Phuket to enforce more control on motorbike rentals as 15th foreigner this year dies in Karon area

webfact

I have rented many 125 cc Honda motorcycles, and they are good to get around on. One thing that I did notice over the 

years was young tourists renting the larger motorcycles and racing them around, sometimes very

close to out of control, so I am not at all surprised to hear of the 15 deaths. Young and dumb, is all I could think

when these guys went racing by. Most people rent the bikes and have a good holiday, RIP to those foolish ones

who kill themselves in Thailand on the big bikes.

Harvey

On 5/15/2023 at 7:07 AM, Goat said:

Renting a motorbike is a good way to get around cheaply and for many have a better holiday.

When my friends and I were in our twenties we nearly all rented motorbikes. We all lived.

As have tens of thousands of others over the years.

Nobody is being forced to rent a motorbike. It is a freedom of choice.

People die in cars and vans also. Should we ban them to protect a minute minority?

These rental motorbikes are hardly high powered. About as dangerous as riding a push bike.

If you think they are excessively dangerous, then dont rent one. No need to concern yourself with people who do. Up to them.

Bizarre! Well obviously Darwin sometimes fails! Little 125cc they rent out in Thailand can well exceed 80mph which is fast and lethal for a novice. This fact was realised years ago in the UK and now a CBT has to be done along with a written test before going on the road. The law in Thailand is "Thai's need a Thai Driving License to ride motorbikes". A shop should be liable for correctly insuring motorbikes they rent out to cover accidents and injuries as do other countries. Try checking the statistics of road deaths in Thailand before making juvenile bizzare statements. The fact one tourist in nine days a tourist is dying is alarming and the figure shocked me. From a Biker of over 45 years (with 20 years riding motorbikes in Thailand) yes I have both UK and Thai Driving licences. 

1 hour ago, BritScot said:

Bizarre! Well obviously Darwin sometimes fails! Little 125cc they rent out in Thailand can well exceed 80mph which is fast and lethal for a novice. This fact was realised years ago in the UK and now a CBT has to be done along with a written test before going on the road. The law in Thailand is "Thai's need a Thai Driving License to ride motorbikes". A shop should be liable for correctly insuring motorbikes they rent out to cover accidents and injuries as do other countries. Try checking the statistics of road deaths in Thailand before making juvenile bizzare statements. The fact one tourist in nine days a tourist is dying is alarming and the figure shocked me. From a Biker of over 45 years (with 20 years riding motorbikes in Thailand) yes I have both UK and Thai Driving licences. 

As i said me and all my friends just coped just fine.

Who cares about the UK???? Too cold and miserable to ride a scooter there. Or even visit.

I personally do not know any tourist who has died from a scooter crash in Thailand. 

Question is.....do you? No need to work yourself up about it.

And i have known and met hundreds who have a better holiday because of their easy and cheap availability.

What's needed is a low powered vehicle (electric bike perhaps) to replace the motorbike. People like the fact that they don't have to rely on public transport especially if a short journey (like around town).

When they introduced mopeds to Britain years ago they were restricted to under 50cc and you could ride them on a car license.

On 5/16/2023 at 11:04 AM, Goat said:

Who cares about the UK???? Too cold and miserable to ride a scooter there. Or even visit.

I personally do not know any tourist who has died from a scooter crash in Thailand. 

And i have known and met hundreds who have a better holiday because of their easy and cheap availability.

Again wow! Firstly your views on the UK are shocking and pathetic. You have obviously read some dreary articles and have such a biased and almost racist that's totally ill-informed view of a country you obviously have never been to.. You still have not grasped the shocking danger for tourists in Thailand 1 in every 9 days dying on motorbikes, let that sink in Jack) and your I'm OK Jack attitude speaks volumes to your character.  I have lived and worked in Thailand,  we still own a house there but our home is in Scotland. When I was younger I rode 12 months of the year in Scotland and enjoyed every day. Now I enjoy sitting in my garden spring summer and autumn (even some winter nights with a firepit and friends). The sky is often clear blue with no choking smog, we have great family holidays in the uk and also wonderful holidays in Thailand visiting friends. Shocking attitude. Very sad.

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2023 at 5:04 PM, Goat said:

Like the previous poster in my youth I drove a scooter when 16, passed my test and graduated to a 500cc Triumph. You just wrap up to suit the cold wet conditions.

How selfish to say you 'personally' don't know anyone killed. Have some consideration to the families and friends.

I know 'personally' quite a few of our many guests who rented a bike and had a bad accident. Ruined their holiday.

Edited by LivinginKata

On 5/15/2023 at 7:37 AM, LivinginKata said:

Have you ever rented one of these 125 or 150cc bikes.  Push bike maybe 40 kph. M bike 90 + kph. I consider that high pwered.

A 50cc bike hitting at a solid object will kill you same as a bike double the CC. Maybe the powers that be should start banning kids under 14 first then School Children who have never had a lesson or learned road safety first before blaming tourists again.

• Confused 1