Call from bank re 'scan passport 50,000 baht limit' on transactions

Last week I  had a call from Kiatakin bank saying that they wanted to me to take my passport to the local branch to allow them to scan. New rule from central bank of thailand. 

I had until the end of this month. If I didnt do it my account is limited to 50k transactions. 

Has anyone else heard of this BS?

thanks

• Confused 6

it takes 2 minutes and if you are out of Thailand and need to make transfers its best to do it. I did mine 2 weeks ago at Bangkok bank, but it not only restricts transfers, but you will be limited to 50K spend a combination of spend transfers, scan or use of card.

You need this to raise your daily limit if you reach your set transactions.

• Like 1

Was in Bangkok Bank the other day and they took photo of farang for that reason. By his shirt I would say he had a business so probably larger transfers. I was served not long after him and no photo.

On a side note my wife deposited $3000 into our joint account at the Commonwealth Bank in Australia yesterday and was asked for ID to deposit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I called scb and kasikorn about this a couple of months ago when news surfaced.

They both said not for westerners at that stage but we're working on it.

The only difference was scb were limiting to 50k and kasikorn weren't.

Sounds like that has changed.

I have still recieved nothing to say go and do it.

Never heard of Kiatakin bank but I got a message from Krungsri Bank asking me in for a photograph.

Seems they are moving to "Facial Recognition" as part of a security upgrade, so this may be the reason your bank is speaking with you ?

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 10:09 AM, cracker1 said:

Never heard of Kiatakin bank but I got a message from Krungsri Bank asking me in for a photograph.

Seems they are moving to "Facial Recognition" as part of a security upgrade, so this may be the reason your bank is speaking with you ?

Kiatnakin Phatra Bank

Kiatnakin Phatra Bank is a full-service bank based in Thailand. The bank was founded in January 1971 in Bangkok with 17,000 million baht in funds, and has grown to 52 branches. It was listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand in August 1988 and is included in the SET50 Index.  Headquartered in Bangkok.

https://bank.kkpfg.com/en/home

1 hour ago, snowgard said:

So or so every farang must show his/her passport when opening a bank account in thailand. And the bank staff copy it.

Of course. No news.

And don't think that some copy of your passport photo serves the task.

The picture is used for biometrics/facial recognition for which certain quality is required and stored digitally.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/17/2023 at 12:04 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Could you personally go to your bank and transfer 100k? 

Maybe they only limit what can be done online. And maybe they do that for security reasons to protect their customers.

That sounds like a sensible idea to me.

Online banking only is my understanding too.

At the counter you are still identified by a human from your passport.

I have Bangkok Bank, SCB and Kasikorn and not yet got the slightest hint.

Last transfer was some 49k :biggrin:

I could move around some 100k between accounts but... no. Wait and see.

On the other hand: I remember been pictured at SCB and Kasikorn at some visits months ago.
Maybe prepared?

Edited by KhunBENQ

22 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

do you know if this new requirement is only for foreigners or does the wife also have to go and show id?

It is for all customers, The Central Bank of Thailand has issued a new security law that has to be followed by all banks. They need a picture of your face to enable biometric test if you want to do bigger transactions (50K +).

I had the same from Bangkok Bank, and indeed I was limited to 50k. Now remedied. I went into the branch, they checked my passport and took a photo. Now when I do a large transaction, it accesses the selfie camera on the phone to check that it matches the photo on record, and then the transaction proceeds.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I remember been pictured at SCB and Kasikorn at some visits months ago.

Over a year ago when finally able to deposit some cash money into my children's accounts, ttb copied my passport and made sure my photo was on their cctv without the mask.

Could understand if I was withdrawing money but I was depositing relatively small sums.

2 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Could understand if I was withdrawing money but I was depositing relatively small sums.

A classic indication of money laundering is depositing money into accounts not in your name, and starting with lower amounts to build up a pattern before increasing them over time.  The bank did well to act as they did.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 11:36 AM, Tuvoc said:

I had the same from Bangkok Bank, and indeed I was limited to 50k. Now remedied. I went into the branch, they checked my passport and took a photo. Now when I do a large transaction, it accesses the selfie camera on the phone to check that it matches the photo on record, and then the transaction proceeds.

Thanks for that. Just tested out the same and will go to Bangkok Bank.

Just noticed that I wrote about the 50k limit in another thread.

I tested transfer >50 from Kasikorn to Bangkok Bank, no problem.

I tested transfer >50 from SCB to Bangkok Bank, no problem.

BUT trying to transfer >50 from Bangkok Bank to SCB ended here:

image.png.3f7ae9a0b7c1a0b0c49f398bef13a60b.png

Kasikorn app on the other hand showed me this on the app when selecting facial:

image.png.597119092ff7fe0189a06c5cfb0d7a90.png

Both SCB and Kasikorn (still) show daily limits of 200k to other banks while Bangkok Bank shows 50k (now).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2023 at 12:03 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Obviously, yes, it applies to all foreigners, not just "farangs", as you put it.   

There are no countries that do not require confirmed passport ID when a foreigner is opening a bank account.

That isn’t true. 

In the US, lots of forms of foreign IDs can be used to open bank accounts. A passport can be used but is not needed if other forms of ID are available.

https://promo.bankofamerica.com/international-banking/professionals/

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Everyman said:

In the US, lots of forms of foreign IDs can be used to open bank accounts. A passport can be used but is not needed if other forms of ID are available.

And at the same time the US puts most pressure to banks worldwide to properly identify its customers.

4 hours ago, Everyman said:
On 6/18/2023 at 12:03 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Obviously, yes, it applies to all foreigners, not just "farangs", as you put it.   

There are no countries that do not require confirmed passport ID when a foreigner is opening a bank account.

That isn’t true. 

In the US, lots of forms of foreign IDs can be used to open bank accounts.

Ok, there's one country that maybe, in exceptional cases, doesn't require it.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

3 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Wow, is there a new bank on the block in Thailand. 

OMG, not another Thai bank ????

Just for your info:  Kiatnakin bank has been around a long time.

Main Commercial Banks are:

Siam Commercial Bank

Kasikornbank

Bangkok Bank

Krung Thai Bank

Government Savings Bank

Bank of Ayudhya (Krungsri)

Thanachart Bank (49% owned by Scotiabank)

TMB Bank

Kiatnakin Bank

CIMB

Standard Chartered Bank (Thai)

United Overseas Bank (Thai)

TISCO Bank

Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (Thai)

Mega ICBC