Are there any 'normal' farangs living in Thailand?

bob smith

I think the question you should be asking is why you are attracting these kinds of encounters. Any good therapist would start exactly there. The mirror. I've been living here 10 years and find most people to be interesting and full of Joie de vivre. As far as the general human race, the same cross section applies anywhere, there are going to be a certain percentage of dysfunctional ones, and Thailand in its unique way will attract some of those for specific reasons. 

• Thanks 1

Anecdote time.

Three weeks ago I met a guy at the bar at the entrance to Nana Plaza while having a beer with mates and waiting for the bars to open. He claimed he had a condo nearby and was a pilot but never touched Nana Plaza girls.

Yesterday I met a guy in the same spot while doing the same thing. He lived out Udon Thani and had a condo in Pattaya. He looked after a mate who had advanced alzheimers and showed me pictures. Unpretentious. We exchanged line id's and may meet again if he comes to Pattaya.

3 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Normal.

Whatever that is. 

When in doubt, just avoid 'em. 

A much richer life is to be had by non-association. 

Blessed are the cracked because they are ones who let the light in.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I rarely seen any people with hands or necks tattoo in Thailand in the first place, the few I did were tattoo artists and business owners overseas. Aside of that, I have seen plenty of engineers, lawyers, scientists and more with tattoos. Even at Thai universities now most students will have at least 1 small tattoo. 

You must be very narrow minded and uncultured yourself, if you judge the book by it's cover. 

It takes two min conversation or a few beers a bit late evening, and you know who you dealing with. Judge the book by its cover, is still a good measure especially in Thailand.  Not always, but quite often. 

Edited by Hummin

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

So the two of us just disproved your theory!

I said nothing is black and white....and have nothing against people with tattoos, it is their body their choice. However from my observations so far definitely not the sharpest tools in the shed moved here. And nothing wrong with that too. Just an observation!

3 hours ago, Menken said:

Years ago there were a lot of eccentric and colorful people now it's just people with mental malfunctions and those running away from debt, family, drug problems.. whatever

That's a really nice way of putting it and rings true with me.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

I'm normal and I do when I have free time. I work and I don't drink much. I have few rules or restrictive habits. I defy classification or labels. I'm not judgmental. My secret is to find reasons to avoid individual people, not the other way round.

Hence why I qualified it with "generally", which I stand by.

• Like 1

Many yeras back I put a 'house for sale in Sth Pattaya' notice on the community notice board at Friendship supermarket, includig full address and mobile no.

Quick smart the doorbell rang. I went our followed by my 18 year old Thai son (speaks perfect English).

The visitor was a very scruffy looking farang about 50 - 60 years old.

He said 'I don't want to buy your house, I check the Frienship and other notice boards for new ads and I follow up quickly. I'm trying to find an agency etc., which can help to find 12 year old virgins.

I told him off and my son continued. Son then said "Dad, i'm calling the police right now".

Farang disappeared quickly running out of our village. 

The police did come quickly. They showed me and son a picture of a farang and it was the same guy. But too late to catch him. I shared this story with several other farang living in Pattaya, turned out this guy was well known and had been beaten up several times. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

And girls that work in 7/11

Feel sorry for them. Hard work. All 7/11's I've been in seem always very busy. They have the microwaves and an oven to operate too. Enduring the chime and 'Hello and welcome' every few seconds must be absolute torture. 

many closet  gay boys and men that like living in drag ,and they have to come out at 60 plus not a good sight

but your right a lot of guys with problems in their heads .look at stickboy and stickman .obsessed with hoars and brothels for a living

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

It takes two min conversation or a few beers a bit late evening, and you know who you dealing with. Judge the book by its cover, is still a good measure especially in Thailand.  Not always, but quite often. 

Disagree entirely, met people that are worth a penny when talking drunk, but smart, nice and good. business people sober. Or decent nice people who turn out bitter and boring.

Sure if someone is obviously loud talking, bad speaking and has a gangster walk body language, it can be judged by the cover, but can't say this is always the case.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

8 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Feel sorry for them. Hard work. All 7/11's I've been in seem always very busy. They have the microwaves and an oven to operate too. Enduring the chime and 'Hello and welcome' every few seconds must be absolute torture. 

You are getting 7/11's with Tesco Lotuses .

They say "Hello Welcome" at Tesco lotuses and not 7/11's

31 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

I've lived and worked in a number of countries. I would say Thailand stands out as a place where 'normal' is a bit more difficult to locate. Granted, many of the folks I met in other locales were working, whereas Thailand has many idle or retired farangs. Working folks tend toward normalcy, even if it is a facade. The idle and retired just show who they are.

Many expats seem to come to Thailand to escape themselves or chase a fantasy of becoming, in old age, the babe magnet they never were back home. They carry their problems with them along with some unrealistic dreams. If they arrive on these shores with a drinking problem, Thailand will exacerbate it. If they came thinking women's groins would quiver at the sight of them, they are in for disappointment. Many who came to 'live the dream' find it to be a nightmare.

Thailand is a magnet for many types of people: dreamers, the forlorn, criminals on the lam, the broken who hope to salvage what's left of their life in a tropical land filled with lovely women. Then reality hits, often leading to bitterness. Of course some come here seeking plain old variety and the chance to enjoy a culture quite different from home, but such people tend to be less visible than the tatted, obese guy in a bar solving all of the world's problems in the loudest voice possible.

I can count on one hand the number of expats who struck up a conversation with me in a restaurant or bar who were 'normal'. Most have me calling "check bin" when I've been selected as the day's target audience.

Recently a staff member of mine returned from her first trip to a Western nation. Her first comment upon returning was, "I didn't know so many farangs were so normal and nice". That confirmed for me what sort of magnet Thailand is. On balance, it does not attract the best of the best (forum members excluded, of course).

Such a downer, man... Chill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Disagree entirely, met people that are worth a penny when talking drunk, but smart, nice and good. business people sober. Or decent nice people who turn out bitter and boring.

Sure if someone is obviously loud talking, bad speaking and has a gangster walk body language, it can be judged by the cover, but can't say this is always the case.

You understand clothes, behaviour and look do have an factor when judging people? If Im not the person to be tattoed from toe to top, wearing biker uniform with patches and sculls, do you believe Im without judgement at first sight? 

Yes I know there is cool guys among them, but they choose to appear like biker gangstas, and enjoy the feeling of been looked at as bikers for a reason. 

as one example, they are a tribe with different interests than me, even some of them is the nicests guy ever, they do enjoy what they appear like. 

Just now, Hummin said:

You understand clothes, behaviour and look do have an factor when judging people? If Im not the person to be tattoed from toe to top, wearing biker uniform with patches and sculls, do you believe Im without judgement at first sight? 

Yes I know there is cool guys among them, but they choose to appear like biker gangstas, and enjoy the feeling of been looked at as bikers for a reason. 

as one example, they are a tribe with different interests than me, even some of them is the nicests guy ever, they do enjoy what they appear like. 

Feel sad for you to live life like that.

9 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Feel sad for you to live life like that.

Why should you feel sad for him? He's choosing not to mix with people he has nothing in common with.

I feel sad for people that tattoo their faces then complain that nobody wants to give them a job. Must be awful to be that stupid.

21 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I respond to what you say as i found UK Hells Angels guys some of the nicest guys I've ever met and much better than many in a suit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I respond to what you say as i found UK Hells Angels guys some of the nicest guys I've ever met and much better than many in a suit.

Yeah they hardly ever deal drugs or engage in systematic, illegal behaviour.

• Confused 2