Former immigration chief "Big Joke" comes full circle - charges against 107 allegedly corrupt immigration officers laid

webfact

I wonder how many of these bad apples worked in Immigration when Surachate led that organization? 75%? 90%? Good to see he instilled such a sense of honesty and respect for the law during his tenure.

He is on track to be national police cheif but that position is usually the last just prior to retirement, so it will be a few years before that happens. That's the one position you can't purchase.

After that? Can't see him in politics.

• Like 1

There were a lot of nay-sayers on here that thought he would cover it up.  While I think that he is in no hurry to be National Chief, he is the national police chief to the people.  He is the one that they trust.

If we remember one of the areas that he tried to clean up and reorg was in fact Chang Mai due to the <deleted> service that it gave.  Long time members that live there may be able to shed light.

His removal just as he was starting to get up to sped and make a difference may have been orchestrated by those at those locations.

Remember he was removed from hs post which usually means that he has been accused of doing wrong.  

He was found not guilty and put back on the street.

I am sure a lot of people in the CM issan area have been walking on egg shells ever since and now he has been able to get his revenge.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thailand only knows extremes, nothing in the middle. Its either free for all or hardcore raids and crackdowns.

What i do wonder though is most people report having hard time doing extensions, immigration checking and triple checking every piece of paper.

With Non B visa if a signature missing or a small paper, you get turned away and often "donation" does not help. 

So how did Chinese and Immigration managed to forge documents and skip all the scrutiny while westerns have to go through all of it?

And if they found its the Chinese who were getting visa's illegally and were involved in all the illegal activities, why did they tighten up for the rest? making it even harder for the westerners?

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Pib said:

I bet this IB investigation was "very narrowly focused" like predominately looking at visas/extensions issued to Chinese at certain immigration offices vs a broad focus of all nationalities and all immigration offices.   That is, blinders were worn with the head kept straight ahead versus looking in all directions & locations......look under these few rocks; do not look under all the rocks, etc.

It is like any investigation if your boss says find out whythere are so many murders in Chiang Mai thats what you investigate you do not veer off to investigate the murders in Bangkok.

31 minutes ago, BestB said:

So how did Chinese and Immigration managed to forge documents and skip all the scrutiny while westerns have to go through all of it?

Paid a lot more and have established connections. You could do that. Well, could have.

32 minutes ago, BestB said:

And if they found its the Chinese who were getting visa's illegally and were involved in all the illegal activities, why did they tighten up for the rest? making it even harder for the westerners?

Have they tightened up requirements for Westerners, and only, since the scandal broke? Which ones are those?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Have they tightened up requirements for Westerners, and only, since the scandal broke? Which ones are those?

Seems to be increased scrutiny and document requirements at extension time aimed at determining that you really live where your TM30 says you do, if I have interpreted correctly what is going on from reports/comments here.

1 hour ago, Surasak said:

"If you used an agent to get your extension, check to see if it was issued in Khon Kaen. If it was, better to get it fixed before being deported"......

Why would you say that? Are you just trying to cause problems, or have you just found a new big wooden spoon? 

What do you mean? 

The fact that it's in Khon Kaen, they will probably investigate the officers there, as its well known that rogue officers there stamp illegal immigrants who live in other areas. 

With all this talk of Immigration offices, does anyone know if there is any Thai dept. or phone number that you can report any corruption or misapplication of the rules. I just left my IO who are insisting that 800k must be in the bank 3 months before Non O Retirement renewal not 2. This despite my showing them the rules and link printed out in Thai and English from the Thai Government website clearly stating that it is 2 months. The supervisor said that this only applies to the 1st year. I said that it does not say this anywhere on the website. She then came back with a sheet of the rules which apply to the initial application for a Non- O visa for retirement repeating that it is only the 1st year. She then walked away and disappeared before I could point this out!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1