Travel insurance warning after Welshman's motorbike crash

webfact

8 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

There are a lot of posts here from people who have not even bothered to read the linked article.  Seriously, why even bother posting and advancing your opinion if you have not even bothered to read the background article?

One second, yes just checked the url, it's the Asean Now website. The issue you raised goes hand in hand with people answering questions (correctly or incorrectly) that have been done and dusted months before and likely posting basically the same thing that has been posted numerous times. It's great isn't it :coffee1:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

Nobody should sign any contractual agreement without reading and understanding each clause. This has nothing to do with supposed "fine print" but has everything to do with the customer performing due diligence and understanding what T & C's that he or she is agreeing to.

I didn't have to check the fine print; with Southern Cross Travel Insurance there's a prompt as part of the online application - do you require motorcycle cover? - with a Yes/No before continuing towards payment.

It's a small additional premium and is highlighted as 'covered' on the one-page confirmation of travel insurance which accompanies the full policy. 

54 minutes ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

Best insurance ever.

Another Darwin award really.

Do you like your life? Fancy not living the rest of it in a wheelchair or perhaps in a bed? Stay off motorcycles.

So your not a motorbike enthusiast I presume.  Don't knock it if you have never ridden a bike, and no I am not talking about the dodo birds who have never ridden, jump on one here while on vacation and then do not wear a helmet, those are the idiots. 

Driving a car or riding in one can also put you in a wheelchair or in a bed, seem many of them during a 30+ year in law enforcement doing traffic accident investigations.  Everyone is just 1 foot out of the grave every day, and yet you think you are bullet proof if you don't ride a motorbike, better think again. 

• Like 1

It’s clearly an unfortunate situation.

I agree that nearly all forms of insurance really do come down to “fine” print.. rightly or wrongly, unless it’s an expressly covered event, then it’s not.. that’s just how insurance works … and how it’s priced I might add.. Obviously, the more perils a policy covers and the higher the likely hood of a payout becomes, will naturally have a sizable impact on premiums…. so the more comprehensive the policy, the more likely a claim, the higher the premium and perhaps the tighter the underwriting criteria also becomes. 

unfortunately many policies aren’t written for the layman to easily read and understand-  but to me, that’s somewhat a result of the litigation risk an insurer may be exposed to if they were to only release a “layman’s” policy wording and not one that is fully vetted by their legal counsel.

I also agree that the proposed (but as far as I am aware, not yet actually implemented) B300 tourist tax*, is not designed, as far as I’ve read and seen details, to be a wholesale replacement for individuals buying their own coverage-  but rather acts as a safety net - for catastrophic cases, has not been actually implemented, thus no relief from that end either.

I have empathy for him and his family.. they’ve got a long physical recovery ahead, plus their financial obligations as well.

16 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

I didn't have to check the fine print; with Southern Cross Travel Insurance there's a prompt as part of the online application - do you require motorcycle cover? - with a Yes/No before continuing towards payment.

It's a small additional premium and is highlighted as 'covered' on the one-page confirmation of travel insurance which accompanies the full policy. 

I would be very surprised if that cover didn’t also come with conditions relating to motorcycle cover as with other insurers. Mainly,you must have a licence from your own country to drive a motorcycle and you must be wearing a helmet and are not intoxicated. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Travel insurance also, from the main article, only covered him for 30 days. One wonders why his policy was not longer as most policies cover you for as short as 31 days up to 3 months or even longer.

That's not quite accurate. According to the article the overall policy was valid for a year but there was a clause that said it would only be valid for 31 days in any given country, which he apparently had not noticed.

So to summarize the key points.

1. Only drive or vehicle you have the proper training or license to use.

2. Read, understand and ask questions prior to usage about any insurance provided, or purchased and the exclusions.

3. Don't drive faster than you can safely operate a motorbike.

4.  Always wear proper safety gear operating a motorbike.

5. Have financial resources quickly available in case they are needed.

6. Lastly in Thailand especially, you are accountable and responsible for making sure all registration, documentation, insurance, license, condition of motorbike and riding environment is adequate.

Seems like a lot but with some knowledge, experience, research and a checklist I believe it is possible for anyone to check.

• Like 1

Not the first or last time this will happen.

The more people get educated and read their actual policies, they can then see that one size, doesn't necessarily fit all.

I could say Som Nom Nah, but hope he has a speedy recovery, learns from his mistake and pays back his family the money he burdened them with to pay his medical bills.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Does Thai law state this is a requirement of their 'license' to trade?

(rhetorical)

Only third party insurance is required.

Not many uk travel insurers cover motorcycles, in fact several specifically exclude them.

