Chinese could flock to "paradise" and "cheap" Thailand 

webfact

1 hour ago, newnative said:

You can always find this or that product which is cheaper in one country than another country.  You've found a brand of water that is more expensive in Thailand.  Safeway, in the USA, offers two brands of fish sauce.  One costs $5.79 and the other is $8.49.  You can buy a bottle of fish sauce at Big C for 33 baht, about a dollar.  So, we have a brand of water that's cheaper in Europe and fish sauce that's more expensive in the US.  Is either meaningful?  No. 

It's more important to look at the big picture and focus on a wide range of everyday expenses when a comparison is done.   I was just on a website--livingcost.org--that allowed me to type in two cities and compare the cost of living.  I live in the beach city of Pattaya and I compared the cost of living to the beach city of Myrtle, Beach SC, in the US.  The cost of living in Myrtle Beach was 3 times higher than Pattaya.   That's a meaningful number, far more important than a small saving on a certain brand of bottled water.

So please compare Pattaya or Phuket with Shanghai or Beijing.

Sorry, Busy Bee did it already. Cheers.

Edited by KannikaP

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Cheap ! , it used to be ,but those days are going fast , Housing is cheap , everything

else not .

regards Worgeordie

I did a lot of price comparisons between Thailand and UK back in 2019 before we left Thailand.  From our weekly shop to fuel for my vehicle and vehicle prices. It shocked me that food had become more expensive in Thailand (we shopped in Tops and Big C). When I purchased my first vehicle in Thailand in 2005 "Triton 4x4" it cost the equivalent to £11,500 and in the uk it cost nearly £30k. Then when I replaced it in 2012 vehicles that were manufactured in Thailand had become several thousand pounds more expensive in Thailand than the same vehicle exported to the UK and sold. Even motorbikes used to be cheaper in Thailand but now are more expensive in Thailand than their exports to the UK.

Where I saved money on fuel in the uk compared to Thailand was simple I don't drive a 3lt SUV in the uk (uk 2 cars Rav4 and a Honda jazz). We don't drive as far in the uk for shopping, school and social.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

"Not just tourism - Chinese want to live in Thailand because its cheap".

Snapping up all those empty Condo's and moving in, not going to get banged up at home again.

I can see property prices rocketing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1