British woman, 20, left for dead in hit and run motorbike crash faces being thrown out of Thai hospital despite horrifying injuries after being hit with £40,000 medical bill

webfact

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Why aren't the insurers paying out? I'm guessing no helmet or licence 

Most likely true, so surely someone can say whether her insurance policy states that it does not cover motorcycle riding, or riding without the proper licence.

Simply, was she riding without a proper license and not covered by motorcycle insurance?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Do you have any links to any of these claims, which I don't dispute, but have no idea if they're true. 150% of the costs? Inter agency sharing of data? Between the NHS and Home Office?

Medical tourism is a huge cash cow for Thailand. $5 billion and counting pa. What you're talking about is the exploitation of free, or subsidised, medical services.

https://www.futuremarketinsights.com/reports/thailand-medical-tourism-market#:~:text=Thailand Medical Tourism Market Outlook,at a robust 18.4 % CAGR.

Hi,  Yes everything is true, below link  to how your application is dealt with

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1123969/Suitability_Debt_to_the_NHS.pdf

I know personally i was stopped a few years ago at Heathrow, i had a few thousand in cash. i was asked, where the money was from i had the bank receipt, he was happy, but took my passport and copied it down on a form, i asked him where the form went and he said other government agencies, i have no doubt this went to the HMRC, to see if i was paying tax,,

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-the-nhs-charges-overseas-visitors-for-nhs-hospital-care/how-the-nhs-charges-overseas-visitors-for-nhs-hospital-care

Any treatment that may have to be paid for will be charged at 150% of the national NHS rate.

As for health tourism i was talking about  visitors or even expats who are not habituality resident in uk , flying to the Uk to get free medical care, Thailand may be a health destination, but this is not for UK residents the Value of the sterling against the Baht, does not make it worth while, uk residents would just go to europe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wombat said:

You would need to read the fine print on the policy....what travel insurance doesn't cover would scare many out of traveling 

Of course with travel insurance check it covers motorcycles, over alcohol limit definitely a reason for claim denied along with no helmet or licence \IDP

1 hour ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Whilst I am sure you are correct, if they can wriggle out of paying they will?

Insurance companies like private hospitals in Thailand are there to make a profit?

It's possible to make an honest profit in business. I've had well over 3 million Baht worth of claims last year. I've been reimbursed to the maximum of the policy, and the insurer had renewed me as they should for the next year with only the 'medical inflation' percentage increase they apply to my age bracket. Some items were maybe outside the scope of cover but they were paid, a few were rejected as not 'directly' incurred for treatment (although they were treatment for a condition almost certainly brought on by the illness). I have no complaints to date. 

A European company, not one of the best known ones, with a Thai insurer acting locally for them. 

• Like 1

REnting a motorbike looks like a fun thing to do and rental shops are happy to rent them to people without motorcycle licences with no problems from corrupt cops they pay off. But a certain percentage of tourists end up dead or like this. Not worth it.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

17 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

The only victim seems to be the apparently innocent accident victim. 

Partly a victim of her own negligence, however. More, we dunno. Without a CCTV, the facts may never be known.

18 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Maybe Phipat (the c"*çn-in-chief of the tourism ministry) takes this as a pristine example, where tourism promotions worth eight and nine amounts in Baht are going out the window - latter also on behalf of the Thai taxpayer! 

Yah, we love to make dire prophecies about the entire future of Thai tourism whenever we imagine a tourist has been "mistreated" or a 7/11 cashier rounded up to the nearest satang. Not a one ever came true, nor will this one. Maybe tourists could take this as an example to have adequate insurance, have valid DLs for driving motorbikes, wear helmets, and, in general, avoid getting into potentially risky situations in foreign countries. But they won't. Maybe some gov't action will eventually intervene, like more requirements or use some of the 300 baht fee for insuring the idiots. Or, maybe not. ????

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Tourists should never ride m/bikes here, it's a foolish thing to do. 

I even see pensioners in Hua Hin on m/bikes, just don't do it, do you have a death wish or what? 

I agree. Bike riders don't see from their level, the views I have from  my truck, all they know is that they got through OK. What they don't see is how close they came to being squished and just how lucky they were. It's reality TV from inside the safety of a Vigo. Anyone who rides a bike here must be nuts, sorry, but the accident, the fatalities and the things I see every day, support that 100%, I don't care how experienced you are. The problem usually of course is not so much you and your skill, although some bike riders are just plain stupid, the problem is everyone else. We watch the newbie skin white tourists on their Honda Clicks, driving up the 107 on their way to Pai every day. She's on the back, playing with her phone, he's driving like he's driving through the Cotswolds, we usually wonder how far they will get in one piece.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, smedly said:

I generally agree with most of your post but "British Woman" was not called for, many people have accidents here while on holiday and they definetly are not all British women 

Hospils here are a racket (out of control) and there is no legislation to stop them - a look into the ownership of these establishments will reveal all.

I would like to see a breakdown of her bill itemised for every baht - ok she had a few broken bones which generally are not serious injuries in the grand scheme of things - dare I say routine - how her bill came to be almost 2m baht is quite frankly verging on extortion - Thailand is in need of a regulatary body to bring these theives under scrutiny - as far as I know there is no such thing and it is obvious why

We have all seen how the medical profession operated during the pandemic, I don't think I need to go into any details.

