! 

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't use aircon for most of the year. Fans and open windows/doors are good enough. Just doing my bit to save the world from climate change! 

I needed my AC in Lamphun in the hot season, and I REALLY need my heater in NZ. In winter it's on 24/7 unless I go out.

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Surely your reliance on the government to provide everything is looking back. The way forward is for everyone with the resources to provide for themselves. 

Iirrelevant to the discussion of economic feasibility.

I have noticed that the underlying theme of lots of your posts is "I've got mine, Jack."

• Thumbs Up 1