COVID makes comeback in Thailand as booster fatigue leaves door open

webfact

10 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

As I said, whether this was malice, incompetence, or both, we won't find out for a few years yet.

No, it was a few isolated instances of a few politicians or government officials slightly overstating the details of the very good benefits that the COVID vaccines were expected to accomplish.

Which, in my view, is a whole lot more acceptable than others in the political realm who publicly promoted unproven and dangerous medications that led to people poisoning themselves thinking that they were taking COVID cures/treatments.

Save your outrage for where it's truly deserved.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

The science didn't change.

Even novice virologists know that respiratory viruses, by their nature, evolve quickly and become less controllable by vaccines. Influenza and the common cold have demonstrated this with crystal clarity for decades.

The 'advice' given in the early phases of the pandemic, with their blanket 100% vaccination guarantee, omitted this simple and obvious caveat to vaccine efficiency.

As I said, whether this was malice, incompetence, or both, we won't find out for a few years yet.

Of course the science changed, the evidence was in the studies they carried out to prove it. Hence the evolving advice given. Flu by the way is not a coronavirus

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/2/2023 at 8:32 AM, ThailandRyan said:

It appears that Thailand is not alone with rising cases.  It appears they are increasing in many places, but it was to be expected.  Since Covid is now endemic we will see these fluctuations yearly during the certain seasons which we see increases for other illnesses occur.  Could be a myriad of reasons.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-cases

I made it through the the 20-21 outbreaks and thought I was in the clear. Ended up getting it anyway just a few months ago. I never got any boosters and it was mild but then the girlfriend and her whole family go it. I became convinced that everybody is going to get it. And I haven't had the flu in more than 10 years.

On 6/3/2023 at 8:26 PM, dinsdale said:

Can the same be said for the covid vaccinations? 

Probably yes, with the millions that have been administered, some people on their 4th or fifth and still alive.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 6/2/2023 at 9:27 PM, Paradise Pete said:

If I could get a vaccine for dengue I'd take that too.

There are  currently hundreds of new MRNA vaccines in the making

so you wont have to worry on that

12 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Indeed!

Including a jab to stop the weight challenged craving food and insomnia.

A wonderful jab-future awaits us.

A jab a day and a vaccine passport big as an old phone book

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A reminder that this is a Thailand related thread and certainly nothing to do with Fauci. Please keep on topic going forward.

Topic

COVID makes comeback in Thailand as booster fatigue leaves door open

A comment on moderation has also been removed

1 hour ago, lessismore said:

You address what I never said!  Like if I say "this is a tall grass" then you claim trees are taller. True, but meh...

OK, the science.  I said The SARS-2 betacoronavirus that originated in Wuhan and its derivatives eventually proved to be much more infective and mutated faster than scientists expected for a coronavirus. Many papers and lots of cool graphs discuss this, especially Omicron, which now holds the record for the fastest spreading virus ever and a mutational nightmare.

As hard proof, scientists have now discovered at least one biological reason for SARS-2's unusual mutation ability, which proves the point. read here

"Researchers have found the first experimental evidence explaining why the COVID-19 virus produces variants, such as delta and omicron, so quickly."

the underlying publication

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 7:08 PM, Eleftheros said:

I am sure that you know as well is I do that extremely senior members of the US Government, the leading health authorities and their toadies in the media, all made statements to the effect that the vaccines provided absolute 100% protection from infection and transmission of Covid-19.

You will have seen the videos of them saying exactly that, just as I and millions of other people have.

The statements about 100% effectiveness were flat-out wrong. Whether they already knew what they were saying was wrong depends on whether they were acting maliciously or were plain incompetent. Or both.

You are bouncing around, between claiming that government authorities made incorrect statements about vaccines, to claims that the medical community is wrong about vaccination.

Bottom line: vaccination protects against Covid infection, the degree of protection depends on the particular variant.

• Like 1

As we have discussed before it was only a matter of time before an annual boost/vaccination for Covid would be developed and needed.  Still waiting to see what the actual language will say.  The articles below indicate the need for simplification much like is already done on an annual basis with the flu vaccine and others. Just proposals but I venture to say they will see the light of day

https://creakyjoints.org/living-with-arthritis/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccines/fda-simplify-covid-strategy/

Experts believe this is one step toward creating an annual COVID-19 shot for most Americans. In another proposed new plan, an annual vaccine dose would be matched to circulating strains of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, similar to the flu shot, per STAT News. Two doses would be given to immunocompromised individuals, older people, and children.

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20230124/fda-wants-an-annual-covid-vaccine

Having an annual COVID-19 shot, alongside the flu shot, could make it simpler for doctors and health care providers to share vaccination recommendations and reminders, according to Leana Wen, MD, a public health professor at George Washington University and former Baltimore health commissioner.

“It would be easier [for primary care doctors and other health care providers] to encourage our patients to get one set of annual shots, rather than to count the number of boosters or have two separate shots that people have to obtain,” she says.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

Excuse me, they weren't just "a handful of people".

They were the leaders of the country and thus the people who decided subsequent policy based on those false claims.

You are excused, in the UK that was never claimed, in Thailand it was never claimed in just about every other country it was never claimed yet public policy was still the same as in the US if not stricter. Again clutching at straws.

• Like 1