4 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

She should call their bluff (tossing her out) and transfer to a government hospital.

Also 40k...........surely the family could pass the hat around instead of begging online.

They could, but why not raise the money. They may even make a small (or big) profit, when all is done and dusted.

FMD, everyone is now instantly turning to 'GoFundMe' you fools.

4 hours ago, swm59nj said:

From how it sounds she was in extremely serious condition.  The story says she had a seven hour operation.  Which would be very extreme to begin with. . I would think that would justify the high medical cost alone. Also  with the aftercare she had to receive.   It’s not like she just had a broken arm and it was put in a cast. 
Too many people think they come to Thailand and everything should be inexpensive or a freebie.  Unfortunately that is not the case. 
The story says the “ Insurance. Company Is Dragging Their Heels ”.  That could mean the company is being slow to pay.  It doesn’t say they are refusing to pay.  

Dragging their heels means that they are looking for excuses not to pay out, using legal jargon and small print etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, NoshowJones said:

Dragging their heels means that they are looking for excuses not to pay out, using legal jargon and small print etc.

From the crowd funding page:

Now we know the insurance company aren't going to pay out we’re fundraising to try and raise some of the costs we need to cover Ruby's surgery, hospital care and to bring her back home to recover. 

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/rubyspry

4 hours ago, james2m said:

Why are you here if it’s a dump? ????

Thailand was not a dump when I first came here to stay 16 years ago, but it sure is now and I am not leaving my wife and family to go back home.

If I did now I would eventually lose all my life savings in energy bills.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Doesn't say where in Thailand?

From the linked Daily Mail report -- an 'island', take your pick::

But ahead of taking up the offer (from Costa Rica) she had wanted to see Thailand and was on a Thai island when the crash occurred on February 9.

Edited by jerrymahoney

5 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Exactly. This is extortion and should be a criminal offense. Treating a few broken bones does not cost 1.5 million baht. Not even close. They're overcharging her because she literally has no choice except pay up.

Had she not paid up or not had the means to , would the hospital do nothing and maybe let her die ?  Would a Thai be hit with the same bill ? I think not because she is being charged the falang price . This disgusting tactic has to stop , even if by international intervention that would expose Thailands corrupt nation . 

I am not too interested if she had insurance or not because insurance companies will always try to find ways to refuse to settle and even if they do they often drag their heels . 

We all know the dangers of riding motor bikes in Thailand but crossing the road is also a danger with pedestrian crossings included . 2 week tourists are  not so informed as well as long stayers and are not aware of the perils of Thailand . 

That 300 baht on arrival levy could have taken care of tourists insurance but once again money is number one in Thailand , even at the expence of a human life . There should be a health warning given to potential tourists to Thailand . 

4 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

It would be good to know what is included in the total, perhaps the damage to the bike is in there also. 

Another poster recently reported that he was taken into a large private hospital with acute pneumonia and stayed for three days before being transferred to a government hospital, his outstanding bill for the three days is 340k Baht. That cost makes no sense to me since I had a coronary stent inserted at Bangkok's best known private hospital for half that cost.

Hospitals are like immigration offices, they have their own rules and charges. The difference in charges for the same thing in my local hospital and the one 15 Ks away is astranomical, and they are both government hospitals. This is Thailand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, howerde said:

Hi,  Yes everything is true, below link  to how your application is dealt with

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1123969/Suitability_Debt_to_the_NHS.pdf

I know personally i was stopped a few years ago at Heathrow, i had a few thousand in cash. i was asked, where the money was from i had the bank receipt, he was happy, but took my passport and copied it down on a form, i asked him where the form went and he said other government agencies, i have no doubt this went to the HMRC, to see if i was paying tax,,

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-the-nhs-charges-overseas-visitors-for-nhs-hospital-care/how-the-nhs-charges-overseas-visitors-for-nhs-hospital-care

Any treatment that may have to be paid for will be charged at 150% of the national NHS rate.

As for health tourism i was talking about  visitors or even expats who are not habituality resident in uk , flying to the Uk to get free medical care, Thailand may be a health destination, but this is not for UK residents the Value of the sterling against the Baht, does not make it worth while, uk residents would just go to europe.

Good links! Looks like I'd be charged at 150% too , so no point in me going home for that! And yes, I managed to follow the very interesting link (by editing out the stuff before "https") to the Home Office guidance when considering  entry applications for those with NHS debt. Very informative. Makes coming into Thailand look like an absolute doddle by comparison. Long may it remain so, and long may we all respect that, and be grateful too.

Suitability_Debt_to_the_NHS.pdf

Edited by bradiston
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Hospitals are like immigration offices, they have their own rules and charges. The difference in charges for the same thing in my local hospital and the one 15 Ks away is astranomical, and they are both government hospitals. This is Thailand.

I agree . Thai government hospitals will hit you with a farang price , even as an out-patient and often charge 5 times or more to a farang than that of a Thai person . Farangs are seen as an easy target for extortion .  

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1