Ex-girlfriend tries to steal 10 motorcycles

Do you have any proof of purchase? Not 100% sure how it works here but back home govt  registration is not proof of ownership. Only a lawyer could answer that, and sometimes they are more dishonest than the perps. The other question is how much does she have on you re proof you were operating or profiting from the business? Is there messages? Money trails? Not even sure how interested in these things immigration are. Just about every other ex farang gf in Thailand threatens to call immigration over this or that. Never seems to come to anything. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Who signed the rent contract? You and the renter or she with the renter? If you signed the contract, you might be in more trouble than move on and let the motors go with her.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Do you have any proof of purchase? Not 100% sure how it works here but back home govt  registration is not proof of ownership. Only a lawyer could answer that, and sometimes they are more dishonest than the perps. The other question is how much does she have on you re proof you were operating or profiting from the business? Is there messages? Money trails? Not even sure how interested in these things immigration are. Just about every other ex farang gf in Thailand threatens to call immigration over this or that. Never seems to come to anything. 

Kenny202,makes some important points--I am not sure why the majority  here feel you (or all Farangs) should just give in these situations. I have seen people walk away from their life saving , saying I am a farang  so I will loose. The Thai legal system works on trying to find common ground amongst litigants (a compromise) very few reach the court stage. The first stage of compromise is at the police station.

Questions to the girl--could you show us where you withdrew from your Bank or borrowed the money from to buy all these bikes?  etc will be asked.

In front of Authority Thai's do not lie well. If a compromise cannot be reached there (I am sure it will be in your case)  then goes to an adjudicator (I have been through all this a few times & watched friends cases also) you can call witnesses in for this --like the place where you brought the bikes/people who know of the situation, I would be fairly certain she would call no one in, because, expecting a  "Lower Level" Thai to stand up in that situation and lie for a friend over this--no.

The adjudicator then makes a Non Binding decision on who is in the right, he then usually gives a certain amount of days for you both to meet and make a comprise. If still no compromise then it goes to civil court--this happens very few times- but with his decisions already stated.  The onus is really on the other person to agree. 

On the situation of you "Helping" out around the work place.... yes you shouldn't do that, But you didn't fall time work-just helped out. The whole idea was that you would purchase the bikes etc in her name, & she would run the place for a % of the profits  until you both got married.

However you kept seeing discrepancies in the money being taken which led to arguments and her leaving and now using these threat about ownership.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rwill said:

Actually, "Previously, SHE created a motorbike rental business."

A question is was it a registered business with a license and such. He probably dumped at least 1 million Thb into the bikes if bought outright. If money borrowed by him he is a tool, if borrowed by her then walk away and cut the losses. Not legally married so he is not able to get 50% back unless he has such a document.......

Edited by ThailandRyan

14 hours ago, Alexzweiner said:

I do not have the right to engage in this business in Thailand

And therefore you knowingly bent the rules and are now reaping the consequences. Tough luck. You made a very unwise investment, with no safeguard at all against it going tits up. What on earth were you thinking?

3 hours ago, Lt Frank Bullitt said:

I would try to come to an agreement with her

This is really the only realistic option.

You need to accept that you are going to make a significant loss here. All you can do is apply some diplomacy and try and negotiate. It's difficult when there's emotions involved and you're dealing with somebody who you feel screwed over by, but if you bite your tongue throughout the process you may be able to at least keep hold of a bike or three.

Edited by JayClay

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What is ridiculous? The replies or the action?

If they guy would be in his home country, would he buy 10 bikes and register them in somebody else name for any reason? Unlikely. And if he would/should do that then he would realize that there is a substantial risk involved.

But coming to Thailand and investing in this business with this nice Thai girl is obviously something different. Yeah, sure. 

And then it seems like @Alexzweiner posted this 10 hours ago, his first post ever, and then never returned... 

A question here. My motorbike is in my name, I have the green book, if I die before her, does she as my next of kin inherit it? Or is there more to it?

16 hours ago, Gaccha said:

You need to flee the country because you can be arrested for working without a work permit. 

No, he does not, owning (part-owning) a company does not require a work permit.   Where did he say that he is working in the company such that he requires a WP?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

7 hours ago, BananaStrong said:
8 hours ago, rwill said:

Actually, "Previously, SHE created a motorbike rental business."

Actually, we created a motorbike rental business.    She owned the business, and I helped create the business.

Really?  So you're the OP now...operating multiple accounts?

• Like 1

you have the right to remain silent and move on, no work permit u can be kicked out at any time if she tells IMO.... any other property lost that u didn't mention (house, land, car, etc...) if no other property and/or money was involved consider yourself lucky,  as 10 motorbikes are not a big loss

3 hours ago, oxo1947 said:
4 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Expand  

Kenny202,makes some important points--I am not sure why the majority  here feel you (or all Farangs) should just give in these situations. I have seen people walk away from their life saving , saying I am a farang  so I will loose. The Thai legal system works on trying to find common ground amongst litigants (a compromise) very few reach the court stage. The first stage of compromise is at the police station.

Questions to the girl--could you show us where you withdrew from your Bank or borrowed the money from to buy all these bikes?  etc will be asked.

In front of Authority Thai's do not lie well. If a compromise cannot be reached there (I am sure it will be in your case)  then goes to an adjudicator (I have been through all this a few times & watched friends cases also) you can call witnesses in for this --like the place where you brought the bikes/people who know of the situation, I would be fairly certain she would call no one in, because, expecting a  "Lower Level" Thai to stand up in that situation and lie for a friend over this--no.

The adjudicator then makes a Non Binding decision on who is in the right, he then usually gives a certain amount of days for you both to meet and make a comprise. If still no compromise then it goes to civil court--this happens very few times- but with his decisions already stated.  The onus is really on the other person to agree. 

On the situation of you "Helping" out around the work place.... yes you shouldn't do that, But you didn't fall time work-just helped out. The whole idea was that you would purchase the bikes etc in her name, & she would run the place for a % of the profits  until you both got married.

However you kept seeing discrepancies in the money being taken which led to arguments and her leaving and now using these threat about ownership

What?  where did you get all that from...how come you "know" so much about the circumstances?

25 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Perhaps because he hasn't been back with any clarifying detail that would provide a basis for any other reaction.

And as I asked did they create a registered company and have all of the legal paperwork, or did he just buy 10 motorbikes and she was renting them out without insurance and proper paperwork.  One wonders what the rental contracts looked like and if they would stand up in court.

25 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

you have the right to remain silent and move on, no work permit u can be kicked out at any time if she tells IMO.... any other property lost that u didn't mention (house, land, car, etc...) if no other property and/or money was involved consider yourself lucky,  as 10 motorbikes are not a big loss

Just a loss of possibly upwards of 1 million Thb depending on what type of bikes they were, and if he borrowed money to buy them, well then thats going to hurt.

55 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What?  where did you get all that from...how come you "know" so much about the circumstances?

All I know is as much as he has written in his posting Lou.... I have just given him an hypothesis.

18 hours ago, Alexzweiner said:

She took the documents for motorcycles and threatens the police if I do not give all the bikes to her.  Some of the bikes are still in rental.  Advise with practical advice what I can do in this situation so as not to lose all motorcycles. 

To my experience and knowledge: It's unfortunately her motorbikes, as they are registered in her name – give them to her, as you otherwise might be accuse of stealing them – unless you have a, preferably written, loan agreement with collateral in the motorbikes and holds the green books in deposit, then you can ask a lawyer to collect the debt through the legal system.