What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2023)

CharlieH

I watched Ghosted last night... not expecting much but it was quite an enjoyable movie.

Listed as an Action/Adventure/Comedy/Romance, it stars Chris Evans and the very attractive Ana de Armas.

Some other well-known faces pop up regularly throughout the movie too.

ghosted.jpg.df7bccc2d16682f84022d598431d9766.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2023 at 4:52 PM, Henk Langeweg said:

Seen of both the 1st episode, it's a draw.

the US Diplomat is a clear winner for me, although the UK series has prettier landscapes.

but the UK series has a very shaky handheld camera, made me feel a bit seasick at times.

didn't like the plot or the characters, I didn't finish episode 1. I'll free up the space on my NAS.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, tgw said:

the US Diplomat is a clear winner for me, although the UK series has prettier landscapes.

but the UK series has a very shaky handheld camera, made me feel a bit seasick at times.

didn't like the plot or the characters, I didn't finish episode 1. I'll free up the space on my NAS.

Agree, enjoyed the US Diplomat series, along with also didn't make it through the 1st episode of UK version.

12 hours ago, tgw said:

You cannot really compare them, it's not 2 versions of the same plot. Only the name is the same which makes it uneasy to find the one you're looking for. That's the main reason I mentioned it here.

Btw. Huge fan of Rufus Sewell 

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001722/?ref_=tt_ov_st

Involved in many good series, Kaleidoscope, The Diplomat (US) and The Man in the High Castle. Specially the last one is a very good one imho.

Edited by Henk Langeweg

6 hours ago, Henk Langeweg said:

You cannot really compare them, it's not 2 versions of the same plot. Only the name is the same which makes it uneasy to find the one you're looking for. That's the main reason I mentioned it here.

Btw. Huge fan of Rufus Sewell 

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001722/?ref_=tt_ov_st

Involved in many good series, Kaleidoscope, The Diplomat (US) and The Man in the High Castle. Specially the last one is a very good one imho.

just comparing in terms of like/dislike and if I keep it on my NAS after watching or not.

yes, I agree about Rufus Sewell,

The Man in the High Castle was a good series, interesting plot.

It didn't achieve a permanent place on my NAS though. The beginning of the series was good, in the middle it meanders and I feel the ending was rushed. **** nevertheless ????

• Like 1

another series I recently watched:

Red rose **

UK series about youths threatened by a dangerous phone app.

I definitely needed subtitles!

Interesting premise, but I felt the story was "schlepping" to borrow from Yiddish. Watched the first episode and then part of the second and the series failed to hook me.

The story is interesting, but the way it was treated made me feel like the series didn't use it to its full potential, I hope something similar gets made, but this time with an app with much much darker motives.

Edited by tgw

On 5/3/2023 at 8:58 PM, tgw said:

The old man **

an old man with a dark background.

the story has a few good twists, but didn't impress me. the acting isn't stellar, I disliked the lead actor playing the "old man".

Good start, but then the badass old man, suffering an amazingly rapid cognitive decline, quickly let a ditzy woman castrate him and start calling shots. Modern Hollywood. Tossed it after the 3rd episode or so.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I was quite looking forward to seeing "The Pope's Exorcist", however would say that it was only just above average at best, borrowing from the original "Exorcist", "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "Romancing the Stone".

And the movie wasn't really about the actual "possession" per se, but about a secret buried a long time ago – – will stop there because I don't want to give anything away.

If anyone hasn't seen the original "Exorcist" movie then they should, because that is the movie which makes every other movie about that subject, pale into insignificance.

Also watched one that I wasn't too sure about, called "Jesus Revolution" and as I am an atheist I was a bit reluctant to watch it, but some feedback on it suggested it wasn't quite how it sounded, although I have to say that sitting through it, was a bit "difficult". 

However, it was based on an actual movement around the 60s hippie era, which continued for many years, and is based on a true story.

37 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I was quite looking forward to seeing "The Pope's Exorcist", however would say that it was only just above average at best, borrowing from the original "Exorcist", "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "Romancing the Stone".

Can't say I was looking forward to it, as 'exorcist/possession' movies don't do it for me, not even close.  Maybe because I'm an Atheist.  Hope Crowe would help it out a bit ... but no.   Kept dozing off during it.   

The possessed kid did an excellent job.  Ending took a different direction than most.

Remember watching 'the Exorcist' at the theater, thought it a great comedy, and I kept on getting shushed by people in front of me.   I was laughing, others seemed to be petrified .... ????  which added to my humor of it.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I assumed it's based on the Dust Silo series of books written by Hugh Howey.

The books were good!

Gave it 15 minutes, didn't grab me.

'Black Ops' UK comedy  is watchable & tackles wokism head-on.

In the sixties there was a programme called 'The Prisoner' with Patrick McGoohan. It was very popular despite most people having no idea of what's happening; last night I got that same feeling with a series called 'Mrs Davis.' I think the body count in the 1st episode was over a hundred in numerous different ways of killing.

The movie 'Mafia Mamma' was also an exercise in novel & amusing methods of bloodletting.

• Thanks 1

Silo **** (so far)

Watched the two first episodes - I will watch more.

Interesting story.

I think I won't give too much away if I say the story so far took place inside a place called "the silo", hundreds of levels where people live confined.

Apparently, it is set some time in the not too far future, but the people forgot everything about their past, and doing research about the past is forbidden. Objects from the past are called "relics" and are for the most part illegal.

For the series I hope the story has a plan to breakout of the silo, similarly to "the maze runner" and have plenty of content after a breakout, otherwise this will become tedious and boring.

So far, we haven't seen much about the technology the silo people master and many questions remain open, where do the crops come from, where are production facilities for computer parts, light bulbs, medicine, AIR ? etc.
they have electric lights everywhere, but no elevator for hundreds of levels, instead they have "porters" which run up and down the stairs, which seems strange, because there already were elevators before the middle ages in our own civilisation. Travelling up the whole silo apparently takes a day.

That's the kind of detail that disturbs me when watching a show. If there are too many, it becomes stupid and I can't watch anymore ????

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 8:58 PM, tgw said:

The peripheral ***

near-future sci fi.

interesting premise, and story ok if the public is willing to overlook scenario weaknesses.

I enjoyed the peripheral.

It must be time for a second series.

Storyville:  Attica: America’s Bloodiest Prison Uprising

RAR

On September 9th 1971 inmates at Attica maximum security facility in New York State rioted and seized control of the jail, taking guards hostage. When negotiations failed, the authorities stormed the prison, dropping tear gas from helicopters and firing hundreds of live rounds.

At least 39 people were killed, including nine of the hostages.

• Like 1

Damn - I just watched third episode of The Citadel last night - I finished the episode and I had no idea what I had just watched, total pile of steaming crap.

Paramount+ has had some decent stuff recently, I downloaded Fatal Attraction, will give it a look along with The Silo - I think this series of The Curse is slightly better than the last, good for a 30 min break watch.

• Like 1