Burglary would you stay

Suphawk

If you lived in a house where you had a thief breakin while you were sleeping. Would you stay in that house or area or would you move?

Having a hard time , going between being pissed off, sad, violated etc. 

Feeling like I'm being blamed, like I brought crime to the neighborhood, but nobody knows that I live here, no other foreigners. Also this has me doubting my longtime GF of 3 years. If somehow she had a "friend" involved. Highly doubtful but these are the thoughts that can enter your mind when you are trying to make sense of a bad situation.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Have you considered a large dog? Something like a Rottweiler, Pitbull, Doberman. Or even a large "Thai" dog.

Pitbull's are a good choice (for an experienced owner) since they have a terrible reputation here in Thailand but are actually great companions, funny and easy to live with. The chances are, whoever did this knew who lived there (a farang with very few connections) and they'd also know that you now have a large dog. Tell the woman at the local mom and pop shop how strong and unhinged the dog is. Everyone in the village will hear this gossip within hours.

Just that knowledge alone would likely stop any future break-ins since Thais (like many people) prefer a soft target and are unlikely to try to get past a snarling Rottweiler when next door has a Shih Tzu.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, proton said:

Pit bulls are not a good choice, they are illegal in many countries and are unpredictably violent killers, any determined burglar would kill a dog anyway, and if it was a Put Bull good riddance. 

They are a poor choice for inexperienced owners or complete ignoramuses with no knowledge of the breed. 

I'd suggest you avoid them, but not because you are an inexperienced owner ????.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would try to analyze the situation:

Did the burglar take the obvious things? I.e. maybe a notebook or phone in the middle of the room?

Or was something stolen which was "hidden"? Maybe a watch in a drawer. Or some documents?

Was something expensive and in the open not stolen?

Would a casual thief, maybe a drug addict, take what was taken? Or was there more to it?

• Like 1

Few years back where i Live it was rife lots of stand alone villas down the dark soi's not just Farang owned houses, I did get told the local poo yai baan's got together this has to stop, 

I haven't heard of any houses getting broken into for a while, 

The best thing to do when you look at your house think like a thief where are the weak spots that a thief would go for, we had empty land around us for years so obviously the back would be a point of entry, so I put wrought iron on the windows the back door and the upstairs windows, if you want to break in my house they would have to make a lot of noise, We have a roller shutters on the front any thief would look at my house and give it a miss find an easier job, They have improved the street lighting over the years and I leave 2 flouresant lights on the front driveway

I dont have a dog or cameras,

I'm wondering what a burglar would even find to steal if he hit my and my partner's place.  We own no gold coins, gold bars, fine (or un-fine) jewelry.  A couple of odds and ends rings we used to wear that I'd be hard-pressed to locate in a pile of storage boxes.  No bitcoins.  No loose diamonds or emeralds.  No safe filled with cash--although we do have a small safe that we bought sometime ago that we haven't gotten around to getting out of the box.  No expensive watches--we wear those inexpensive sport watches that tell us how many, or in my case few, steps we take a day.  Our tvs are huge--one is 75 inches--so, hopefully, too big to easily cart off.  No Van Goghs on the walls, more's the pity.  No Giacometti or Remington table sculptures.  I guess that leaves our laptops and cell phones. . .

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Suphawk said:

If you lived in a house where you had a thief breakin while you were sleeping. Would you stay in that house or area or would you move?

Having a hard time , going between being pissed off, sad, violated etc. 

Feeling like I'm being blamed, like I brought crime to the neighborhood, but nobody knows that I live here, no other foreigners. Also this has me doubting my longtime GF of 3 years. If somehow she had a "friend" involved. Highly doubtful but these are the thoughts that can enter your mind when you are trying to make sense of a bad situation.

Yeah, just suspect your girlfriend. I guess she would be super happy to hear your thoughts about her.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Feeling like I'm being blamed, like I brought crime to the neighborhood,

Why say this....

Also this has me doubting my longtime GF of 3 years

And then this. My guess is she is the one blaming you.

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

get a safe for cash, jewellery ...

Don't bother. That was the only thing that was stolen when I got burgled. Luckily it was empty. 

Bolt it to the floor and wall.

Edited by rattlesnake
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

Always look sh*t poor, mentally unstable and leave your doors and windows unlocked.  That way, no-one will bother to break into your house.

It has worked for me for over 20 years...

I grew up in a tough neighbourhood and we would never lock the car. The guys were free to have a look, see there was nothing to steal and venture elsewhere.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

I grew up in a tough neighbourhood and we would never lock the car. The guys were free to have a look, see there was nothing to steal and venture elsewhere.

if a thief wants to rob your house it doesn't matter how much or how many safety doors/windows/alarms and so forth, if they really want to rob they will find a way, surely their prefer the easier access homes/shops/cars but if they have their mind set on a place they will find a way.....

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

if a thief wants to rob your house it doesn't matter how much or how many safety doors/windows/alarms and so forth, if they really want to rob they will find a way, surely their prefer the easier access homes/shops/cars but if they have their mind set on a place they will find a way.....

Agreed, but for the random opportunist, there is a psychological aspect. A thief will not enter a house with the lights on, for instance. Just leave the light on behind the front door.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Have you considered a large dog? Something like a Rottweiler, Pitbull, Doberman. Or even a large "Thai" dog.

Pitbull's are a good choice (for an experienced owner) since they have a terrible reputation here in Thailand but are actually great companions, funny and easy to live with. The chances are, whoever did this knew who lived there (a farang with very few connections) and they'd also know that you now have a large dog. Tell the woman at the local mom and pop shop how strong and unhinged the dog is. Everyone in the village will hear this gossip within hours.

Just that knowledge alone would likely stop any future break-ins since Thais (like many people) prefer a soft target and are unlikely to try to get past a snarling Rottweiler when next door has a Shih Tzu.

Maybe a Thai ridge-back

• Like 1