COVID-19 cases will probably rise after Songkran festival

webfact

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:
26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Those high risk factors for the most part are reversible....

But, last I heard, age isn't... And that alone is enough to potentially get someone in serious health trouble with COVID, even today's Omicron version.

Agreed...    And with age comes the requirement for greater caution.... be it walking down the steps of a sea wall in Cha-am, stepping into the shower, going out in greater heat and of course, exposing yourself to the viruses that others may be carrying.... 

Should Covid-19 / Omicron require any extra dedicated care ??? 

If someone considers themselves at significant risk of serious consequences from contracting Omicron I wonder if they should not also be taking far more precautions than masking up in busy areas. 

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thais in Bangkok and elsewhere have been wearing face masks long before the relatively recent outbreak of very bad seasonal air pollution.

I can say with certainty - having lived in the city for decades - that, prior to Covid, it was extremely rare to see Thais in Bangkok wearing masks. 

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Obviously now there are lot more people wearing masks - I don’t think they have all suddenly become acutely aware of air-pollution. 

Actually, mask wearing because of air pollution did increase somewhat in the immediate years before Covid. I suspect because of the advent of AQI apps, making data on air pollution easier to come by.

But numbers were still very, very low. It's easy to prove, too, through resources like Google image search.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, kickstart said:

Talk of masks, the TV reporters on the news this evening, were wearing masks, first time for a long time, as a gentle hint the Thai populist to wear masks. Not that many people in our area have stopped wearing masks. our locale weekly market more wearing masks than not.

Very interesting. I bet you this is because of ARCTURUS Omicron XBB.1.16. strain of Omicron. Been around for a while. Looks to be a bit more contagious but no more severe. Just more uneducated kneejerk fear mongering reaction.

From the Washington Post:

“It will probably become the dominant variant for a while in the U.S. and Europe and most countries around the world, but I don’t see it driving up severe infections more than we’ve seen in recent waves,” 

Arcturus has already replaced other variants in India, according to the WHO’s March report. However, Maria Van Kerkhove, the WHO’s technical lead on covid-19, said in late March that “we haven’t seen a change in severity in individuals or in populations,” although the group would “remain vigilant.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2023/04/14/covid-variant-arcturus-india-explained/

1 minute ago, BKKBike09 said:

I can say with certainty - having lived in the city for decades - that, prior to Covid, it was extremely rare to see Thais in Bangkok wearing masks. 

Actually, mask wearing because of air pollution did increase somewhat in the immediate years before Covid. I suspect because of the advent of AQI apps, making data on air pollution easier to come by.

But numbers were still very, very low. It's easy to prove, too, through resources like Google image search.

Here in CM I remember people would wear masks if they had a cold or flu to stop spreading it to other people..particularly in the supermarket, public transport or shopping centres. It was one of the things we liked about Thai people... 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Here in CM I remember people would wear masks if they had a cold or flu to stop spreading it to other people..particularly in the supermarket, public transport or shopping centres. It was one of the things we liked about Thai people... 

Thats interesting.... Its not something I ever noticed of people in Bangkok - but then, to know that, I would have to go up to anyone with a Mask and ask them why they are wearing said mask (and its too late to ask that now of course !).

This reason is certainly not one which has been explained to me by many of the Thai people I know when discussing mask wearing culture pre and post covid. 

That said, mask wearing in Japan Tokyo always been fair more prevalent than anywhere else I have been. The reasons you explain above is the same for mask wearing in Tokyo where before Covid-19 a lot of people wear masks either to protect themselves from sickness (i.e contracting colds) and particularly if they are carrying a cold themselves.

I think it's an excellent idea to wear a mask if we have the snivels and want to continue about our daily business.  However, when we are perfectly health *(or rather feeling perfectly healthy) I think mask wearing in all but the busiest of areas is no longer of benefit to the community on a whole. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats interesting.... Its not something I ever noticed of people in Bangkok - but then, to know that, I would have to go up to anyone with a Mask and ask them why they are wearing said mask (and its too late to ask that now of course !).

This reason is certainly not one which has been explained to me by many of the Thai people I know when discussing mask wearing culture pre and post covid. 

That said, mask wearing in Japan Tokyo always been fair more prevalent than anywhere else I have been. The reasons you explain above is the same for mask wearing in Tokyo where before Covid-19 a lot of people wear masks either to protect themselves from sickness (i.e contracting colds) and particularly if they are carrying a cold themselves.

I think it's an excellent idea to wear a mask if we have the snivels and want to continue about our daily business.  However, when we are perfectly health *(or rather feeling perfectly healthy) I think mask wearing in all but the busiest of areas is no longer of benefit to the community on a whole. 

Just reading that some states in India are reintroducing masks mandates for the new XBB.1.16. Oh dear. It's just another Omicron variant. Interesting thing is that if mask mandates are being reintroduced it means that there was no mask mandate before. In Thailand there is of course no mask mandate but people continue to wear them.

