Chronic Acid Reflux.

NONG CHOK

Hi there,  I did drink a lot be beer and never really took care of my diet in my younger years. Now I'm 80 years old, reduced my weight by 20 kg's and still walk 90 minutes daily. Over the last 5 years I've developed chronic acid reflux. I'm very careful what I eat and reduced my beer intake to a few every day. I've been to several hospitals and many doctors but I've never improved. I take Omeprazole 20mg daily with no success. Any suggestion of any other treatment or OTC medicine. Thanks.

11 minutes ago, NONG CHOK said:

reduced my weight by 20 kg's

The issue is not how much weight you have lost, but whether you are now at an acceptable weight. You should aim to be straight down the middle of the BMI chart. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Gaccha said:

The issue is not how much weight you have lost, but whether you are now at an acceptable weight. You should aim to be straight down the middle of the BMI chart. 

This. I used to suffer from chronic reflux for many years until I got told I had symptoms of insulin resistance by a GP. I changed my diet (including reducing beer to 3 or 4 a month, usually on the same day) and lost some weight but it wasn't until I hit the middle of the BMI and lost more weight that reflux symptoms finally disappeared. Exercise helped too.

• Thumbs Up 2

I too suffer badly from GERD

When it was bad a few weeks ago I saw a GI doctor at Chiang Mai Ram and he prescribed me Gasmotin twice a day before meals , breakfast and dinner, and Vociniti 10mg ( Vonoprazan) once a day before breakfast.

My symptoms have significantly  improved, if I do get a flare a gulp of  White Rabbit anti acid drink, but that's hardly occurred since I started taking the medication.

I was having trouble EVERY morning before

Good luck  GERD sucks 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Skip the beer for a few days and see if it makes a difference.

In stead of taking medicine you can grind a few raw potatoes in the blender

and add some water if it is not liquid enough,take a few sips every hour and see if this works for you.

20 minutes ago, Felton Jarvis said:

Miracid works for me. I struggle with acid reflux, especially when I eat anything spicy.

Over the years I’ve found myself taking more & more beers of my drinking list as they seem to cause bad reflux the next day (San Miguel Lights is probably the worse but just recently Singha has been causing me grief).

Generally, Miracid (1 tablet in the morning) works for me but I keep a box of Gaviston Tablets (find they work better than the pouches) handy in case it flares up. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I found that white bread was the worst thing to eat for promoting acid reflux.

Not for me, and I eat lots, food intolerance maybe?

In the past i took 20mg Omeprazole, didn't do anything noticeable. 40mg now we're talking, symptoms (gastritis) went away after a while, Dr in UK agreed to up dose to 40. Diet is the major reason so change that.

I don't need omeprazole any more but good for short time

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not for me, and I eat lots, food intolerance maybe?

In the past i took 20mg Omeprazole, didn't do anything noticeable. 40mg now we're talking, symptoms (gastritis) went away after a while, Dr in UK agreed to up dose to 40. Diet is the major reason so change that.

I don't need omeprazole any more but good for short time

I don't have any food intolerance or allergies. I only know that when I used to suffer from chronic acid reflux, white bread usually triggered it more than anything else. I just thought that little anecdote might help the OP track down the triggers for his chronic reflux.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Is it everyday, daily, or day & night, or just when trying to sleep.

If just when trying to sleep, it could be a hiatal hernia, which I have, and found when scoped.  Ask if wanting it fixed, and seems to be an easy fix, though I did give it a pass, as just knowing it's there, is easy enough to work around it.

For this with an occasion upset stomach, simple fix, 1 - 2 tsp or tbsp of baking soda, mixed with warm water, and you'll burp away your discomfort.  Inexpensive & works better & quicker than anything else ... IMHO

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Trentham said:

A year later I changed my doctor and he sent me for a scan - pancreatic cancer. I have had a partial pancreatectomy and splenectomy and am still here 13 years later and no reflux since. I too am 80 in another 2 weeks. PLEASE get scanned.

Thanks for posting, as that's one cancer that scares the hell of me.  Couple friends were not so lucky after diagnosis

• Thumbs Up 1

Omeprazole is about as much use a boobs on a fish.

Try Lansoprazole/Prevacid@15mg 30 minutes before your last meal of the day 6:30to7:00pm, BUT do not DRINK alcohol after this!

The recommended time is before breakfast but this I find is wrong in that the reflux usually occurs at night. If 15mg doesn't work then move up to 30mg.

Tomatoes, cucumber and other acidic veg and fruits are your worst enemy.

Keep a bottle of the attached by the bed, it works wonders.

P_20230710_142124.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There’s a lot of good advice given here.

As a previous sufferer I would echo most of the advice from those experienced advisors!

If your reflux is a symptom then you need to have it diagnosed. Just like headaches, a symptom, but there are 100 causes! So if you know the causative factor then you can get the appropriate treatment.

if you only want to treat the symptom then you got all the necessary information.

I used gaviscon and tried different beers, nothing worked so I quit alcohol and only have Heineken 0% whenever I fancy it.

Some Foods also bothered me, some breads, pizzas, meat etc. So I went vegetarian. 
No further problems.

My last meal is early evening, 5ish.

Now after spicy food I might have some plant based milk.

Different things will work for different people, depends on your values and beliefs to some extent. Old habits are hard to break but I decided that I didn’t want to be a slave to alcohol! And I think of how better I feel without it. That’s after several decades of loving it, 50+. Cheers!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2023 at 1:13 PM, NONG CHOK said:

Hi there,  I did drink a lot be beer and never really took care of my diet in my younger years. Now I'm 80 years old, reduced my weight by 20 kg's and still walk 90 minutes daily. Over the last 5 years I've developed chronic acid reflux. I'm very careful what I eat and reduced my beer intake to a few every day. I've been to several hospitals and many doctors but I've never improved. I take Omeprazole 20mg daily with no success. Any suggestion of any other treatment or OTC medicine. Thanks.

I have been prescribed Omeprazole also, but it was not always effective. I think in part because my gall bladder is removed. I happened on an article suggesting sleep on your left side to minimize GERD, due to the configure of our digestive system. Seems to work, though a bit tough to change sleep position after so many years. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2023 at 1:13 PM, NONG CHOK said:

Open Youtube and search for a video.
Dr Sten Ekberg,, RE: Acid reflux

• Thanks 1