Are there any 'normal' farangs living in Thailand?

bob smith

11 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

I know what you are talking about. There appears to be is a certain Westerner "demographic" that gravitates to Thailand, especially places like Pattaya etc.

Some of my more "normal" expat friends refer to it as "The Pattaya Strange"

I met one fellow who was trying to rent me his condo. He invited me over for a chat. The topic? Him. Every sentence started with "I" and I tolerated about 1 hour of endless stories of his talents, accomplishments and accolades before I politely excused myself.

In Bangkok there seems to be quite a lot less of these kinds personalities you describe. I find there are many more well adjusted expats in BKK than the holiday spots.

Spot on. Everyone was a footballing superstar, superstar or gangster before they came here......all remarkably successful of course and all got conned out of their millions by ruthless Thai women (that they cheated on).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, bignok said:

If a guy is in pubs drinking and has no money how does he pay for the beers?

Yes my friend, this is a question confounding humanity for ages. I think there are many chapters in ancient philosophy texts dedicated to this very topic

9 minutes ago, pomchop said:

When you are on your death bed looking back on your life do you think you will wish you had been more "normal" and likely lived near where you were born, got married, had kids, got divorced, worked in a semi dead end job for decades, then in older age lived on social security, hope your kids turned out decent, etc.....or would you prefer to look back and say I did what i wanted to do and glad i did not allow "normal" people to tell me what my version of life should be.  One person's "normal" is another person's boring.  In the end the  person that is most happy or unhappy with how you led your life is likely you...or in those famous words of wisdom of so many Thai people, "up to you".

who to judge who had most fun? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mosan said:

Yes, you're right, but it's true. No one expresses their real thoughts and opinions. All you have to do is read the comments when someone is accused of wrongdoing... Look at the stark differences between comments about Blacks versus Whites (regardless of national origin) Asians, Muslims (from any country), Arabs, Russians... Go ahead prove me wrong. Weird, no, reality. Racist, yes, you act like racism doesn't exist.

Oh I'm well aware it exists. Doesn't stop me being disgusted when faced with it. And it's very weird in the circles in which I move.

Edited by Mark1066

5 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

Of course, my life's ambition! I finally found a place on Earth where people understand just how important I am!! The girls here are such good listeners. Their ability to understand English is incredible. When I go to the bar they all smile and nod their heads in agreement with every word!

Great. Enjoy your importance then.

• Confused 1

Just now, Lacessit said:

Racism is based on poor education. Differences in skin color,eye shape etc. are simply beneficial genetic adaptations to the environment the person was born in.

It's rather sad to see Thais trying all kinds of possibly harmful skin whitening products, when their natural shades of skin are so beautiful.

Racism isn't to do with appearance. It's to do with how people behave (or don't).

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

35 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Racism isn't to do with appearance. It's to do with how people behave (or don't).

Actually he is right when he says its about education. And that education starts at home. if you grow up hearing racist remarks from your parents, you will repeat that behavior when you are an adult, unless, you get educated that it's wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Many of us grew up disagreeing with our Parents opinion and didn't need to be told what to think

If you grew up with loving, caring parents, and were close to them, you will try and be loyal to them by replicating their behavior. You might look at some things and think they are wrong, but your trust in them and relationship with them had an impact on your thinking, and shaped what you became today. If you as an adult, hear from other trusted sources that something your parent said or did was wrong, then you can change your thinking. If your parents taught you social skills, and how to relate to the other gender, you will more likely be able to have good relationships with them. If your parent(s) were narcissists, you will have trouble with every relationship you encounter. If your parents were honest, reliable people, you will grow up thinking that's how you should be. Your first five years of your life are where you learn everything about how people relate to each other, and as you get older, you will see this for yourselves . All teenagers rebel, or should, to become their own person, but what they learned from their parents shaped their thinking, even if they won't admit it to anyone, at least until they are adults. If you disagree with good habits, it's your loss, and it's why there are so many problems with interpersonal relationships. When you are young, you either listen to your parents or you don't. Every problem on earth starts at home.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Furioso said:

Just watch the movie Idiocracy. That's what most of the world's become. 

