Unusual ventilation break-in shocks Thai homeowners

snoop1130

Screenshot_81.jpg

PHOTO: อยากดังเดี๋ยวจัดให้ รีเทริน์ part 6

A recent burglary in Thailand has drawn attention due to its unusual method of entry and the theft of assets worth around 2 million baht (US$60,000). The thieves entered the home through the bathroom ventilation system on the second floor and also stole the entire server of the closed-circuit television (CCTV) system installed in the house.

According to the homeowner’s Facebook post, the perpetrators took only four hours to break into the safe and gather the stolen items. The post urged everyone to be extra cautious, stating that even with safes and CCTV systems, no one is entirely safe in this modern age.

The authorities are actively investigating the case, and many online commenters are speculating that someone close to the family was involved in the crime. They believe that the thief or thieves were likely familiar with the layout of the house and knew exactly when no one was present.

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/crime/famous-singer-robbed-through-bathroom-air-vent-as-thieves-steal-valuables-worth-2-million-baht-netizens-suspect-close-acquaintances

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-04-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

12 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

They believe that the thief or thieves were likely familiar with the layout of the house and knew exactly when no one was present.

im going to walk right out that door........

30 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The authorities are actively investigating the case, and many online commenters are speculating that someone close to the family was involved in the crime. They believe that the thief or thieves were likely familiar with the layout of the house and knew exactly when no one was present (...)

My money is on insiders being involved, too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Most of the safes sold here are really just for fire protection.  The only thing I keep in mine is important documents.

I have read that these fire safes can be opened just by dropping them.

Never tested that though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Four hours to break-in and commit the crime?

Someone knew about the families movements, where the safe was, what was in it and where the server for the CCTV was kept.

With todays technology you'd think that all CCTV footage could be automatically saved to somewhere off-site, so that if the server is removed the evidence is saved.

In the UK you can buy a HD spycam ,remotely controlled pan and tilt from your phone for 1000 baht, and for 300 baht a month all the motion activated recordings are stored on a remote server, viewable on your smartphone at any time. I wouldn't be without mine.

No doubt Thailands tech shops offer similar products.

Cheap as chips

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, rwill said:

Most of the safes sold here are really just for fire protection.  The only thing I keep in mine is important documents.

I have read that these fire safes can be opened just by dropping them.

Never tested that though.

It appears some effort was made to get into this one... 

A house maid, a painter, guy who services the ACs.......her brother!

• Like 1

The burglars work as a gang and are continually on the move. One step ahead of the law is the term used. If they were local the police would round them up pretty quick.. 

I\we more or less got burgled in the same manner with similar size safe which was also in our bedroom next to our bed as per this case. But in our case they removed the safe, drove 50ish km and opened it via the backside in a farmers field. Nothing in it except documents which they left lying next to the safe. Nothing lost really other than the 2 Golden Spaniels they poisoned to get in the house.

• Sad 1

Having  a safe right next to a window  not a good idea,

4 hrs to get into it ,and looking at the mess they made

of it ,not very professional , but they did get away with it,

Sometimes I wonder if CCTV 's are not a draw for burglars,

if you have set up they know you have something to protect,

and they just take the system with them , unless you sent it

to the cloud.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Sometimes I wonder if CCTV 's are not a draw for burglars,

For someone that doesn't want a dog as an alarm device then CCTV is perfect if connected to you're Android. Irrespective what one has it will not deter or stop burglars trying to gain entry.

3 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

For someone that doesn't want a dog as an alarm device then CCTV is perfect if connected to you're Android. Irrespective what one has it will not deter or stop burglars trying to gain entry.

As my CCTV records here at the family abode, the footage is uploaded to the cloud storage I have.  Most folks do not know that they can set this up as well.  So Regardless if the server is stolen, the footage remains.  Will be interesting to find out this family did just that and they have videos of the perpetrators. Most do not have inside cameras either, just the ones outside.....motion detection inside cameras are needed for full home security in my book. I don't have them in every room, just the main rooms people would need to walk through. One wonders if they had these as well.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The thieves entered the home through the bathroom ventilation system on the second floor

Do they mean an open window with screen or some sort of extractor fan set up or what?

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

everyone to be extra cautious 

What a stupid place to put your safe, beside a window with blinds open, you are just inviting break and enters. 

I agree everyone should be extra cautious but some people are extra stupid. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

3 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

What a stupid place to put your safe, beside a window with blinds open, you are just inviting break and enters 

Hey, it could have been covered up with a stylish cover and a bedside table lamp on top, I mean it is next to the bed. Dual purpose served.

Edited by ThailandRyan

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

As opposed to the usual passive investigations?

Mate had his bicycle stolen. BIB said they would investigate........for Bt2000. He politely declined their offer. As it turned out a kid stole it and his mum knew who my mate was and recognised the bike. Kid ended up with a very sore ear, mate ended up with his bike back and the BIB continued to sit oin their backsides.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Hey, it could have been covered up with a stylish cover and a bedside table lamp on top, I mean it is next to the bed. Dual purpose served.

Hey, it could have had some magical dust sprinkled over it to make it vanish too. 

If covered up, I agree with you but I doubt it. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Reading the OP and the fact they took the CCTV Server and destroyed the safe in 4 hours tells me that whomever broke in knew what was in the house and had planned this event.

"...the fact they took the CCTV Server and destroyed the safe in 4 hours tells me..."

The OP told you that, not your intuition or observation!

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Reading the OP and the fact they took the CCTV Server and destroyed the safe in 4 hours tells me that whomever broke in knew what was in the house and had planned this event.

Which is exactly what the final paragraph of the post says. And I agree. Hardly a random break-in with all that planning and work involved.

The thing with a safe is about who knows you have one, from point of sale/acquisition to anyone who even enters your home or you/the wife/kids blabbing about it to anyone. There is some merit in having a certain amount of cash instantly available for certain eventualities, but it is a massive temptation to anyone... especially these days.

It's almost as if people can sniff safes out. It could be anything that can betray that a safe is in your house from the sales assistant at the shop you buy it from who then looks at your or your wife's stored data, or noting your vehicle licence plate so they can check the address somehow later through corrupt contacts, to the neighbour snitching as you unload it, to a maid/gardener/furniture delivery person/air-con service guy, to anything. The trick is to get the safe from where you get it from without anyone knowing anything about you or where it is going (which is harder than you might think). Might be better just to keep some money somehwere cunning inside the house without drawing attention to yourself... but 2 million cash is a bit excessive, unless you are up to no good and putting it in the bank would raise flags.

However, all things aside, this case looks like the perps knew everything and it was properly prepped & planned. Can't trust anyone.

• Like 1