I got angry today, as always "thai people know it better, your way might work in farangland, but this is Thailand" ...

AndyAndyAndy

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Taken me 16 years.......but unless what they are suggesting is life threatening.......

....put on a studious face, pretend to listen in earnest, nod IN AGREEMENT in a wise and knowledgeable manner..........and hey presto......... life goes on.

Afterwards, you can always go into the bathroom and scream f***, f***, f*** into a towel.

Agreed.

Smile and nod has diffused many a situation in many places.????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lew said:

I forget where I picked this up, but it's very effective in these circumstances, and not just with my wife:  "You may be right, I'll think about it."  Then just get on with whatever you were doing.

'You may be right'.......OMG.....what are you thinking?

That would result in at least half a day's worth of sulking.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Totally understand you Op.. 

OK.. not with my Wife though, she’s smart and backs me up on pretty much everything having experienced my logic vs local logic on many situations... 

Best story I can tell is a ‘toilet problem’ in a house we’d just moved into. 

4 toilets in the house. Ground floor ‘guest’ toilet wouldn’t flush after a week (after we’d moved in). 

They blamed the fault on ‘having used the toilet’...

Of course we’d used it. They asked if we’d done any #2’s in there...  

Yes was my answer...  Oh, farang cannot #2 in this toilet...  Utterly exasperated and irritated. 

I asked they why it said American-Standard and not ’Thai Standard’...   

The lifted the toiled and found the toilet was misaligned with the exit pipe, only allowing for 1/4 area of the waist / flush at the ‘joint’...   

Both Wife and I incredulous at the excuses coming out of their mouth until we both got quite annoyed and they uncleared the blockage, but the toilet to this day remins misaligned - to realign it would take a major piece of work to re-pipe underneath the house. 

Usually that is where builders rubble or lunchtime plastic bags end up during internal constructions.

Fancy doing a #2 in the "ugly chair" - dirty farang.????????

It is possibly time for you to floor the gas. Finish the roof and tell your wife to shut up. She likes it = fine, she does not like it = fine too. Tell her, that those footing the bills are those who decide and if you decided to do the job yourself, you might have had your reasons. 

Alternatively leave the roof unfinished and tell the Missus to finish the job with whoever she wants as long as it is her money ???? After all it is a shed for her motorbike 8-) 

Make sure that the Thai expert gets a hand tip from you in compensation for the headache with your wife so he might be available in the future for less complicated work you do not want to do yourself. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, it is what it is said:

thankfully, i only date educated, professional thai women, many of whom have traveled extensively, and so have never had to deal with such parochial views on life.

If thats the case, then tell me why so many people in the western world believe in so many fairytales and conspiracy theories that is far from proven. 

My wife asked me if I believed in Jesus magical stories, walking on water, raised from death, water to wine and so on, and I had to answer her the truth. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, curtklay said:

Reminds me of when I had a/c units installed at my house. I noticed they didn't run ground wires. When I asked why, they said "No need. Electricity different in Thailand". I insisted they ground the units. With the amount of rainfall and lightning they get here, I was astounded at their ignorance.

Yes, every now and again you need to put the foot down and demand something is done 100% correctly.

In general I don't care if people do things wrong, so long as it's going to end up coming back on them.

I've been surrounded by plenty of idiots my entire life, you get used to it after a while so unless it affects me directly I simply don't care about the obvious consequences of their follies - maybe they will learn in the end but I doubt it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

If thats the case, then tell me why so many people in the western world believe in so many fairytales and conspiracy theories that is far from proven. 

My wife asked me if I believed in Jesus magical stories, walking on water, raised from death, water to wine and so on, and I had to answer her the truth. 

That does not make all farangs wrong, that makes you wrong for believing in 2,000 year old fairy-tales passed down from uneducated peasants.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

That does not make all farangs wrong, that makes you wrong for believing in 2,000 year old fairy-tales passed down from uneducated peasants.

I did not say what I belived, and I am afraid I do not believe at all, but many, to many do. Kind of funny thow you made that assumption

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

Sorry, from your post I thought that you meant that your truth was that you were a believer.

My bad.

I see that now, bad on my side

The truth is, the west has as many controversies seen from a Asian stand as we have against them. Politically also, not just in faith and fairytales. Especially important to remember these days when the big powers again pulling in the strings in the region. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

After 7 years of living here and 20 years of visiting I have learned one very important thing:  Do not give advice to or disagree with a Thai person if you are a foreigner.  In essence smile, keep my mouth closed, pay and of course tip generously.  

In 50 years Thailand will have new, shiny new buildings, high speed rail,  electric vehicles but unfortunately the same mindset.  I also read today that the US will help build a nuclear reactor in Thailand.  I am not sure if this is a good idea.  

Usa and Europe did come a long way in 50 years, and now backtripping again. I believe Asia will take giant steps the next decades, because it is here the economic growth will happen. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 2