Crafty Thai woman allegedly steals British tourist’s Rolex in Pattaya

webfact

17 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

anything of value in my room is cabled and locked and that bag is locked to my wardrobe...

But you do not have an automatic firing system yet? That's a severe security risk!

8 hours ago, simon43 said:

Dumb as a box of choccies......

And he's advising people to keep their wits about them in Pattaya  ????

Edited by BusyB

9 hours ago, Adumbration said:

I don't even understand why people need to wear a watch nowadays.

I like wearing a watch.  Partly from habit due to wearing one for the last 60 years.  

Partly so I don't have to dig out a cell phone, from a zipper closed pocket or bag, pushing a button to light up the screen and display the time, then putting the cell phone back into said pocket or bag and zipping it back closed (zippers used due to past experience with pickpockets in Thailand).   

With a watch, I just raise my arm a bit, turn the wrist, and wala, there is the time.  Takes all of 1-2  seconds, vs. the fumbling around that is sometimes required to look at a cell phone.  

1 minute ago, radiochaser said:

With a watch, I just raise my arm a bit, turn the wrist, and wala, there is the time.  

So that's how watches work .

I have always wondered how watches work and how people can know the time when wearing a watch

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Guess he did not utilize a lock box, I wonder sometimes how folks can be so Naïve.

I would not usually lock my watch in the safe, more likely to keep it on...heck at a million baht it should be waterproof enough to be on in the shower. Used to be they were all fake in Pattaya, but a flash one with inlaid stones etc, silly silly man. 

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

But you don't need a watch... you can just ask anyone else for the time or use your cell-phone...  :whistling:????

(yes, that was sarcasm),.....

I was always taught, 'If you want to know the time, ask a policeman.'  Just don't do it in Pattaya or count your fingers afterwards.

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

I was always taught, 'If you want to know the time, ask a policeman.'  Just don't do it in Pattaya or count your fingers afterwards.

I sked a policeman in the USA once and he gave me an earful!

20 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Guess he did not utilize a lock box, I wonder sometimes how folks can be so Naïve.

My guess is she did not live in the condo but was a guest of someone else and he caught her on her way out originally and obtained her contact info. Just supposition on my part.  Why travel with high end watches or even wear gold out and about.  Prime targets.

And a shower in the middle of the night? Did he mean when they got in from being out, or he just always gets up and showers in the middle of the night, I am a little confused with this part......

"And a shower in the middle of the night?"

I think most people will take a shower before doing what they gonna do - unless of course you are a "dirty unwashed Brit" as described a while ago by Mr Anutin!!! ???? 

Reminds of a story i heard, not sure if it's true. A guy used to hire a lady of the night and when he went to bed left a fake gold necklace around his condo. Often when he woke up the lady and necklace were both gone. Luckily the fake necklace cost far less than he would have paid the lady.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

... Fake watches are made in Guangzhou (China) to extraordinarily high standards such that the only way to tell is to open them up and look at the movement...  These go for about 2-3000 baht (on Lazada).

I’ve not seen the Super-clones with identical movements, that would be quite interesting. 

The fact they can build an identical watch for 2000 baht just proves what a massive rip off the real watches are for $20-50,000.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

So that's how watches work .

I have always wondered how watches work and how people can know the time when wearing a watch

Yes.  It much more of a pain when I used a pocket watch.  Move my jacket aside, fumble to pull the watch out of my watch pocket, look then fumble to put it back inside the watch pocket.  I was told I should use a watch fob with the pocket watch.   Sort of like trying to get the time from a cell phone.  

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai woman who he claims stole his luxury Rolex watch worth almost one million baht

Makes a change from the weekly ladyboy stealing Indian gold necklace article. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

1 hour ago, sambum said:

I think most people will take a shower before doing what they gonna do - unless of course you are a "dirty unwashed Brit" as described a while ago by Mr Anutin!

This dirty unwashed likes to shower after! (With my watch on!)

Edited by jacko45k

Rolex watches totally overpriced give me a G Shock every day of the week I have several but my favourite one is the one I’ve had since 1999 from Japan I wear it every day it’s never been serviced and it looks as good as the day I purchased it .

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

Reminds of a story i heard, not sure if it's true. A guy used to hire a lady of the night and when he went to bed left a fake gold necklace around his condo. Often when he woke up the lady and necklace were both gone. Luckily the fake necklace cost far less than he would have paid the lady.

I’ll have to try that trick see if it works 

21 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I know that some people might not believe this but not everyone has their phone in their hand 24 hours a day. If you are someone who actually has a life then a quick flick of the wrist to check the time is, and will always be the way to go.

So agree Dmax. I have a watch which could well be the best I have ever had. A casio it has a yellow face , gold numbers and gold hands , if out and about on my bike I can tell the time with just a glance.

4 hours ago, Henryford said:

Please, i just paid 1600 for mine, looks genuine.

After my first holiday here I bought a fake Rolex . On arriving home the thing ground to a stop so I went to a watch shop and asked for my Rolex to be cleaned. Chap said if he sent the watch to Rolex it would come back smashed . I replied  " I hope it's not a fake I paid 12 quid for it ".

18 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

If it was say the GMT in gold it would be around that. But was it? 

My old (late) Swedish friend bought a gold Rolex Oyster Perpetual some years ago, and it was around a million Baht. He had an amazing watch collection, including 3 or 4 (real) Rolexes.

18 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Oh yes, I've seen his mugshot on election posters all over the place.

I doubt it, he was a Swedish farang. In my many years in Thailand I had some very wealthy farang friends.

5 minutes ago, bignok said:

$100 watch is 200m waterproof. Dont need to spend more.

no indeed, and a renualt dechevaux will get you from A to B.

but are you really so simple that dont understand there is a distinction?

Is your world view that limited, that you cant see that some people who can afford it want more than the basics?   

Edited by n00dle