Nationwide includes up to 125cc so long as you have a license, wear a crash helmet and not drunk.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

That's not quite accurate. According to the article the overall policy was valid for a year but there was a clause that said it would only be valid for 31 days in any given country, which he apparently had not noticed.

That has been a fairly standard clause in Annual Travel Insurance policies for over 20 years - although from memory was one trip rather than country. Again, from memory, some had longer trip durations  but with a much higher premium.

For the poster who asked who took out travel insurance for trips in the 90s - I always did, without exception.

You would also have thought that anybody buying any insurance, or getting it as an add on for free, would read the Ts and Cs to make sure they were properly covered but what do I know :coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, topt said:

That has been a fairly standard clause in Annual Travel Insurance policies for over 20 years - although from memory was one trip rather than country. Again, from memory, some had longer trip durations  but with a much higher premium.

For the poster who asked who took out travel insurance for trips in the 90s - I always did, without exception.

You would also have thought that anybody buying any insurance, or getting it as an add on for free, would read the Ts and Cs to make sure they were properly covered but what do I know :coffee1:

OK, but the implication was that he'd bought a policy that was only valid for a trip of 30 days in total. I was just pointing out that wasn't the case.

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Was he licensed to operate a motorbike in his home country? If not then no insurance will cover his injuries. His Travel insurance also, from the main article, only covered him for 30 days. One wonders why his policy was not longer as most policies cover you for as short as 31 days up to 3 months or even longer. Rental companies also need to ensure folks have a proper license or IDP that shows they can operate a motorbike. I did not see on the article if he was licensed or not.

God speed and healing to the young man.

Vast majority is only 31 days this is a fact .If you need more obviously need to up grade to longer insurance 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

OK, but the implication was that he'd bought a policy that was only valid for a trip of 30 days in total. I was just pointing out that wasn't the case.

Sorry was not disagreeing with you but more pointing out to @ThailandRyan who you had replied to and others  but could not work out how to get a nested quote.........:wai:

1 hour ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

Yes, to be honest I obviously didn't read the article and just made an assumption he bought a cheap policy when he was signing up for his rent a bike.

But these sorts of trip insurance policies are next to worthless as well. Whenever we buy such policies to go to the United States I always hold my nose and hand over the money but know that they're pretty much worthless

No they are not if you read the policy ie most are only 31 days , slit don’t cover you for being on motor bike . So it’s really easy to extent to longer than 31 days and covers you on a bike .Not rocket science , if in doubt just ask insurance company . Most are just lazy and presume they are covered 

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Someone ignored the fine-print and things didn't go as he imagined.

What a surprise. Or maybe not?

31 days  insurance isn’t fine print and standard tbh , if in doubt just ask . Sad but not rocket science tbh 

29 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Not the first or last time this will happen.

The more people get educated and read their actual policies, they can then see that one size, doesn't necessarily fit all.

I could say Som Nom Nah, but hope he has a speedy recovery, learns from his mistake and pays back his family the money he burdened them with to pay his medical bills.

You live in a dream world if you think your list of requirements are going to happen in Thailand when renting a motorcycle 

40 minutes ago, new2here said:

unfortunately many policies aren’t written for the layman to easily read and understand-  but to me, that’s somewhat a result of the litigation risk an insurer may be exposed to if they were to only release a “layman’s” policy wording and not one that is fully vetted by their legal counsel.

My ex works in insurance, while she was drafting new and reviewing existing policy docs she asked me to edit them for her. The feedback she got on the edited versions when she resubmitted them was "Thank your husband for the excellent work he has done but unfortunately we can't use them. By correcting the grammar, and in particular the punctuation he has introduced, he has removed the built in ambiguity." That has stuck with me for decades (would have been mid '90s).

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sorry, but two things don't quite ring right with this story.

Firstly.  According to the linked BBC article, Adam Davies "sustained a fractured skull, bleed on the brain, punctured lung, broken ribs, broken clavicle, broken scapular and a fractured ankle".   Quite a tally of injuries and he's very lucky to be alive.

But take a close look at the published photo of him.  He looks remarkably well considering his recent trauma, relaxing on the beach, under the shade of a tree somewhere, enjoying a cool drink.  OK he's still got a chest drain in, but it would appear that he's out of hospital and that might indicate that someone has paid his hospital bill. 

image.jpeg.e11158db8294f8071be3001d46f7bfdf.jpeg.c11cd7d3ca443405325acd66108d45c9.jpeg

Secondly.  Several forum members have commented on the need to read the 'small print' in the insurance policy. 

FYI... approximately 15 years ago the UK Financial Ombudsman, who also oversees the insurance business in the UK, directed all UK insurance companies to write their policies in 'Plain Simple English' and clearly state what is, and what is not covered by the policy.

