Cheapest New Car

mackayae

22 hours ago, petermik said:

I have an MG5 that is mainly used for monthly return trips down to our property in the South from here in Pattaya 926 kms so an electric vehicle is useless to us at the moment....I get 20kms/litre on this long distance run :thumbsup:

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Don't know why it would be useless. 

We've gone up to Mae Chaem, Chiang Mai province (991 kms) and down to Betong, Yala province (915 kms).

Being shy of 1000 kms each, you're going to stop a few times anyway.   Especially if not just you in the car.

TBH, it doesn't take much extra time, if any, to top up the BEV vs the ICE version of the same.  But cost less than half to do so.   ฿370 vs ฿970 to travel 360 kms.

This is very subjective. The 2 main factors to consider are time and cost.

At 20km/l, it would be about 46.3l of fuel. At Thb 37/l, that would be Thb 1,713. Multiply this by 2 as there obviously has to be a return journey so let’s call it Thb 3,400. To travel the same distance in an EV at real world speeds, it would cost around half of that. Spending this once a month is probably not an issue for most on here (I can think of a couple of exceptions though).

926 km would require at least 2-3 charging stops for most current EVs. This would also require 3 or more “human” stops, for food, refreshment, toilet break etc for the average person. So I would estimate that the additional time taken to recharge an EV as opposed to filling up with petrol for such a journey would be an extra hour or so under normal circumstances. 

So the question is, would you prefer to save an hour (in a 13-14 hour car journey) or to save up to Thb 1,000?

Edited by Gweiloman
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, petermik said:

.I get 20kms/litre on this long distance run

20 hours ago, KhunLA said:

TBH, it doesn't take much extra time, if any, to top up the BEV vs the ICE version of the same.  But cost less than half to do so.   ฿370 vs ฿970 to travel 360 kms.

Does gasoline now cost 53 bht a litre, or is this another one of your convenient miscalculations?

32 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

So the question is, would you prefer to save an hour (in a 13-14 hour car journey) or to save up to Thb 1,000?

Also balance that hour of extra charging, if there actually is, against all the weekly or monthly petrol stops, that add up to well over any stops while O&A, that most take just a few times a year..  

10 mins times 12 (month) or 24 (2X a month) or 52 times (if weekly) of topping up your petrol car, vs 30 seconds to pug in/out at home.

Posted this earlier, but here's the short version ... "we don't stop to charge, simply charge when we stop"

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

Does gasoline now cost 53 bht a litre, or is this another one of your convenient miscalculations?

My #s are for vehicles I owned/own, as I can believe them.  YMMV

If you're getting 20kpl, then it would cost you ~฿680 vs ฿370 to got 360 kms  in that small un-comfy, under performing ICEV.

Long distance in the Vios & Mazda 2 was almost tolerable, I couldn't do it in a Celerio, or anything smaller than a SUV (B class).  I'll leave it at that, as not to offend.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If you're getting 20kpl, then it would cost you ~฿680 vs ฿370 to got 360 kms  in that small un-comfy, under performing ICEV.

So you indeed quoted the wrong total of 970Bht on purpose in your earlier post. And while I can't be bothered to check your charging total, which I'm also sure is just a pie in the sky, because to charge at those prices you have to use slow chargers, and it will take you MUCH more time than you admit. And not only because you have to queue at most stations.

23 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

So you indeed quoted the wrong total of 970Bht on purpose in your earlier post. And while I can't be bothered to check your charging total, which I'm also sure is just a pie in the sky, because to charge at those prices you have to use slow chargers, and it will take you MUCH more time than you admit. And not only because you have to queue at most stations.

Actually I use ฿8 / kWh, and probably the highest charge at a CS.  Don't think we've ever paid that yet.  Surely rates will go up, but now I think we pay ฿5.5-6.5-7.5 /kWh.   Certainly not going to fret over half or one baht, or even search out a PEA/Bangchak on the weekend, just to save  ฿2.

I've never Q'd at a CS, and we're O&A a lot.  As stated, I use petrol numbers I know, for car I owned.

PEA starts at ฿5.5, off peak hours, discounted, same as if owning a TOU meter (though not as cheap), nights & weekends (when many people travel)   And we only use fast charging cables.   I like the car to be done, before we are when we stop.

Some malls charge ฿60 per hour, but that is 22kWh, so slow, but, that's a pretty cheap rate, if you load up 20kWh in that hour.  And you're at the mall anyway, which many are on a weekly basis, for an hour or 2, so the 'I can't charge at home'  isn't really a good reason not own an EV, unless rural, in which case, you probably can charge at home.

