Rejected at PoiPet border

Hey guys so I tried to do my 3rd re-entry at PoiPet (stupid I know) but I thought it would be okay because it's technically my first entry of the calender year well I got denied

Anyway after 2 days of madness I'm finally back at Phnom Penh airport with a ticket to Bangkok and a denial stamp from PoiPet

What do you think my chances are here? Anything I should prepare also what should I tell the IO about the reason for denial I probably shouldn't say because they wanted 500USD right? Lol

Thank you! ????

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Maestro said:

You must have misunderstood the IO (immigration official) at the Poipet border. He did not ask you for 500 US dollars.

The IO wanted to ascertain whether you have the means to cover your cost of living in Thailand as a tourist for 45 days.

No I got rejected, didn't tell me the reason then another guy offered visa for a bribe when I left.

It seems to be what they do at this particular crossing, other people reported the same.

Edited by Kardashev
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Maestro said:

When you now arrive in Thailand by air, the IO will see from the annotation in your passport why you were denied entry at Poipet. That annotation mentions 12(2), which is a reference to section 12 (2) of the immigration Act.

She never asked for proof of funds.

• Thumbs Up 2

Borders are interesting lately, the south is similar, they make huge issues if you go alone but with a minivan agent service they don't even look more than 10 seconds to your history. As long you been checked out and in again.

What sucks the most is that those minivan trips are super long and uncomfortable, while I enjoyed traveling there on my own and making it a 2 day trip. Never gonna do that one again, back on yearly extension soon.

So much for my travel plans after years of covid, its easier to stay inside Thailand lol. I'll travel domestic.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Kardashev said:

No I got rejected, didn't tell me the reason then another guy offered visa for a bribe when I left.

It seems to be what they do at this particular crossing, other people reported the same.

Yes very common there. 

There is also a "VIP" channel where the IOs are less likely to hasske and costs 800 - 1000 baht. That might not have been  helped OP much if this would  have been his 3rd sequentual re- entry but it does help in other cases.   

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Raindancer said:

Perhaps you should apply for a proper visa, if indeed you actually qualify.   That would put your mind at rest and solve the issue.

Totally agree. Not having the correct visa and trying to game the system to stay in Thailand is not a good idea these days. 

My Cambodian GF and I just entered Thailand at Poipet/SaKeo border 2 hours ago. Now on the train to Bangkok (bargain at 49 Baht). It took 40 minutes to get stamped out of Cambodia for me. Entry to Thailand took 1hr15 minutes for both as foreigners. 

Immigration was very slow and the female IO really on the ball. She asked me (only question) where I went after leaving Thailand before Cambodia as she could see 3 days before me entering Cambodia. Quite why it should matter I know not. We had been to Singapore where for many nationalities the egates can be used so no stamps. Anyway, I was permitted entry until expiry of my retirement extension. Gf was permitted until expiry of her Non-O visa. Didn't see anyone rejected but plenty of dumb Western backpackers didn't have correct paperwork which held things up. Not an easy border. 

Will add that a fixer on entry to the hall had offered gf fast track immediately for 500 per person. I said yes but apparently not for farangs as we might report it. LOL. 

Edited by soi3eddie

It is worth mentioning that the price for a no hassle entry at Poipet seems to have gone down. As I recall, the price was quoted to be over 20,000 baht at one time.

Entering by air at either Bangkok airport with that Poipet rejection stamp, you will be interrogated. Thai immigration when entering from Poipet tell you to enter by air because they know that creates a possible opportunity for their friends at the Bangkok airports to force you back to home country. It would have been better to use a friendly land crossing instead. Too late now I guess.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

Are you staying for 45 days then doing a border run or are you getting the extension as well? Sounds like you should get  2 month visa and extend it and keep on going that way.

I literally only need a week so I can get some documents together and then I will change my visa

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How do you look?

homeless-man-in-dirty-clothes-with-large

Now this is an adventure!!!!!   Free from everything, no "minor" stress issues (only major), and this is how Jesus would have done it.    Needs different shoes, a shave, and a bicycle with some panniers, but besides that.................sure beats my room with 10 couches, 7 50-inch TVs and more stuff that ties me down to and keeps me trapped in my own jail!!!!

live man, live!!!!  

Probably in Pai right now with the other 100,000 tourists that look exactly the same

• Like 1

We do not know or can confirm his rejection was due to * reference to section 12 (2) of the immigration Act.

He .. the OP was not asked for $500 at any time by any IO. 

He .. the OP just quoted this in his thread for whatever reason which is a stupid thing to say.

OP ....  you were rejected because this is your 3rd entry into Thailand on either a TV or Visa on arrival.

You raised a red flag when trying to enter at Poi Pet as this is your 3rd entry.

You should have done your homework and entered at a more favorable entry point or acquired the agents services to assist in your entry process. 

You only have yourself to blame .....  as others have mentioned,  have 20,000 baht in cash,  exit ticket or whatever is needed to minimise another rejection.  

obviously you haven't learn't how Asia works,  you get what you pay for.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, steven100 said:

We do not know or can confirm his rejection was due to * reference to section 12 (2) of the immigration Act.

He .. the OP just quoted this in his thread for whatever reason which is a stupid thing to say.

OP ....  you were rejected because this is your 3rd entry into Thailand on either a TV or Visa on arrival.

You raised a red flag when trying to enter at Poi Pet as this is your 3rd entry.

You should have done your homework and entered at a more favorable entry point or acquired the agents services to assist in your entry process. 

You only have yourself to blame .....  as others have mentioned,  have 20,000 baht in cash,  exit ticket or whatever is needed to minimise another rejection.  

obviously you haven't learn't how Asia works,  you get what you pay for.

I'm not saying I didn't make mistakes, the rule is 2 entries per calender year which I am still under and any other border I would've been fine.

But I appreciate your help, if I have 20,000 baht in my Thai bank account will that work?

55 minutes ago, steven100 said:

We cannot be sure. We are relying on what he posted. He says that a third party offered to solve his problem entering Thailand from Poipet. All I can say is that his report is consistent with what has been reported periodically at Poipet over a number of years (though the price seems to have come down a bit). I am inclined to take OP's statements at face value.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1