Trump allies outraged after McCarthy says ‘I don’t know’ if Trump is strongest 2024 candidate

Social Media

image.png

Advisers and allies to former President Donald Trump are expressing outrage after House Speaker Kevin McCarthy said that he thinks Trump can win in 2024, but does not know if he is the “strongest” candidate.

“I’ve been fielding calls on this since it happened,” one Trump ally told CNN, referring to McCarthy’s comments. “People are not happy. What was he thinking?”

During a CNBC interview Tuesday, McCarthy was pressed on Trump’s 2024 prospects and the multi-faceted legal issues facing the former president. “Can he win that election? Yeah he can,” McCarthy said. “The question is, is he the strongest to win the election – I don’t know that answer.”

McCarthy later attempted to walk back his comments, telling Breitbart that Trump is “stronger today than he was in 2016.”

FULL STORY

image.png

Part of me feels sorry for speaker McCarthy he’s stuck between a rock and a hard spot that beeing said it’s nice to hear even this timid squeak obviously a lot of republicans would like to unload on trump 

• Like 1

I suggest that McCarthy knows the facts but is twisting himself in knots here so to not overly alienate Trump.

A recent NBC poll suggests that Biden still has a 4 point lead over Trump, the same as he did in the 2020 Election.

On the other hand, in a DeSantis and Biden match they are neck in neck.

DeSantis would give the GOP more of a chance of power than the two time loser.

But if DeSantis was to win the GOP nomination, the Democrats would be in a pickle and will need a good contingency plan.

Refreshing breath of honesty from the Speaker. He knows that many other candidates in the GOP field have better odds for the election, and therefore HE has better odds of keeping the Speakership if not-Trump wins the nomination. 

Trump said “People are not happy. What was he thinking?”

but I think punctuation is off: should be: "What? Was he thinking?"

Seems anyone who thinks their own thoughts and expresses own opinion is a traitor in Trump's eyes. Why do Republicans put up with this? If some party boss etc told me not to voice my view, I'd tell him to "take a flying f*** at the moon"

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

I must admit that any honesty from McCarthy is 'refreshing'.

But his walking back 'I don’t know if Trump is strongest 2024 candidate' to 'Trump is stronger today than he was in 2016' is disingenuous and dishonest. 

If this is 'honesty' please explain how Trump was a loser in 2020, in the 2022 mid-term and is polled to do the same in 2024?

This 180 degree neck whiplash is reminiscent of his Jan 6th Insurrection rhetoric from :

'They’re trying to f—— kill me' to supporting that it was a ' normal tourist visit'.

OH, I agree. He was taking just a few baby steps and trying very hard to cover his ass, just in case Trump wins the nomination.  But from small seeds do mighty trees grow.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

OH, I agree. He was taking just a few baby steps and trying very hard to cover his ass, just in case Trump wins the nomination.  But from small seeds do mighty trees grow.

Wow thanks, must be first time you have agreed with me, seems now you might be part of a mighty forest.

74 % the country is on the wrong track.

I'm looking for more detail on how this poll was framed, but having trouble finding it.

What makes up "a wrong track"?

It is possible to infer a polarized interpretation of this. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Trump allies need to get over themselves and their irrational worship of an extremely flawed criminally corrupt Florida man. 

He may indeed be the "strongest" to be nominated by the party that he took over but in the general he is the BIGGEST LOSER.

Biden wins just based on people voting AGAINST Trump.

Are republicans so stupid as to nominate that loser again? You betcha.

No. Nominate Trump. Please. He won't have a chance in the general.

Just now, gargamon said:

No. Nominate Trump. Please. He won't have a chance in the general.

A risky proposition.

Assuming he loses AGAIN, there is zero doubt he will claim he won, and then there is zero doubt he will incite violence AGAIN. This time with nothing to lose and the alternative to not taking power being prison, he would be desperate and his cult followers would be desperate too. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Refreshing breath of honesty from the Speaker. He knows that many other candidates in the GOP field have better odds for the election, and therefore HE has better odds of keeping the Speakership if not-Trump wins the nomination. 

He only needs one MAGA objection from the Republican side of the house to call a vote.

The GOP have bound themselves to Trump, forgetting perhaps that everything he touches dies.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, LosLobo said:

Wow thanks, must be first time you have agreed with me, seems now you might be part of a mighty forest.

Wouldnt get your hopes up yet!

There are some Democrats that I could stomach for President against some Republicans, but Biden is not one of them.  

It is a strange election cycle when both parties do not like the candidates that seem to have the inside track on getting nominated. 

4 hours ago, Berkshire said:

While you're probably right about DeSantis/Trump against Biden, one huge wildcard is often overlooked.  Trump.  If Trump were to lose the GOP nomination, does anyone actually believe that he's going to go away quietly?  He'll be blasting DeSantis with both barrels....nonstop.  Funny to say, but Trump will be Biden's secret weapon for the general election. 

I think it will depend on how the investigations and trials will evolve. If he is convinced he needs a pardon, he will become DeSantis best friend.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, candide said:

I think it will depend on how the investigations and trials will evolve. If he is convinced he needs a pardon, he will become DeSantis best friend.

5555.....yeah right.  Trump is not that strategic.  He hasn't forgiven DeSantis for even running, let alone beating him.  But if Biden were to win and Trump gets convicted, he might just praise Biden for being the greatest and kindest POTUS in history.

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

5555.....yeah right.  Trump is not that strategic.  He hasn't forgiven DeSantis for even running, let alone beating him.  But if Biden were to win and Trump gets convicted, he might just praise Biden for being the greatest and kindest POTUS in history.

He may not be that strategic, but he's a coward. 

3 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

Trump allies outraged after hearing the truth. Is this surprising to anyone? Nope.

Of course it is "surprising", to the MEGA idiots!

But obviously not surprising to those with an ounce of common sense!  The only surprise to me is that it has taken so long for some of the senior members of his failing party to realize the damage he is doing them!

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well that didn’t last long lol ???? not surprised tho the only way imo the republicans can save themselves is to reject in mass trumpisum and get back to their old small government balanced budget mantra not going to happen tho