LIVE Boris Johnson resigns: Ex-PM quits Parliament over Partygate report

onthedarkside

Boris Johnson's parting shot resignation letter is a rage-fuelled recognition he is never coming back

In the months to come, Boris Johnson's decision today will be seen as an inevitability, rather than as a consequence of the privileges committee. Don't read this as a declaration of war against his enemies but as rage-fuelled recognition his political career is over

2 hours ago, Social Media said:

Boris Johnson's parting shot resignation letter is a rage-fuelled recognition he is never coming back

In the months to come, Boris Johnson's decision today will be seen as an inevitability, rather than as a consequence of the privileges committee. Don't read this as a declaration of war against his enemies but as rage-fuelled recognition his political career is over

Amongst other things, he called for lowering taxes. It is to laugh.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

What a day yesterday was.

I switched on the 9 o’clock news hoping the catch the special council’s announcement, saw the Breaking News’ banner and there it was, tge self serving narcissistic liar was resigning as an MP.

And of course he went out in a blaze of whining and whinging.

Good riddance to bad stuff.

Nadine Dorries went too, wonderful stuff.

Two bye-elections, two chances to let the Government know what’s coming their way.

Now do the right thing Sunak’s, put a stop to Johnson’s honors list, which is stuffed full of people directly implicated in the events that have brought down Johnson (AKA a bung to prospective witnesses against him).

That made your day?

So sad. I sympathise.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

Did I say it ‘made my day’?

No I did not.

I’ll speculate it didn’t make yours, but I won’t put words in your mouth.

The phrase " what a day yesterday was" speaks volumes.

No, it didn't make my day. I have a life, a family, friends and things going on that far out strip anything about things I can't control about people I've never met.

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

That made your day?

So sad. I sympathise.

Surely that should be 'making my day'? The day wasn't over at the time of your - or this - post?

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, RayC said:

Surely that should be 'making my day'? The day wasn't over at the time of your - or this - post?

To be honest, I didn't even know the news until I saw it here and, thus, didn't know the timing of said news.

The post I quoted said " what a day yesterday was" followed by " I switched on the 9 o'clock news". (AM orPM?). The grammar and tenses of the sentences suggest the same day.  Yesterday being over, I wrote in the past tense.

Edited by youreavinalaff

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

Nothing personal. Just an observation.

I have something. Thanks.

You claimed it made his day. Here's a definition of it made someone's day:

"to cause someone's day to be pleasant or happy."

https://www.google.com/search?q=it+made+his+day+defination&oq=it+made+his+day+defination&aqs=chrome..69i57.6693j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And you claimed it was sad that this news made his day. In other words made him happy. So you construed he was happy and that it was sad that he felt that way.

How is alleging someone's emotional state and judging to to be sad that someone felt that way, not personal?

You've got less than nothing.

8 minutes ago, placeholder said:

You claimed it made his day. Here's a definition of it made someone's day:

"to cause someone's day to be pleasant or happy."

https://www.google.com/search?q=it+made+his+day+defination&oq=it+made+his+day+defination&aqs=chrome..69i57.6693j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And you claimed it was sad that this news made his day. In other words made him happy. So you construed he was happy and that it was sad that he felt that way.

How is alleging someone's emotional state and judging to to be sad that someone felt that way, not personal?

You've got less than nothing.

Little do you know how much I have.

Thanks for caring.

• Like 1

Realistically, he probably had very little choice - facing as he was the determined attempts of the establishment both within the Tory Party ( who seem hell bent on committing electoral suicide), and the wider political and civil service, to force him from public life.

He certainly upset them, both parts, and their response over the last two years is an interesting reflection on our public life, and perhaps the increasingly marginalized part the electoral process and the electorate play in it.

Quite remarkable really when you look at what Blair got away with!