Also, reading in BP that the Health Permanent Secratary is advising boosters and advising people to wear masks in crowded places. This of course is advice and not a mandate. The article continues with the director general of the Dept of Medical Sciences saying in relation to XBB1.16 there is no evidence to show that this strain is more severe than the current variant.

No need to panic and no need for TV presenters to start wearing masks again.

Edited by dinsdale

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

re your various points...

--I don't drive a car or motorcycle in Thailand because of the health/safety risks.

--I do my best to avoid and prevent mosquito environments since no one should want to come down with dengue.

--Perhaps because in part I regularly wear an N95 mask when around others, I haven't had any viral infections in the past several years.

I try to be consistent and thoughtful in what I do.

Kudos to you and your considerations. But what a <deleted> boring life you must lead. All for something, symptoms same as a mild flu or cold now. My 85 year old mother had it, my 81yr old stepfather had it (twice), my 78 yr old uncle had it, my sister had it, many friends have had it (multiple times). I've had it at least twice, maybe more. We've all been jabbed numerous times (some 5 times). Still caught it. Maybe less severe, who knows. None of us worry about it. 

A 49 year old lady friend was laid to rest last week, not of Covid but of cancer. Time to move on with life and stop worrying about Covid!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

re your various points...

--I don't drive a car or motorcycle in Thailand because of the health/safety risks.

Wherever possible and practical I prefer not to entrust my safety in uneducated others and thus drive myself (only taking taxi’s in the evenings if I’ve been drinking).

Do you stay at home and avoid travel because the safety risks associated with Thai roads ? (genuine question). 

--I do my best to avoid and prevent mosquito environments since no one should want to come down with dengue.

Avoiding is difficult in Thailand, prevention from mosquito bites is simple enough with repellants. 

(sandflies are a different matter !).

--Perhaps because in part I regularly wear an N95 mask when around others, I haven't had any viral infections in the past several years.

Is that just in Thailand, or travelling to other countries too ?

I’m wondering IF your opinion on mask wearing is influenced by what is termed ’the Bandwagon effect’ whereby seeing most people around you influences your bias towards wearing a mask. Conversely so, very few people wearing a mask in cities in Europe influences their decision not to wear a mask - the cognitive dissonance influences our opinion

Your comment (haven’t had viral infections for several years) implies you have been wearing N95 masks as a protective measure from virus since way before Covid-19 (several years). 

Given the frequency with which I travel I have certainly given thought for wearing an N95 mask yet find a properly fitting N95 mask quite uncomfortable particularly for lengthy durations, and a regular surgical mask ‘relatively' useless. 

I try to be consistent and thoughtful in what I do.

As do I...  Consistent in my logic that if no one is wearing a mask in all of the bars and other areas of social public gatherings is wearing mask in a shopping mall or walking down the road going to do anything ?.....  

... Thoughtful... agreed...  confined and tightly packed area’s such as MRT / TUBE etc present greater risk IMO (to ourselves and others).

One key area of mask wearing not yet discussed is hospitals: I think because there is an elevated number of at risk people we should all, always be wearing a mask in a hospital anyway (in any country). 

13 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

We do have to seriously examine the obsessive, and cult-like, COVIDians and their continued/repeated models. 

Very much akin to a conditioned psychosis. 

Ever noticed that COVID alarmists and climate alarmists and medical insurance alarmists are the same small group of posters?

Something to do with OCD IMHO.

• Love It 1

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

Why are they worried?  Most people in Thailand seem to still be wearing masks, despite there having been no mandate to do so for many months, so surely they'll be protected? ????

Not necessarily...................????

9 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Kudos to you and your considerations. But what a <deleted> boring life you must lead. All for something, symptoms same as a mild flu or cold now. My 85 year old mother had it, my 81yr old stepfather had it (twice), my 78 yr old uncle had it, my sister had it, many friends have had it (multiple times). I've had it at least twice, maybe more. We've all been jabbed numerous times (some 5 times). Still caught it. Maybe less severe, who knows. None of us worry about it. 

A 49 year old lady friend was laid to rest last week, not of Covid but of cancer. Time to move on with life and stop worrying about Covid!

my 80 year old parents had it....no problem

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Ever noticed that COVID alarmists and climate alarmists and medical insurance alarmists are the same small group of posters?

Something to do with OCD IMHO.

not small. OK maybe in Thailand small, but Europe is destroying their economy and freedom first for Covid and now for the weather. There are kids who really believe they are the last generation because the planet will die. And they get more radical every day

• Like 1

A sample of 2 of the group that is in the biggest danger and they had a few days sore throat.
how many healthy people do you know that got either very sick or died with Omicron?
Before Omicron I know several who got very sick, but zero with it.
That all does not sound like a reason for big panic

Edited by Pink Mist
A removed post which was replied to has been edited
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Do you stay at home and avoid travel because the safety risks associated with Thai roads ? (genuine question). 

BTS and MRT and ARL are my good friends. That's part of the reason I chose to live where I live... because I knew I'd rarely need to drive anywhere (or be driven anywhere) here. Mass transit and good old fashioned walking.