It's Hot (What if Global Warming is Here?)

Danderman123

I don't remember an April as hot as this month. If we don't get rain soon, it's going to be unbearable.  And, if Summer is hotter, watch out!

I have started working on sunshades for my condo, using solar panels. 

Anything else useful in cooling my place?

Maybe this is just a random weather event, maybe it's the onset of Global Warming

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, bignok said:

What about the nights?

After about 4:30pm it's OK where we are (30 kms North of Chiang Mai). Overnight is cool and pleasant and the morning the same, by around 10:30/11 it's started to become too hot for me to work outside (I'm a young/strong 73). Inside the house we run aircon on dehumidify mode from mid day until we go to bed, that all we need to get the temperature down....humidity readings here are circa 75%.

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Check out Tropical Cyclone Ilsa, which recently set new records for sustained wind speeds in Australia.

Pro tip. Don't buy any real estate in Bangkok.

The recent storm that carved a narrow path through Chiang Mai a couple of weeks ago was a real eye opener for me. It started on the edge of town and weaved its way through town, zig zagging erratically until it found our house and garden. It's path was never more than a couple of hundred meters wide but the hail stones were the size of tennis balls and the winds more powerful than any I could ever possibly imagine, let alone ever seen firsthand (and I've been through a hurricane in Miami years ago). It was truly frightening experience, I expected the roof to go but fortunately it held, several large trees in our garden didn't, neither did the electric polls on our soi. Call it what you will, it's a seriously bad and it's getting worse, we're now prepping for the next one!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Interesting. Therefore nothing to do with Global Warming causing Climate Change. The reason we are hotter is because someone's throwing more coal on the fire!

Nope.

No one is throwing coal on the fire, if your "fire" is the Sun.

1 minute ago, JustThisOnePostOnly said:

Good thing that all of these volcanoes erupting has nothing to do with it.

Because otherwise we'd have to ban volcanoes.

Volcanoes cool the planet, via emissions of silicon dioxide.

It's fairly trivial to measure noxious gas output from all the cars and motor in Thailand and compare against temperature over the years.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Danderman123 said:

There is no "magma" on the Sun.

There are solar flares, but these do not impact our weather:

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/climate-qa/do-solar-storms-cause-heat-waves-earth#:~:text=Because the energy does not,measurable influence on surface temperature.

Therefore, your post is misinformation.

To simplify, solar activity has to change for decades for it to have any effect upon earth temperature.

• Love It 1

6 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

To simplify, solar activity has to change for decades for it to have any effect upon earth temperature.

Solar activity is pretty much a random walk over the medium term.

There is no correlation between current warming and solar activity. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Run air con on dehumidify mode, it's highly effective and halves the cost.

I don't know where you get this from. I believe a few factors may affect it. (Usual setting, model of AC, ambient nighttime temp) I tried it, and it put UP my electricity bill. I also woke up  feeling cold with a harsh dry sore throat. My AC cycled in that mode (fan on/off), but it brought the temperature down to 23 degC.. which I could not adjust on my unit. (Daikin). Usually I set it to 25degC cooling/ nighttime mode.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Danderman123

"I have started working on sunshades for my condo, using solar panels."

Smart move, I like it.  Are they fixed, if south facing or adjustable, if E or W facing.  Got me thinking now for a small project, as have no E facing panels now.

Haven't noticed temps being any hotter or cooler, as March & April have always been brutal.

Did have a seemingly longer rainy season last year, though may have only noticed, since solar was installed then.   But from chit chat here, seems well into late Oct, overcast & still raining most areas.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

@Danderman123

"I have started working on sunshades for my condo, using solar panels."

Smart move, I like it.  Are they fixed, if south facing or adjustable, if E or W facing.  Got me thinking now for a small project, as have no E facing panels now.

Haven't noticed temps being any hotter or cooler, as March & April have always been brutal.

Did have a seemingly longer rainy season last year, though may have only noticed, since solar was installed then.   But from chit chat here, seems well into late Oct, overcast & still raining most areas.

My condo faces north, so the Sun only heats up my condo for a few months of the year.

• Thumbs Up 2

43 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I don't know where you get this from. I believe a few factors may affect it. (Usual setting, model of AC, ambient nighttime temp) I tried it, and it put UP my electricity bill. I also woke up  feeling cold with a harsh dry sore throat. My AC cycled in that mode (fan on/off), but it brought the temperature down to 23 degC.. which I could not adjust on my unit. (Daikin). Usually I set it to 25degC cooling/ nighttime mode.

Your aircon unit needs to have a dehumidify mode, if it does (and most have) there is no associated temperature setting or control it's either dehumidify or nothing. Using aircon in this way is long established and proven practise, I thought everyone understood this. It's a fact of science that if you lower the humidity, the air feels cooler.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

My condo faces north, so the Sun only heats up my condo for a few months of the year.

Yea, that axis is a b!tch.  2nd house was rectangle, due E to W, long ways, and N wall, all glass.  Forgot about the axis, and couple months a year, the early sun was blinding for couple hours.