TAT confirms New Year activities NOT canceled nationwide as reports of tourists canceling hotel bookings rise

webfact

We all know what is going on and that events over the next few days could easily lead to a cancellation no matter what TAT says today. Any cancellations are regrettable but not surprising and will not affect the international tourism sector.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brommers said:

We all know what is going on and that events over the next few days could easily lead to a cancellation no matter what TAT says today. Any cancellations are regrettable but not surprising and will not affect the international tourism sector.

BUsiness first, as it would looks good for the holiday season, after New Year, we go back to reality

2 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

Correct. I think it's a good idea to party at home. No crowds, no traffic jams, no Covid and no big expenses. And whatever you do, the new year will come whether you want it or not.

If you're not into fireworks, as only interesting part of NYE/NY for me.  Seen them more than a few times at riverside Krung Thep, and quite impressive shows.  Especially with ICONSIAM now.

Wouldn't mind seeing again, but hotels are getting a little silly priced, and if not staying close, then a little too much effort for me, just to see fireworks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

There is NO cancelation order or any change on activities for the ‘Amazing Thailand Countdown 2023’ which will be held by the TAT together with private operators.

So cancel the festivities in Khao San Road, but grant a 500 M budget to Central to hold Festivities.

Herd them sheeple into the Malls to get them spending Money me thinks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

So cancel the festivities in Khao San Road, but grant a 500 M budget to Central to hold Festivities.

Herd them sheeple into the Malls to get them spending Money me thinks.

Khaosan ha s cancelled countdown, but the rest activities are going on. All pubs, clubs, restaurants are opened and each one will have countdown, music and all night parties.

If central would cancel, they will lose their 500mln investment and not any music concerts, after midnight party will take place there. They would have to dismantle music stage and cordon off an area, to prevent party goers from polluting their grounds. 

Tourists are cancelling rooms and activities now because they are scared they will lose their payments, if they delay and try to cancel at the last moment. 

There is also a possibility, that their bookings might be cancelled by hotels, restaurants etc without refunds or only partia refund.

So they prefer make already now some alternatives, rather in their locations and communities. 

There are secret orders from the ministry of education and earlier from the  ministry of justice, to cancel new year celebrations. Some schools, including the governmental ones, had already cancelled xmass parties, that yet before ministry order and even they are not connected with new year celebrations.

"The Education Ministry issued a "most urgent" directive on Thursday for all its offices nationwide to cancel New Year parties out of respect for HRH Princess Bajrakitiyabha who remain unconscious at Chulalongkorn Hospital" 

https://www.facebook.com/KhaosodEnglish/posts/pfbid026XiBMZvPxVmdKDLRW5jzc8ugwJv4AV9R2h5vo69nyXJLV6GZsATmytYcJ1ZQdpk7l

"Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha said Tuesday there is "yet" a request by the government for the private sector and the general public to refrain from having festive holiday parties. The remark came after the Office of the Court of Justice decided to cancel new year parties and asked its officials to make merit for HRH Princess Bajrakitiyabha who remain unconscious and hospitalised." 

https://www.facebook.com/KhaosodEnglish/posts/pfbid029vccp39eT7nQevPDfdGvyf7ojSwrSrU2jAMz5ALAPxhHFVf3r2ahk9UGNdBAe2YRl

Edited by internationalism

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Just can't help themselves.

Never can and when it doesn't happen it will be because something bad happened...it will then also be said to be travel related issues for the domestic tourists which affected them from arriving.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, internationalism said:

Tourists are cancelling rooms and activities now because they are scared they will lose their payments, if they delay and try to cancel at the last moment. 

These are the ones in the know.  Any day now a huge announcement will be made public and those not in the know will lose money.

19 minutes ago, mikebell said:

These are the ones in the know.  Any day now a huge announcement will be made public and those not in the know will lose money.

Just heard another Family member has heart issues as well.  One wonders if the huge announcement you indicate the possibility of will bring about the wearing of black clothing. Let's hope not.

today's.

Looks like several other governmental agencies, on top of the education and justice ministries, have also cancelled their celebrations, but in some other way than ministerial orders. 

"Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha said on Monday the government doesn't have a specific position on whether to hold or cancel New Year party and both government agencies and private companies can decide by themselves.

The remark came after the Education Ministry, the Office of the Court of Justice and a few agencies cancelled the party out of respect for HRH Princess Bajrakitiyabha who remain unconscious at hospital."

https://www.facebook.com/KhaosodEnglish/posts/pfbid02ikb27EKJMwfAxg215UTA9oy796uNhbYQZFdUHCU3zg2cho7664fbWXTiaDnh7Mbsl

6 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I like to think that's true but I also think the state of covid in China could be a game changer.

Covid won't be the game changer in the next 72 hours. Something else will be. Even my taxi driver speaking good English mentioned this yesterday. I was surprised he discussed this.  He also had made only 682 baht and had been out driving 10 hours. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Meanwhile the Khao San private sector announced the cancelation of the Countdown 2023 due to what they called a ‘fragile time’.

Huh? Covid is barely a factor anymore. What on earth are they going on about? 

Don't you know who's in hospital? That's what it's about.

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

Always best to at least book hotels with cancellation 24-48 hours before with no penalties.  Just harder to do with airfares however ( or expensive). 

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Meanwhile the Khao San private sector announced the cancelation of the Countdown 2023 due to what they called a ‘fragile time’.

Huh? Covid is barely a factor anymore. What on earth are they going on about? 

A Princess in hospital, unconscious I believe... where have you been hiding?

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

News this morning shows cases rising and hospitals becoming full again in China and China allowing travel...... 

Not just for the New Year but should China be allowed to export the virus worldwide again after the explosion of cases there? Their zero covid policy has failed, their vaccination program inneffective and now countries around the world could be overun by Chinese travellers once more. Will countries place restrictions on those coming from China? It would be a very sensible move. 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

A Princess in hospital, unconscious I believe... where have you been hiding?

But why would that be a fragile time and countdowns to be canceled? So many other things happening as well as I alluded to in an earlier post.

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

But why would that be a fragile time and countdowns to be canceled? So many other things happening as well as I alluded to in an earlier post.

I can see it as a sensitive time for the Thais... now they try to make a balancing act!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I can see it as a sensitive time for the Thais... now they try to make a balancing act!

Balancing act with a second family member having heart issues, a sunken Naval Ship with many dead and missing, upcoming elections, the backpeddaling on the cannabis law which tourists were coming for, and then the current immigration crackdowns on overstayers and Chinese triads, would that make the Thai people fragile at this time of year?, or is it economy related, or is there something very somber they are expecting to hear which makes celebrating the New Year unimportant?  All things which are questions unto there own and in my view not things where celebrating the end of 2022 and moving forward should not be celebrated.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1