Dutch Woman Arrested at Phuket Airport Claims Immigration Officer Forgot to Stamp Her Passport on Entry

webfact

image.jpeg

By Goongnang Suksawat

Phuket – The Dutch woman who was arrested at the Phuket International Airport last week in a case that went viral claims she did nothing wrong and it was because an Immigration Officer forgot to put a stamp on her passport.

The Telegraaf reports that the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs says the woman has received assistance from the Netherlands Embassy for this case.

The woman said she was detained for five days and it was a nightmare for her when, according to her, she did nothing wrong. She claims when she entered Thailand recently an Immigration Officer forgot to stamp her passport.

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2023/04/04/update-dutch-woman-arrested-at-phuket-airport-claims-immigration-officer-forgot-to-stamp-her-passport-on-entry/

image.jpeg
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2023-04-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pomchop said:

Rule 1:  Always check to see what date/stamp etc is put or not put  in your passport before you leave immigration no matter what country you are entering.

Rule 2:  See rule 1.

I know it can happen so always check.

I find it bit over the top, this could easily be sorted out, the article doesn't mention if she landed at the airport or not, if she did then her ticket would show what date she landed, 

To be locked up for 5 days is a bit to much,

It would be good to hear her story about the nightmare 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I find it bit over the top, this could easily be sorted out, the article doesn't mention if she landed at the airport or not, if she did then her ticket would show what date she landed, 

To be locked up for 5 days is a bit to much,

It would be good to hear her story about the nightmare 

Exactly...they don't tell us the date of arrival, or if they did a visa run to a certain border..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Interesting. If one or both are still in Thailand and not deported, probably they are correct. Still, having the right visa (stamp) is the responsibility of the traveller, even if one IO 'forgot' to stamp some passports of a flight from the Netherlands.

Whilst you may be correct? Immigration Officers never make mistakes?????????

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

Yep, I can believe this 100% and they will have the flight arrival data and CCTV to prove it as well.

Blaming the tourist seems to be the first and last step in any solution to a problem here.

I bet they kick her out and blacklist her to make this story go away.

I wonder what happened to the other Dutch dude who got arrested for the same thing?

I also wonder how many others are out there with missing stamps in their passport blissfully unaware of what awaits them when they turn up at the airport to go home....

I understood from his story they entered at sadao.

9 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

So she would have had her fingerprints taken and picture taken at the IO booth, she would have shown her boarding pass to the IO and the IO 'forgot' to stamp her passport?

Then she is locked up for 5 days because its all her fault?

They should be thanking for showing how mistakes happen and doing something about it!

Amazing Thailand........???

Won't happen, in Thailand, only those pesky foreigners make mistakes?????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Exactly. Forget the stamp.  The Entry IO would have entered the woman's details onto the Immigration database along with digital face image and fingerprints. With no entry stamp in her PP. an IO at Departure would enter her PP number to find her entry details. If she's not on the database it indicates she may have entered illegally. What is the true story?

I lean on the illegal entry theory.

They did a border run and refused re-entry..then just walked into Thailand.

The chaos at some border crossings is crazy.

Nobody  at the main gate to check ins and outs.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Don't Airlines keep a manifest of passengers on flights ? this is all double Dutch to me, any IO making this mistake should be put in detention X2 the amount of time the poor unsuspecting tourist is. There are some who have never traveled before and don't know about checking their stamp or even if they get one, IO hands back your PP, put it back in your safe place, off you go all excited to start your holiday. They need SIGNS at the all Immigration points.

DUE TO THE IMCOMPADANCE  of our staff,

please CHECK YOUR PP STAMP. :coffee1:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The chip in passport isnt readable for all countries. I believe Dutch chip can only be read by Dutch airport, military police, and nowhere else. I ll bet they (Dutch government)misuse this for many purposes.

EU is now working, they say, on a digital passport, on phone (app?) Any other country can see then? No more officers, but reading equipment for check and "auto  digital stamp"? Lovely AI systems doing that work? You are in a space for check and when the AI says, not good, the there is an auto lock in then?

Wonder how long that will take.

Thailand has already visa application on line. I red, "my " country wants the same, but it will take up to 2027 to get it?! Not amazing Thailand , but Netherlands.

The guy and the woman were  a couple and therefor had the same problem.

Coming in from Malaysia.

But i recall a case, really many years ago, from the USA, where 2 Dutch also went to prison for overstaying visa. They were put in jail amongst really heavy prisoners, not for 5 days but weeks. So it is not just Thailand, guess it happens in more countries, but you dont always hear.