Thais Could Probably Watch All World Cup Soccer Matches Live: Anucha

webfact

image.jpeg

By Thai Newsroom Reporters

PRIME MINISTER’S OFFICE Minister Anucha Nakhasai has spiced up the Thai people’s appetite for World Cup soccer games by confirming today (Nov.16) they could probably watch all 64 matches live on free TV.

Anucha’s comments apparently contradicted those earlier made by Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan who has dampened the hopes of soccer enthusiasts by saying only some, and not all, of the total 64 soccer games being contested by 32 national teams from around the globe in the Fifa World Cup 2022 might probably be broadcast live from Qatar for free viewing in Thailand.

Prawit blamed the probability of the Thais being given selected World Cup soccer matches to watch live on the “overpriced” Fifa broadcasting licence amounting to 1.6 billion baht.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2022/11/16/thais-could-probably-watch-all-world-cup-soccer-matches-live-anucha/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2022-11-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, klauskunkel said:

from the article:

they should have taken the early bird special

Waiting for the prices to drop like they did with the COVID vaccines.

Perhaps get a good deal on reruns of the games. 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Prawit blamed the probability of the Thais being given selected World Cup soccer matches to watch live on the “overpriced” Fifa broadcasting licence amounting to 1.6 billion baht.

Says the man with a drawer full of quality time-pieces.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PPGuy said:

Erm, you may need to redo your calculation as each game requires two teams to participate......

Sorry, then 4 matches for each team. I guess they mean in the qualifying rounds. Then it's knock out.

10 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Probably every male and most of the females in Thailand. Clearly you are out of touch, but I'm surprised you feel a need to broadcast it. If you have no interest in the World Cup then better to remain quiet rather than make a flippant and ignorant comment. Five billion around the world are expected to watch it.

BangkokBarry has his knickers in a twist.

He thinks the whole world loves football - but they don't. 

3 minutes ago, Graemej100 said:

By a long way football is the most popular sport in the world. 

You are free to read a book !!...   the question really begs, if you have such a disinterest in football, why are you even remotely interested in a thread about ‘watching football in Thailand’ ????

10 hours ago, lujanit said:

Who really cares?

1,120,000,000 globally watched the last WC Final...  So.. what do you think ???

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Graemej100 said:

Not the whole world - only 5 billion. If you aren't interested and don't plan to watch it, fine. Some like NHL, some don't. Some like cricket, some don't. Some like tennis, some don't. But football is the number one sport in the world, and my original response was to answer the question posed, which was who cares? The answer was 5 billion care enough to watch. That seems to offend you.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

But he has the same right as you to express his own opinion, and I agree with him 100%.

IMHO most professional footballers are vastly overpaid ham actors acting very badly, and certainly not worth the ridiculous salary that they are paid.

However that is just my personal opinion.

Your opinion may be different and you are more than welcome to express it.

I absolutely agree.....  massively, astronomically overpaid... 

The World Cup is still a very enjoyable spectacle to watch and football in general is enjoyable to watch, as are the vast majority of competitive sports when we understand them. 

5 minutes ago, NONG CHOK said:

The money should be for the poor people up north. Things such as education, health etc are barely 3rd World standards. Let the Thai hisos and farangs who need to watch the World cup buy a VPN like I do to watch certain sports.

Flawed thinking... Although people... Thai hi-so’s, Farangs and most middle class already have their VPN’s and IPTV to watch the football and have been doing so for years... 

This who story is about providing football on the free terrestrial channels so that everyone else can watch... Not just the poor people up north, but also in the central, eastern, wester, and southern regions... 

I’m not sure why you singled out only the poor up north, but it highlights that you didn’t give this a great deal of thought. 

Thai TV just reported that a definite deal had been struck for all games to be shown free.  FIFA reduced the price to 1.1 billion and the money was found somewhere.

Perhaps each side waved skeletons from each other's closets and decided that a deal was in everyone's interests.