Adam doesn't look stupid and he shouldn't have had any difficulty reading the T&C of his insurance policy before he purchased it.  It is noted that he's Welsh, so he could have asked for a copy in Welsh if that was his preferred language.  So it's not a fault of the insurance company if he assumed that the policy covered him for world wide travel for 12 months instead of it being an annual premium that only covers him for short duration (e.g. 1 month) stays outside the UK.

• Like 1

When I looked into motorcycle insurance coverage  4 years ago for travel the requirements were a motorcycle addendum to your home country license, an international license which seemed redundant and just a money maker for AAA.   I do have a addendum and git an international tag 4 years ago but didn't use it.   This time I figured less chance to die if I'm not driving on the wrong side of the road. There may have been a CC scooter limit.  I use geo blue for travel Insurance and you pay for planned days out of country.  Wish I could have stopped USA coverage for the travel time.  I wou6have made money.  I admit even though in early Dec I knew COVID had a chance to affect me I didn't read if I'm covered for covid.  I got above basic coverage and it was about 85$/ mo.  

Edited by Elkski

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

It really doesn't happen to this extent that much. Probably every SINGLE occurrence is a thread here.  Who came here in the 90's, and early 2000's or before and took out travel insurance?  It's really not that common. Insurance for motorbikes is even more rare and usually you aren't covered completely even though you think so.  Things happen. Especially to younger people. Now we have go fund me. He's not an imbecile! That's over reacting. 

Not even close. I saw the aftermath (dead body) of a recently unreported motorcycle accident in Soi Buakhao, Pattaya, on the night of the soccer world cup. The rider killed himself and a pedestrian, both farangs.

Just today I witnessed two girls on a scooter get hit by a car turning into Big C extra from Sai 3. The girls suffered gravel rash. Me and a mate gave them 500 baht each to help buy medicines and left when the police turned up.

Edited by ozimoron

2 minutes ago, Elkski said:

an international license which seemed redundant and just a money maker for AAA. 

A requirement in many countries, Thailand included. So more of a less mercenary catch all than you think.

• Like 1

So, basically Thai insurance is worthless. There we go. It's funny, the legions of insurance addicts that will pontificate mercilessly about holding policy. Thai insurance is worthless save for SSO.

But these sorts of trip insurance policies are next to worthless as well. Whenever we buy such policies to go to the United States I always hold my nose and hand over the money but know that they're pretty much worthless

Ill informed statements.

Problem was duration of cover.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gomangosteen said:

Insurance there's a prompt as part of the online application - do you require motorcycle cover? - with a Yes/No before continuing towards payment.

Irrelevant if the problem was duration.

I had annual policies for many years and cover for any single trip varied. I had cover for 90 days but 42 or 45 was much more common, with some as low as 30 days.

Normally you get what you pay for but buying insurance from a bank would probably mean high price for low cover.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

So your not a motorbike enthusiast I presume.  Don't knock it if you have never ridden a bike, and no I am not talking about the dodo birds who have never ridden, jump on one here while on vacation and then do not wear a helmet, those are the idiots. 

Driving a car or riding in one can also put you in a wheelchair or in a bed, seem many of them during a 30+ year in law enforcement doing traffic accident investigations.  Everyone is just 1 foot out of the grave every day, and yet you think you are bullet proof if you don't ride a motorbike, better think again. 

Actually, I have ridden and owned motorcycles. Never would I ride one here and I got my wife off hers as well.

Dying on a bike is sop. I've known three men now deceased. The thing is it's often not the bikers fault especially here.

Dead right I suppose

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

It really doesn't happen to this extent that much. Probably every SINGLE occurrence is a thread here.  Who came here in the 90's, and early 2000's or before and took out travel insurance?  It's really not that common. Insurance for motorbikes is even more rare and usually you aren't covered completely even though you think so.  Things happen. Especially to younger people. Now we have go fund me. He's not an imbecile! That's over reacting. 

I beg to differ.  I will refer to him as an imbecile.  Just dumb that people do not have adequate insurance or 'think', hang on..  would I be covered riding a bike.. no helmet.. <deleted> on changs?  With no licence?  Ahh it wont happen to me... haha..  BUT, it does happen...

I refuse to contribute even 1 thb to these people on GoFundMe.. most are cheap charlies as well!  If I was the Doctor in his hospital, he would be waiting OUTSIDE until he could afford to pay for any treatment.

• Haha 1

Every 30 days you would have to land back in the UK," said Lucie.? "It was worldwide insurance, and for a year.?

Sounds to me like what he had was multitrip insurance and the above would be pretty much standard requirements.

• Like 2