Household debt in Thailand soars to 86.9% of GDP, dampening consumer spending

webfact

A ticking time bomb and a huge bubble seems ready to burst.  Standby if your extended family is at the end of there credit lines.  A few years back I watched as a Family in Udon Thani, just outside of town on the ring road, just packed up the truck one day and left the house they had been buying from the bank.  Left the doors wide open. Apparently they did let the bank know and within a few hours after they left a bank employee showed up with a handyman.  This was in a newer Moo Ban near the airport, near a friend of mine.  I just happened to be visiting when this all went down.  The bank employee took photos inside and out, and then the handyman secured the doors with new hasps and locks as well as placing a lock on the gate. My friend indicated that he had heard, from his wife, that they had a business that failed as well and owed many creditors.

One has to wonder what people own the local loan sharks in addition to the banks.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Missus had a government employee pal who was fired for corruption!

We rented her defaulted and fully furnished Korat bungalow for 5K a month while our BKK apartment was refurbished to lease, the juristic fees on our apt are nearly 9K!

The bank showed up early, but not before we had the apartment sorted.

With owners permission, we had the aircons stripped out, and took them to our other place in Chiang Mai that we had to leave empty while BKK work was being done, as it was a days ride to the apt in Bangkok. 

21 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Lots of people I bet pay 30 to even 50% of salary on a car payment.  Got to look hiso in a Fortunner.

A few years ago, " Bloomberg" described Thailand as a Nation full of people driving around in BMW Cars, but living in Tin Shacks

Never more true than it is today

• Like 2

On 6/18/2023 at 11:47 PM, hotchilli said:

What is affecting consumer spending now are the low wages compared to living costs.

Eventually after borrowing has come to it's limit there is no more money to spend.

People have been borrowing for the last decade to keep going and now the bubble is about to burst.

It appears that living beyond one's means is a universal trait. 

You're comments above hold true regarding the expanding prices everything and anything, while wages/salaries remain stagnant. These inconsistencies of everyday life and the added consciousness of unnecessary consumption and accumulation naturally drive the need to loan and extend exhaustive credit......

• Like 1

I'm always baffled at prices here. I like Fishermen's Friends and buy a packet when ever I shop at 7/11. A friend pointed out that the young girl serving, needs to work an hour to buy a packet at 36baht. Also, she has a couple of Thai builders working on an extension for her, she pays them 400baht a day. They work from 8 till 5 with an hour for lunch. "are they any good I asked", "their work is great" she replied. How is this even possible with food prices being so high? Big C are almost as expensive as London and if you want imported fare you'll easily pay double. Could be why every Big C I visit is usually quite empty, wonder how they make any money. Sometimes there are more staff than customers...maybe it's just me.

17 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

A few years ago, " Bloomberg" described Thailand as a Nation full of people driving around in BMW Cars, but living in Tin Shacks

Very much so.... I used to eat every Friday at a great 'restaurant' in a tin shack village nearby and there was quite a collection of good vehicles in front of these one room hovels. Even the poorer ones had red plate PCX motorcycles.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Walker88 said:

This all went bad during the reign of the junta, reflecting its lack of expertise in running a modern economy. Hopefully the new government will both have ideas and be willing to tell it like it is.

Thaksin's early TRT policies were already aimed at increasing consumer debt in order to stimulate the economy.

• Haha 1

Interest rates on savings are 1 percent to 1,5 percent . 

Why is it that Vietnam and Cambodia have over 6 percent on offer for savings accounts .

I think the debt problem in Thailand would bring the banks down if they offered the same interest rates as there neighbouring countries . 

• Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 3:45 PM, Cake Monster said:

But it is understandable....Thailand is warm, a well maintained heated house is not that important if there is never a winter. Some Shacks are good enough to protect you from the weather,

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, h90 said:

But it is understandable....Thailand is warm, a well maintained heated house is not that important if there is never a winter. Some Shacks are good enough to protect you from the weather,

Or as a Thai man once said to me ........ my shack is for the wife and kids ..... my gfs only ever see my new car.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Thaksin's early TRT policies were already aimed at increasing consumer debt in order to stimulate the economy.

Nonsense.

Thaksin funnelled a bucketload of public money into the hands of the poor and made it easier for them to acquire legitimate credit to reduce their reliance on loan sharks charging 20% per month.

• Like 2

On 6/19/2023 at 4:17 PM, hotchilli said:

What is affecting consumer spending now are the low wages compared to living costs.

Eventually after borrowing has come to it's limit there is no more money to spend.

People have been borrowing for the last decade to keep going and now the bubble is about to burst.

Borrowing never ends.

First it is the bank(s), then friends, family, children, Mom & Pop shop.......????????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

From your link:

Thaksin promised to create a debt management company to remove bad assets from the country's banks and eliminate significant amounts of private and public sector corporate debt.

and

Another economic crisis driven by over-extended consumers and unproductive investment is improbable over the next several years

Also, there is no mention of off book loanshark debt issues that plague(d) the country.

Wrong? I think not.

• Thumbs Up 1