Education experts fear quality will drop as teacher exams made easier

webfact

image.png

Despite Thailand’s increasing desperation to boost the quality of its education, authorities have decided that teacher trainees only need to be tested on one subject to get a license.

This new system will go into effect from March 15. Students and graduates of teacher-training programs who began higher education during the academic years of 2019 and 2022 will only be tested on the subject of Professional Teaching.

Before this, teacher trainees were required to test on four subjects: Thai Communication, English Communication, Digital Education and Professional Teaching.

“How can we have confidence in teachers’ quality if they are only tested on their professional techniques?” asked Asst Prof Athapol Anunthavorasakul, a lecturer at Chulalongkorn University’s Faculty of Education.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/education-experts-fear-quality-will-drop-as-teacher-exams-made-easier/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-02-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Despite Thailand’s increasing desperation to boost the quality of its education, authorities have decided that teacher trainees only need to be tested on one subject to get a license.

Yep that'll work, another downward step on the spiral staircase to less educated students.

And how many millions that will that cost the government to fund the ministry to fund the change to bring about the flop.

• Love It 1

Just a continuation of the way in which Thai people have always been governed ie kept in the dark and fed on excrement. The only problem for the ruling classes, and why their days may be numbered, is that so much information is now available on the internet.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Unless you are teaching to advance levels, it is more important that you are 'able to teach' rather than have particularly advanced knowledge of your subject.

I taught Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Business Studies and Music to 16 year olds for 25 years, but wouldn't claim to be an 'expert' in any of these subjects.

I would have thought 16 year olds needed teachers with at least bachelors degree knowledge of their subjects as they are doing at least GCSEs.  I did my A levels at 16 and it wouldn't have been any good to have a teacher with less knowledge than we had.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

It is all a plot by the Government to lower the education standards. They need to do this after the growth in the internet has seen so many young Thais learning so much about the world outside the Kingdom....:whistling:

And probably too much about inside the Kingdom as well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Seen the global ranking of Thai education, the universities, or in  school math, science or English, it will be quite challenging to lower the quality. 

Education Council secretary-general Atthaphon Sangkhawasee said his agency has studied the 2021 International Institute for Management Development (IMD) rankings, which showed Thailand dropped to 56th out of 64 countries. Thailand ranked a distant third in Asean, behind Singapore in 7th place and Malaysia in 39th.Jan 30, 2565 BE

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2baht said:

Oh please! Get real and face it! You don't want an educated majority! Maintain the Mushroom Method of education, keep them in the dark and feed them BS!

That appears to be the clandestine bottom line for quite some time now. 

The base quality and standards of educations and proposed training of said educators has been continuously downgraded over decades. The fanciful proposals of one step forward, all the while it's really three steps back. 

Quite clearly reflective of the lower educational levels, more embarrassing are the university and tertiary sectors.....in which they fail bigtime. 

The obvious priorities of the ruling classes, as they're not looking to encourage an educated population.

• Like 1

Some comments here seem to apply to the UK also.

May I say that the very best grammar school teacher I had in England would never have got a teaching job today.

'Those who can teach, those who can't become inspectors'.

Oxford University has made remedial lessons in English available for History undergraduates.

Am I correct in thinking that education generally is better in Singapore and South Korea than here and in the UK?

• Like 1

Which "Education quality" are these experts talling about.
After living for more than 2 decades here, and having a child attending a Thai school, I can tell you that the "Education quality" of Thailand and the Thai teachers is next to "1 Degree Kelvin".
Or better said: Thai education sucks big time.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Yep that'll work, another downward step on the spiral staircase to less educated students.

And how many millions that will that cost the government to fund the ministry to fund the change to bring about the flop.

Less about education and more about profiteering.

Just going through the motions. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

They've been wanting me to make full lesson plans. As you probably heard, stacks of documents are very impressive, whether or not they really mean anything. At first I was doing two weeks of plans, but then they wanted the topic changed every week, as doing the same thing too many times "makes them bored". The reality is more like they want a bigger stack of paper. I said we can't just move onto another topic if they haven't got the first one, as most of the class isn't listening, are missing due to activities or cutting class, or we've got yet another holiday.

Add to that the fact most of the teachers aren't even teaching. Many times you'll walk by a room and see the kids in there just running amok. Their teachers are usually in a "meeting", or have simply dropped off a worksheet, or wrote an assignment on the board so they can go back to the office and get back on Facebook. This explains much of why the students are so disengaged when they finally get a "real" class with one of the foreigner teachers, and why most foreigner teachers eventually quit really teaching also, as no one else is either.

Oh yes, the "submit your lesson plans for review " game.

I was required and used to submit my lesson plans religiously every week, along with miniatures of any flashcards, whiteboard schematics and copies of worksheets, to the head of department. Over one summer holiday she moved offices; they do so every summer, it is like some sort of slow motion 3d chess game, the aim being to reach a more desirable room than your peers and therefore gain face.

Early in the next term I had cause to go into her old office now used to store textbooks. There, stacked neatly in the corner was an entire year of my lesson plans, unread and untouched!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

I would have thought 16 year olds needed teachers with at least bachelors degree knowledge of their subjects as they are doing at least GCSEs.  I did my A levels at 16 and it wouldn't have been any good to have a teacher with less knowledge than we had.

I think you'd be surprised how many teach subjects at GCSE for which they don't hold a degree.

17 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

The obvious priorities of the ruling classes, as they're not looking to encourage an educated population.

It's more about Thai culture. If students in Thai schools actually had proper lessons in what they are learning, were properly assessed, and weren't simply allowed to copy and cheat their way through schools without being able to fail, I'm sure that Thais would be far better educated.

The problem lies in the fake and corrupt elements of Thai culture, as these permeate everything.

8 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

This explains much of why the students are so disengaged when they finally get a "real" class with one of the foreigner teachers

And, to add insult to injury, they're resentful of the foreign teacher for making them feel bad and like Thai teachers more, even though they do less for them.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 2/27/2023 at 2:58 PM, siftasam said:

Some comments here seem to apply to the UK also.

May I say that the very best grammar school teacher I had in England would never have got a teaching job today.

'Those who can teach, those who can't become inspectors'.

Oxford University has made remedial lessons in English available for History undergraduates.

Am I correct in thinking that education generally is better in Singapore and South Korea than here and in the UK?
I think it could have been a little smarter and simpler. They believe that more difficult examinations help to assess the knowledge and skills of teachers more accurately, stimulating their professional growth. I also researched the "should college be free" question recently, used papersowl.com/examples/should-college-be-free/ for this. As you can see, there are a lot of problems and many more questions. Simplification can lead to insufficiently trained teaching staff and ultimately affect the quality of education.

not bad

Edited by markhines