What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2023)

CharlieH

On 3/3/2023 at 10:26 AM, bamnutsak said:

Poker Face , Peacock, 10 eps (9 released as of today), Rian Johnson-helmed, he directed the penultimate epsiode which was amazing. Natasha Lyonne is awesome, guest star list is beyond incredible. 10/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x2NzusLAqk

Thanks for the recommendation. I just finished watching the first season and really thought it was great. I hope the quality remains the same for a second season.

• Confused 1

On 4/7/2023 at 11:07 PM, LosLobo said:

Just watched this great movie!

As usual for movies of sci fi genre it is highly under-rated!

If you appreciate a good sci fi movie you will not be disappointed!

PS Don't watch the trailer as it would be a spoiler!

'65'; The First Trailer & Poster For The Sci-Fi Thriller Tease Adam Driver Vs. Dinosaurs 1

'Great' .... that's a bit of a stretch.  On your advice, didn't watch trailer, but did read the summary, which make the last scene, non sensible, along with the beginning 'crash' statement. 

On 4/8/2023 at 7:54 AM, giddyup said:

A complete load of drivel and not even deserving of the 5.6 IMDB score. One of the worst movies so far this year.

'drivel' ... also a bit of a stretch.  5.6 is about right,  OK time killer, but don't expect much more.  Glad it was there, as I ran out of things to watch.

• Thumbs Up 1

Anybody watched John Wick 4? I tried last night but the picture first couple of minutes just seemed off.......

Initially on Kodi and then downloaded from PB. I only watched about the first 5 minutes due to the, to me, perceived quality issue and both sources had irritating french subs. 

Is it just me? 

4 minutes ago, topt said:

Anybody watched John Wick 4? I tried last night but the picture first couple of minutes just seemed off.......

Initially on Kodi and then downloaded from PB. I only watched about the first 5 minutes due to the, to me, perceived quality issue and both sources had irritating french subs. 

Is it just me? 

Not available anywhere in HD yet as far as I know, apart from the cinema

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "great movie", but it was an okay movie when there wasn't much else on to watch, and it filled my evening as a movie which didn't take a lot of fathoming out, no twisted/convoluted plots and no mind bending finale.

Okay for blobbing out and relaxing.

Thank you and also the others who replied !

It is good that we can all respectfully discuss the topic.

Interesting how different people have different opinions, it would be a boring forum if we all agreed on everything.

Different strokes etc....

How would you compare it to say "NOPE", the sci fi movie about the UFO "bed sheet" which had some initial critics acclaim it a 9/10 rating!

IMO it was the worst movie of 2022!

• Confused 1

Just now, topt said:

Is it just me? 

It hasn't been digitally released yet...

image.png.a3682c6960d249b502387d029825e6cf.png

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

How would you compare it to say "NOPE", the sci fi movie about the UFO "bed sheet" which had some initial critics acclaim it a 9/10 rating!

IMO it was the worst movie of 2022!

I always try and respect other people's opinions, because I know we are all different in our likes and dislikes, and as an example of that a friend of mine who is a highly intelligent man thought that the latest Avatar movie was great, whereas I switched it off after about 20 minutes because it did nothing for me!

Having said all that, he is into the Marvel comic/Batman/Spider-Man stuff, whereas I am not.

Like you, I could not get my head around the movie "Nope" and although I'm sure there were worse movies released in 2022, this has to be one of them IMO – – perhaps it was the prelaunch hype which raised my expectations, only to be dashed by the actual movie.

PS. On the subject of likes and dislikes, the intelligent friend I mentioned hated the movie, "The Power of the Dog", whereas I thought it was a good movie.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

It would be a Cam copy.

That's what I was thinking even though some of the feeds/downloads specifically said Cam in the description but the ones I looked at didn't. Can't trust anything these days......:biggrin:

I read that John Wick 4 had won some award, so I thought 'Start at the Beginning' and got 1,2,3 & 4 from PBay. Struggled through No 1, and quit No 2 after 15 minutes. Total rubbish. No wonder there is so much gun crime in USA. 

Alumim AKA Unknowns

A few episodes in and enjoying this one.
On TPB with hard-coded subs.

The story of a group of boys, living in the margins of the Israeli society and passing their time in a school for at-risk youth. One day, after a local girl is raped, the boys become the immediate suspects, their already unbalanced world gets completely disturbed.

The series deals with the question of the chance these boys have in order to break the cycle of violence they’re in. This is a story of cruel and magical friendship between boys who will sacrifice anything just to avoid their own destiny.

• Thanks 2

On 4/4/2023 at 2:16 PM, xylophone said:

Finished watching "The Devils Hour" last night and was deeply disappointed that IMO it became a bit of a tangled mess towards the end.

Started off well and then lost me further on along the way. 

Interesting for SF/fantasy fans, but it does require patience. Peter Capaldi, great acting. Ambiguity at the end works w/ the surrealistic timeline differences. 

The Devil’s Hour Explained: The Ending, Gideon, Lucy, Isaac and…Everything

30 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Interesting for SF/fantasy fans, but it does require patience. Peter Capaldi, great acting. Ambiguity at the end works w/ the surrealistic timeline differences. 

The Devil’s Hour Explained: The Ending, Gideon, Lucy, Isaac and…Everything

I did seek out some explanations as to the ending, or indeed as to the basics of the movie, so your link is not news to me (thanks all the same) however having absolutely no knowledge of Nietzsche and his “eternal recurrence” scenario, the movie made no sense to me.

Far too complex for an old guy watching a late-night series, IMO!!!

36 minutes ago, xylophone said:

however having absolutely no knowledge of Nietzsche and his “eternal recurrence” scenario, the movie made no sense to me.

Reincarnation, close 'nuff. Altering timelines and ripple effects = common SF trope. Cf. Back To The Future. I first encountered it as a kid reading Ray Bradbury's story, "A Sound of Thunder,"  in The Golden Apples Of The Sun. Here, though, residual memories of other timelines, central to the plot, complicate things. And the creepy kid moves between them, like alternate universes--now that's really too much.

Often leads to contrived coincidences; no exception here, rather annoying. 

Edited by BigStar