Ignorance is Bliss .... Be Happy

When you actually know what you're talking about, feel free to jump back in the conversation.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, CallumWK said:

because to charge at those prices you have to use slow chargers,

How did you figure this? Does this mean that if I use my fan more slowly, I pay less per kWh than if I upped the speed? Instead of coming on here to challenge others when your knowledge is lacking, stay silent and learn from those that know.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Gweiloman said:

because to charge at those prices you have to use slow chargers,

How did you figure this? Does this mean that if I use my fan more slowly, I pay less per kWh than if I upped the speed? Instead of coming on here to challenge others when your knowledge is lacking, stay silent and learn from those that know.

Hey CCP boy, everyone know that the rapid charge stations charge more per Kw than the type 2 charging stations. And you didn't know, although you claim to be an EV owner?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

When you actually know what you're talking about, feel free to jump back in the conversation.

Well at least I know my math and don't need to lie about the difference in costs between ICE and EV for propaganda purposes.

It is also not the first time I read a post of yours where you undercalculate the charging cost for the same reason, and finally, you don't charge kWh, you charge kW

Edited by CallumWK
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

Hey CCP boy, everyone know that the rapid charge stations charge more per Kw than the type 2 charging stations. And you didn't know, although you claim to be an EV owner?

Screenshot_2024-08-11-15-09-31-58_b8f43d09da6ffff5a89e212836b0c0b5.thumb.jpeg.d490791b2f9ea0455c512bab971a3dd2.jpeg

How does it feel to be shown up as ignorant and not as intelligent as you thought you are?

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

Moving on, my charging sessions the past 10 days would have cost me Thb 2,019.64 if not for the free charging that BYD is offering for certain owners, that one poster in particular thinks is untrue. I wonder what this amount of electrons would have cost if I had to fill up with petrol instead.

Screenshot_2024-08-11-14-58-59-31_10006ddc13ca0d0dc10d8eb90ba5f83e.jpeg

Screenshot_2024-08-11-14-58-52-26_10006ddc13ca0d0dc10d8eb90ba5f83e.jpeg

• Love It 1

On 4/11/2023 at 8:55 AM, KhunLA said:

Not going to beat the price of the Celerio, and gets about 20 kpL.  I peeked at them, and kind of impressive for the price point.

If going for the AT ... then you may want to consider another 133k more, and think about the Neta V, as initial cost is more, but savings of operating an EV over an ICE will pay for itself as time goes on.

@ 37+ baht for petrol, it won't take long for the ROI of the cost difference.

image.png.b796a665b95aec4b0664a62c9650fe18.png

Length 4,070 mm.

Width 1,690 mm.

Height 1,540 mm.

wheelbase wheelbase 2,420 mm

ground clearance 130 mm.

Rear luggage compartment 315 liters

https://autolifethailand.tv/official-price-hozon-neta-v-thailand/

Celerio:

length 3,695 mm

width 1,655 mm

height 1,555 mm

wheelbase 2,435 mm

ground clearance 170 mm

Luggage space  313 liters.

neta v2 now starts at 429,000thb

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, steve187 said:

neta v2 now starts at 429,000thb

If can find old CH stock, I think they are 409k.

My opinion of Celerio, has changed drastically after that post.  And as stated, the Celerio AT was about same price as the Neta V.  

More reading about the Celerio, and it really is a 'get what you pay for' car / POS.

As stated. it did look a lot nicer than I expected, and much improved over earlier models.   At the time, if that's all you could afford and need a car, guess it would work.

I would buy any JP badged car made in TH.  And the starting & top end prices are just silly.   Only owned the Vios s & Mazda2, as cheap, ~550k, and could sell fast & cheap, walking away with little regret.  

Once decided to stay in TH, bought what I actually wanted, MG ZS, and major upgrade for basically pocket change more.

Edited by KhunLA

On 8/11/2024 at 11:16 AM, mackayae said:

Suzuki is closing its Thai auto plant end of 2025.

Subaru is closing their Thai auto plant at end of 2024.

Honda is ceasing auto assembly at its Pa-In plant. It will be used for parts in the future.

Hyundai is building an EV plant and EV battery plant in Thailand. Scheduled to start in 2026.

I guess the writing is on the wall.

Sales are at their lowest across all sectors. Pickups especially - I'm pretty sure they aren't buying EV pickups. 

As for suzuki, their dealers will remain open to service current customers, will import and sell suzukis, and guarantee spares for 10 years. Plenty of outside garages specialize in suzuki also. Petrol and diesel cars are not going anywhere for a long time in Thailand, barring any interference by the government. 

• Like 1