The pharmacist will see you now: Has Thailand found cure for hospital overcrowding?

webfact

Simply put, medical services for free is not sustainable anyway you look at it as sooner than later it will give way under the pressure, what to do? good question, until not long ago, Australia used to provide medical services for free, not anymore, now you have to chip in if you want to see the doc, and unless you're a pensioner you will be out of pocket for a consultation and meds.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bignok said:

Why take drugs for things diet can fix?

No no there is no lifestyle fix....eat your mcdonalds, don't think too much and eat your pills.

If you talk about lifestyle change, eating healthy, doing exercise you are labeled right wing....

(/sarcasm)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Too many Thais I know go to the hospital for basically nothing.  A simple cold or headache go to emergency.  

Westerners go for flus. Why? Vitamins and rest is what fixes flus.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

And will the pharmacist also insist on BP and weight measurements be taken and expensively  charged for?

It is free at the local state hospital I use.

If I am only going to top up my meds, my wife takes me after lunch (I don't drive any more) when most of the crowd has gone. 

I get put in a wheelchair, my hospital card is taken for registration and the reason for the visit, a nurse comes to me to take my BP, I tell her my weight and get parked near a fan and simply wait my turn.

The doctors fee is 50 baht and the meds are NOT that expensive.

• Like 2

The answer is partly in the tremendous complicated and incompetent bureaucracy. Identify yourself upon arrival at the hospital and get a barcoded wristband which creates/accesses medical history as well as what is needed this time round. At the end, see the cashier, get the (overpriced) medicine if applicable and on departure your wristband is cut off and destroyed. 
If you see all those endless photocopies (don't forget to use blue ink for verification signature) and tons of files being driven around from A to D, back to C and onto F just to end with B (where it actually should have ended two hours ago) ......... 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I also have to go to my local Homo Sapiens Maintenance and Repair Centre to see my drug dealer, who then sells me a further four months supply which controls blood pressure etc. Once a year I have a blood and pee and diabetes check, and everything has been stable for years. Seeing the doctor to get my new supply is a waste of her time and mine and I've told my wife what an inefficient system it is. She says it's the Thai way and I reply yes, that's the problem. Maybe now things are changing. Thailand often does catch up with the outside world, eventually.

One thing I learned over the years is to not do it the Thai way and turn up at dawn and wait with the multitude for hours. I go after lunch when there is hardly anyone left in the queue. Fortunately, the locals haven't got the common sense to not all turn up at once, and long may it remain that way.

• Like 2