Sadly this appears to be not too far from the truth and it appears we're headed more and more in that direction.

Welcome to Carls Jr. Would you like another order of "Big Ass Fries"

Brondo has what plants crave!

moneysex.jpg

3ea2953515708e119207fc7607b1b333.jpg

Edited by likerdup1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Define normal

In this context what normal is NOT was spelled out and defined very clearly by the OP.  Someone is closer to normal if they are NOT a narcissist for example, or a sociopath, or do not have mental problems.... etc etc etc.

Edited by likerdup1

1 hour ago, Kalorymetr said:

Many normal farangs work corporate jobs in BKK, they go home often and don't hang out in bars but with their families they brought with them

That sounds nice, but I would bet against it being true.

I worked two different careers that involved living the expat life. Both careers were high income, though the second was extremely high income. My expat colleagues were university educated, many with advanced degrees. Successful men. The majority of their marriages broke up and hubby took a local wife. The rate of divorce back home is supposedly 50%. The rate of divorce for expats coming to Asia is likely far higher. 75% would not surprise me. Japan, South Korea, Thailand, the Philippines....almost all countries save for Hong Kong SAR...are divorcee makers.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

If you grew up with loving, caring parents, and were close to them, you will try and be loyal to them by replicating their behavior. You might look at some things and think they are wrong, but your trust in them and relationship with them had an impact on your thinking, and shaped what you became today. If you as an adult, hear from other trusted sources that something your parent said or did was wrong, then you can change your thinking. If your parents taught you social skills, and how to relate to the other gender, you will more likely be able to have good relationships with them. If your parent(s) were narcissists, you will have trouble with every relationship you encounter. If your parents were honest, reliable people, you will grow up thinking that's how you should be. Your first five years of your life are where you learn everything about how people relate to each other, and as you get older, you will see this for yourselves . All teenagers rebel, or should, to become their own person, but what they learned from their parents shaped their thinking, even if they won't admit it to anyone, at least until they are adults. If you disagree with good habits, it's your loss, and it's why there are so many problems with interpersonal relationships. When you are young, you either listen to your parents or you don't. Every problem on earth starts at home.

I agree entirely. My aversion to debt, and abhorrence of violence towards women, were handed down by my parents.

I happened to be in a car with a youth counsellor/psychologist on a ride to an airport. He said the major problem for many of the troubled youths he dealt with was the absence of a male role model.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Racist against your own race?

Yes. Check out the Indians with their Brahmins and Untouchables, or the Japanese with their Hairy Ainu.

Here, Luk Kruengs, Akha and Thai Yai don't get much joy either.

You can even find it in the good old USA, a Main Line inhabitant has very little good to say about a Kentucky hillbilly.

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

What about the woman's parents?

Narcissists come from narcissists. Either the parent spoils the child (golden child), or neglects and ,or, abuses them. Either way the child grows up with a negative outlook on life and relationships, and learns to use and control to get what they want. My ex was neglected in a family of 11 children here by a mom that had way too many kids (to bolster her low self esteem) and a dad that was rarely home and hit his kids first to control them, instead of taking time to discipline by talk (her words). She has told me she hated her mom, that she always chose the younger ones to spoil. In fact, there was always younger ones with 11 children one after the other. My ex was child number 4, which meant by the time she turned 3, there was another 7 to come, which required more attention and my ex was pushed away from that moment on, all the way through the time she left the house at 17, in favor of the next child, and the next, and the next, and so on. Neglect from age 3 turns a child into an unloved person (in her eyes also), and they go into the world with a chip on their shoulder and must control to stay above everyone else or face their fear of being left out or used. They go on to teach their children the same things, either spoiling or neglecting. Either way the child's future is set, unless they can rise above that treatment and make themselves whole. Our daughter now looks to be the golden child, as she thinks she is all she has. She lost a good ,loving man, and found a boyfriend that abuses her. This is a major reason I have to be the parent in her life, as the love from the other side isn't real.