Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Scott

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why pick on them? Rich people are always immune to the tribulations of the masses.

You think Musk is cutting back on his food bill?

He wasn't born into his money.  Creating good livelihoods for 10s of 1000s, while attaining his fortune.  

https://www.gobankingrates.com/net-worth/business-people/ways-elon-musk-lives-frugally/

Edited by KhunLA

8 minutes ago, Credo said:

Elon Musk most certainly did come from money.  Perhaps not enough to be a trust-fund baby, but he was blessed with enough to make his way in the world with few financial worries, like most people who become wealthy.  He lived in an upscale neighborhood in Pretoria, his father owned a private plane and a yacht.  His father did have a stake in an Emerald mine.  It was in Zambia, not South Africa.   

Here's a little snippet, this is Elon's own word:

This is going to sound slightly crazy, but my father also had a share in an Emerald mine in Zambia.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2022/11/17/elon-musk-emerald-mine/

Dad's only worth 2 mill now, so he couldn't have been that wealthy 50 years ago.  Along with his parents, not being worthy, so he was self made himself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Errol_Musk

net worth: https://leedaily.com/2022/07/16/errol-musk-net-worth/

Royals ... a birthright ????

5 hours ago, nauseus said:

I won't be able to get away with answering that truthfully.  

I'm sure that you will be able to avoid incurring the mod's wrath if you omit the expletives and gory bits.

I'm genuinely interested in knowing what May could have done differently in order to have turned Brexit into an economic success story.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Circular argument. 

By all means mention it till the cows come home, but it's not going to make an iota of difference to anything unless one can go back in time.

We all got that some posters blame Brexit for the UK's woes many pages ago, so no need to beat the proverbial dead horse any more.

That's a false argument. 

I'll agree that nothing said on here one way or the other is going to have any effect and that you can't change the past. 

However, if more influential bodies e.g. CBI, IoD, politicans, think tanks, MSM, etc continue to bang on about the negative effects of Brexit then maybe, just maybe, the Government will listen and take action to mitigate these effects by trying to build closer ties with the EU instead of continually trying to antagonise and alienate them, which often seemed to be the objective of the Johnson administration.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why pick on them? Rich people are always immune to the tribulations of the masses.

You think Musk is cutting back on his food bill?

I cut back on my housing bill by moving to Thailand.

Food is a relatively small part of most people's household budget.

18 minutes ago, RayC said:

I'm sure that you will be able to avoid incurring the mod's wrath if you omit the expletives and gory bits.

I'm genuinely interested in knowing what May could have done differently in order to have turned Brexit into an economic success story.

With those restrictions, I would not be answering truthfully.

I can't say what May could have done better because what she did do was so secretive as to be a mystery to most of her her own ministers. She started the negotiations weakly and just carried on. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, nauseus said:

With those restrictions, I would not be answering truthfully.

I can't say what May could have done better because what she did do was so secretive as to be a mystery to most of her her own ministers. She started the negotiations weakly and just carried on. 

She was trying to wait for the contrary UK public to change there mind IMHO.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Fighting what, self harm?

Survival and what future there is.

As someone who didn't want UK  to be in the EU or whatever it was at the time, also although I live in Thailand, my family are still happy with the decision and don't just  blame brexit for the present situation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, superal said:

Covid hit most world economies and then came the Russia / Ukraine war which also has a profound effect on many countries . Then we had the Liz Truss mini budget that sent the UK inflation and interest rates soaring . Brexit had a small effect initially that was mostly caused by the E.U. enforcing heaps of red tape on continuous established trading rules . Indeed the E,U. reminded me of "a woman scorned " . The UK voted for Brexit to be free of the Brussels shackles and the massive amount of foreign labour that hit the UK because of the free movement of labour under  E.U. rules . The UK did not want to be part of a united Europe which meant we were basically governed by non elected E.U. bureaucrats . The UK was losing its identity and way of life . I have friends from Germany , France and Italy who all agree that the UK did the right thing in leaving the E.U. and also wished that their countries would do the same as their countries have been hit with massive immigration . What price your soul ?

The E.U / E.E.C. / Common Market has out grown its purpose .

You have "friends from Germany , France and Italy who all agree that the UK did the right thing in leaving the E.U. and also wished that their countries would do the same".

You must be very selective when you make friends! ????

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, superal said:

Covid hit most world economies and then came the Russia / Ukraine war which also has a profound effect on many countries . Then we had the Liz Truss mini budget that sent the UK inflation and interest rates soaring . Brexit had a small effect initially that was mostly caused by the E.U. enforcing heaps of red tape on continuous established trading rules . Indeed the E,U. reminded me of "a woman scorned " . The UK voted for Brexit to be free of the Brussels shackles and the massive amount of foreign labour that hit the UK because of the free movement of labour under  E.U. rules . The UK did not want to be part of a united Europe which meant we were basically governed by non elected E.U. bureaucrats . The UK was losing its identity and way of life . I have friends from Germany , France and Italy who all agree that the UK did the right thing in leaving the E.U. and also wished that their countries would do the same as their countries have been hit with massive immigration . What price your soul ?

The E.U / E.E.C. / Common Market has out grown its purpose .

The Common market had purpose, but the failed experiment of political and monetary union was a huge mistake. Britain should never have agreed to it and is well out of it, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

He wasn't born into his money.  Creating good livelihoods for 10s of 1000s, while attaining his fortune.  

https://www.gobankingrates.com/net-worth/business-people/ways-elon-musk-lives-frugally/

I obviously made a mistake by naming someone. I'll substitute Daddy Warbucks for Musk. Do you think Warbucks is cutting back on the food bill?

24 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I don’t know anyone who ‘just blames Brexit for the present situation’.

There are however plenty examples of people who refuse to accept Brexit is a significant contributor to the problems the UK is facing.

Agree, sensible people for want of better words knew it would be difficult at first and knew there's bound and would still be problems on agreement with EU only for it unfortunately to be made worse. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

More sensible people knew it was a crock from the start.

There is absolutely no way the UK could erect trade barriers against itself with its nearest and most important trading partner and not suffer negative economic consequences.

The damage will continue while the UK remains outside EU Free Trade.

There is no ‘jam tomorrow’ there are no ‘Sun-lit uplands’.

Yes typically democracy doesn't go down well with everyone unless it goes their way. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Democracy is a continuous process, the Brexit Referendum did not end the right of the growing number of people who believe Brexit to be a mistake from campaigning to have Brexit reversed.

I've heard many a time from many sources from time to time since that reverse cannot and will not happen. 

• Thanks 1