Patong disgrace.

BarraMarra

I am thinking of staying a bit in Patong after a break of close to 10 years. I did go a few times and each stay I would think 'What am I doing here' The smell, the traffic, so built up, the suit sellers hassling you everywhere. Not fun. I do have a hotel I like there though and food is good. The beach can be nice or can be terrible. Last time there were little areas cordoned off by rope to swim so the jetskis and parasails could take over the beach. The sand in the water felt sticky and there was sometimes, but not always, plastic bags and other rubbish. Depends what you are after I suppose. Bang Tao, Laem Singh if it still accessible, and Kata and Karon of course much nicer as a beach. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, London Lowf said:

You need to choose better bars - the ones I frequent use pieces of carpet.

The stink comes from the Drains up and down Soi Bangla. To try and block the smell cardboard boxes are used to cover the grills. A pedestrianized promenade where you can't take a leisurely wall,  impossible due to the vendors riding up and down on bikes. Zebra crossings on the Beach Rd waste of time your likely to be hit walking on them because they're ignored. Yes the Pearl of the Andaman.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, eezergood said:

So many Patong (Phuket also?) haters...... why oh why are you all lurking on a Phuket page?? Just to rant to other Phuketians about how terrible it was? 

Warning those never been that it's not the best place to visit in LOS. Travel agents can make any place seem nice.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 10:51 AM, DrPhibes said:

The Suzy Wong group of places were not much better with huge bar fines (3k+) and ridiculous take home price requests from the ladies.

for realz ? hahahahahahahaha

i just today came back from phuket and frequented the wong. i was quoted 1k for the bar fine. 

ok here we go

after living in thailand for over 9 years now i finally made the trip this last week to phuket.

it is what it is. a huge tourist trap. overcrowded in patong to the max. loads of typical tourist scams etc and all that. 

compared to bkk patong was very clean. the beach i saw people out every day picking up garbage. 

talk about garbage and smell bkk has patong beat hands down.

as i was only in patong i can really only comment on that. in the 70's 80's and 90's patong would of been paradise.

now more like a sardine can mixed with a whole lot of different fish.

did a day trip to maya bay and phi phi. just as bad. maya bay you have to follow the walkway to the beach. splash your feet for 5 seconds and get hurried out of there. phi phi was just as crowded.

speed boats and longtails by the dozen. smelly fumes all over the place.

i am sure there are other places on phuket that are still nice but the tourist areas are a total gong show now.

the main reason i never even went in the first place. i came to thailand in 2003 and everyone told me then it was already overdone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I arrived in Phuket in October 2021 under the Sandbox scheme, stayed in Patong for 2 months - Not too many tourists & have to admit, i partied every night & had an amazing time - But the body couldn't handle it anymore, so left & found a much quieter place to live & chill out - I'm still here now. There are some very beautuful beaches in Phuket & i would be happy to go back there for a couple of weeks holiday, but not Patong for sure. Everyone has their own personal preferences & what is good for one person might not be good for the next person - You shouldn't knock someone just because their views differ from yours - Live & let live & keep an open mind.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 6:58 PM, jak2002003 said:

Well sounds perfect for the Chinese tourists.  They ate not expecting good standards like tourists from the west. That is why the government wants them rather than other nationalities.  

I took a Chinese airline with a stopover in the PRC (Guangzhou? i don't remember).

Entering the airport a number of people passed me hurrying to the restrooms.

I saw them enter the restrooms and immediately exit and go on looking for another.

When I got closer I discovered why.

Even in the corridor outside the restrooms the sewage smell was overpowering to the point

that no one was using the restroom.

The challenges of indoor plumbing have not been successfully met in at least one Chinese airport.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, London Lowf said:

Stop - you're making me nostalgic!

It's clear that you and a few others detest Patong - you are heavily outnumbered by those that love it, warts and all. Do you really think that anyone will be dissuaded from a holiday in Patong because of your comments?

I don't go on the Buriram forum (is there one?) telling everyone it's the pits - I accept that it's different strokes for different folks.

Of course lots will still go there, as few of them read this forum.

I used to like Patong, went there a lot, way back last century, but it became too ruined and too expensive. Lack of decent public transport and rip off tuk tuks finished it for me. Last time I went was after the tsunami, and I was saddened to see that they were rebuilding the same <deleted> again. They had the opportunity to rebuild it better, but chose not to.

20 hours ago, London Lowf said:

Stop - you're making me nostalgic!

It's clear that you and a few others detest Patong - you are heavily outnumbered by those that love it, warts and all. Do you really think that anyone will be dissuaded from a holiday in Patong because of your comments?

I don't go on the Buriram forum (is there one?) telling everyone it's the pits - I accept that it's different strokes for different folks.

i never said don't go to Patong Lowf. I posted my thoughts about Patong and what I saw but to anyone who dreams of going to Patong thinking its a dream holiday, your in for a big shock.

19 hours ago, swerve said:

I can understand the OP's Patong assessment.  But, what does Udon have going for it?

Cheaper, no scammers no bar scams cheap bar fines and lady drinks no hastleing or asking for lady drinks. Cheap Tuk Tuks. And there are no Putin draft dodgers and your not in New Delhi as you might think you are when you go to Phuket.

Edited by BarraMarra
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BarraMarra said:

Cheaper, no scammers no bar scams cheap bar fines and lady drinks no hastleing or asking for lady drinks. Cheap Tuk Tuks. And there are no Putin draft dodgers and your not in New Delhi as you might think you are when you go to Phuket.

Phuket is crowded and over-developed. There are, however, many other places in Phuket that are not like Patong.  Not sure why you didn't get out of Patong right away, as you disliked it so. I have been to Udon several times, but could never live there.  Each to his own.

• Like 1

Not practical for 3-4 day's Swerve as I was visiting friends who had not been to Phuket before and had booked their hotels in Patong. I am not slagging off Phuket it has some lovely Beaches like Kata, Karon even Paradise beach in Patong. Cape Panwa is beautiful and a great ride on a bike. It's just the reputation and the Mafia control that occurs and is accepted in Patong and the general appearance of the place.

19 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Udon and Issan generally are very cheap in comparison because it doesn't attract huge numbers of tourists. Also, for the bigoted, they are unlikely to come across Chinese, Russians, Indians and other nationalities they dislike.

I dislike Thais, so it's no good for me!