Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

What is the alternate cash tree of teak wood in thailand ?

AppuVinoth

my parents grow teak wood for 25 years, but they did mistake by planting trees too close, 
Even after 25 years the tree not fatter, it thin and in market they ask only 500B /tree

it so sad story, so i want to cut it all and make a good start up for my future..

so what tree is best after 15 years i need to get some good amount from it

pls give some suggestion....

• Like 1

Our farmland has border ucalytus trees they grow like wildfire, we have a number cut down about every 5 years but not great money, from memory price per tree ranges from 500 to 800 baht from memory.

I've seen some people around my area grown plantations of mahogany trees. 

Don't know if they would be better than teak for your situation. 

You might have to fsrrilaze the soil if the teak trees have used up all the nutrients after all those years of growing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Heard recently that rosewood trees planted today will be bought back by the company for up to 100k\tree after 10 years. Can start selling after about 5 years but for much less.

You need a permit to sell the trees so you should look for a company that can arrange the permit and supply the plants

• Like 1

1 hour ago, captnhoy said:

Eucalyptus grows fast and after cut will grow again. I saw it make more money per rai than rice

What's the 2023 per tonne rate?

In 2009 it dropped to 450 baht per tonne - not per tree. At one stage it was under 250 baht/tonne - that was less than the cost of the seedlings/planting.

Think now it's around 1250 per tonne, unsure where the latest rates are notified.

A good harvest at five years is 13.5 - 14.5 tonne per rai.

Factor in the five years of no return; the cost of initial planting, fertiliser, harvesting, transport to mill ... plants coppice once for regrowth but next time round there's thousands of stumps to be removed.

Trees need climate with rainfall 800mm+ pa and/or irrigation - they're very thirsty.

We inherited 40 rai in Sa Kaeo - covered costs but otherwise a pointless exercise financially; if I drank beer it would be 'beer money. 

Maybe a nice cup of tea.

spacer.png

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

In 2009 it dropped to 450 baht per tonne - not per tree. At one stage it was under 250 baht/tonne - that was less than the cost of the seedlings/planting.

Think now it's around 1250 per tonne, unsure where the latest rates are notified.

A good harvest at five years is 13.5 - 14.5 tonne per rai.   . . . . SNIP

Great response. My input was as an interested observer on the sidelines. And there you were in the thick of it.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Heard recently that rosewood trees planted today will be bought back by the company for up to 100k\tree after 10 years. Can start selling after about 5 years but for much less.

You need a permit to sell the trees so you should look for a company that can arrange the permit and supply the plants

If the returns are as good and so high hurdles for others to enter the market (permission required) and the company already has the plants, the permissions etc then why wouldn't they just get their own land and do it all themselves? Honest question because it sounds like the company is just marketing to sell their plants.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

If the returns are as good and so high hurdles for others to enter the market (permission required) and the company already has the plants, the permissions etc then why wouldn't they just get their own land and do it all themselves? Honest question because it sounds like the company is just marketing to sell their plants.

Rosewood tree doesnt grow easily, thats why it is rear. 

Most important when deciding what to grow, is location, and what grows there. Second is who is going to buy, and what price you can expect to get. Hard tree do not grow easily, and as anything else, it will be graded and paid for the quality produced. 

Op do not say anything about location or if willing to look after his seedlings, because everything you put in earth and expext any return, needs to be taken care of, looked after and protected. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Good point, but they would have to purchase land and then do all the work from preparing the soil, planting, taking care of the trees till they're ready for harvest. Much bigger investment than outsourcing to farmers.

For many years CP has been doing it with other crops such as corn - they sell you the seeds and then buy the ready produce after it has been dried to specs. Recently they have started doing the complete process by themselves in some areas on leased and purchased land but I'm not sure the big investment they have to put down will be worth it in the first few years.

On 6/22/2023 at 7:37 PM, gomangosteen said:

A good harvest at five years is 13.5 - 14.5 tonne per rai.

Factor in the five years of no return; the cost of initial planting, fertiliser, harvesting, transport to mill ... plants coppice once for regrowth but next time round there's thousands of stumps to be removed.

Trees need climate with rainfall 800mm+ pa and/or irrigation - they're very thirsty.

We inherited 40 rai in Sa Kaeo - covered costs but otherwise a pointless exercise financially; if I drank beer it would be 'beer money. 

Maybe a nice cup of tea.

spacer.png

We have a biofuel plant near here, they will buy all wood now for 900-1000 baht/ton, depending on size of the wood, a lot is Eucalyptus.

What the price is for Eucalyptus going for the building trade is I am not shore but I would say it would be about the same price.

I see a good few trucks of Eucalyptus on the main road going down to Bangkok for the paper business, Double A is a popular one ,I think they have they own plantations, and they might contact out.

On 6/22/2023 at 1:43 PM, pookett said:

I assume you did not apply the essential "thinning" process for teak trees.

A combination of two thinnings should be carried out every four years. One is health so that any unhealthy/runt trees are removed. The second is selection so that only the straightest trees remain.

After twenty years you have a smaller yield obviously but all trees will be of top price.

The only other alternative I've seen is pine trees, dependant on your areas climate

You are right, this photo is a Teak plantation very near me, about 10 years old, very little is done to it, if anything, trees are not that heathy, cannot see them doing anything, the owner is thinking quantity not quality.

Pine trees as we know will not grow here, too hot, they is a type of pine tree ,ไม้สน Mie Sorn, they could be grown a good building wood, quick growing. 

RIMG0024.JPG

On 6/22/2023 at 3:56 PM, LukKrueng said:

Seen same in a couple of reports.

My Thai son and his wife have an orchard near Tak, they  planted 75 Rosewood trees about 4 years back. All growing well. Son did some research about how close etc., before planting. Ultimate purpose is funds for his 4 kids.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/23/2023 at 7:38 AM, LukKrueng said:

Good point, but they would have to purchase land and then do all the work from preparing the soil, planting, taking care of the trees till they're ready for harvest. Much bigger investment than outsourcing to farmers.

For many years CP has been doing it with other crops such as corn - they sell you the seeds and then buy the ready produce after it has been dried to specs. Recently they have started doing the complete process by themselves in some areas on leased and purchased land but I'm not sure the big investment they have to put down will be worth it in the first few years.

You're talking about 'upwards integration' (for a pizza shop/chain don't keep buy the chesse every month from a supplier, buy the cheese factory).

I would be surprised if CP hasn't seriously done the calulations.

Naturally grown Aquilaria trees take 5-7 years to produce the Agarwood, it is costly to produce Agarwood when you go toward cultivation.

If you can bear the cost of cultivation, you can produce Agarwood in a shorter period. If you go toward cultivation, you can earn quickly, and your cost will be recovered in a shorter period because there is a huge market for Agarwood in the world and I believe supply is falling.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of water and well spaced. Good growth rate needs sun (crown exposure) and water.

Longan, litchi, avocado many others.

Try koa, if you can get the seeds 

Edited by novacova