Vices needed in life

bignok

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

Or you can spend your retirement in Thailand 24 hrs a day on a public discussion board

While eating chocolate and having ice-cream while drinking alcohol.

Some might call that multi-tasking.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, bignok said:

Does life get boring if you give up things like chocolate, ice cream and alcohol?

Or can you live a plain life and be happy?

I don't think boring, but certainly less happy.  Once certain things are established in your "diet" I think you quickly adapt to a new "base-level" and without it you are less happy.  Once your brain knows what can cause it to release dopamine, it craves that thing.  It is literally happiness.

Regardless of any effort at a healthy lifestyle, I have been unable to ever completely quit chocolate or cola.

Also, I think it is natural in us to seek out new experiences and explore new places.

Research suggests that wanting to change our mental states is very normal.  And, of course, we like sugary, salty and fatty foods by default.  https://nypost.com/2023/03/14/this-is-what-bored-apes-do-to-catch-a-buzz-new-study/

Edited by BangkokReady

19 hours ago, bignok said:

Me too. I stop drinking 3 weeks. No ice cream then I think whats left? Not much to have fun with. TV is boring. I read some books but a plain life is what monks do and they go off the rails even with training.

are you trolling?

there are plenty of interesting films and TV shows out there.

but you are suggesting that eating ice cream is a more worthy ambition for most adults than watching engaging cinema? 

then again, this is an internet forum after all where anyone can spew any nonsense. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

are you trolling?

there are plenty of interesting films and TV shows out there.

but you are suggesting that eating ice cream is a more worthy ambition for most adults than watching a good film? 

then again, this is an internet forum after all where anyone can spew any nonsense. 

Tv shows and films are just repeats of the past. Nothing new. Movies are mostly for kids.

• Confused 1

Black Adder, Mr Bean, Seinfeld good shows.

Nothing good since then.

Clint Eastwood made some good films 15-20 years ago.

Can't think of anything for years.

1970 to 2010 was the golden era for tv, music and film. Nothing of note since. All been done.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, bignok said:

Me too. I stop drinking 3 weeks. No ice cream then I think whats left? Not much to have fun with. TV is boring. I read some books but a plain life is what monks do and they go off the rails even with training.

Get a dog and walk it . Treat it good , it will love you and helps you make contacts , too ...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, bignok said:

Black Adder, Mr Bean, Seinfeld good shows.

Nothing good since then.

Clint Eastwood made some good films 15-20 years ago.

Can't think of anything for years.

1970 to 2010 was the golden era for tv, music and film. Nothing of note since. All been done.

Westworld = ++ , or Everything , everywhere , all at once = ++,

https://shopee.co.th/Bluray-หนังใหม่-เสียงไทยมาสเตอร์-Everything-Everywhere-All-at-Once-ซือเจ๊

ทะลุมัลติเวิร์ส-i.506975330.18004468076

https://shopee.co.th/แผ่นบลูเรย์-หนังใหม่-Westworld-Season-2-(2018)-เวสต์เวิลด์-ปี-2-(10-ตอนจบ)-(เสียง-Eng-ไทย-ซับ-Eng-ไทย)-บลูเรย์หนัง-i.572551262.22619606388

• Sad 2

20 hours ago, bignok said:

Does life get boring if you give up things like chocolate, ice cream and alcohol?

Get back when I'm dead, as haven't a clue.  But I ain't givin' up chocolate or ice cream.  Need my pastries & bread also.  Pretty much my only vices.

Alcohol is rare already, past 15 yrs.  Actually have 4 beers left, from the last slab, and honestly can't see myself buying another, as takes me too long to drink them.

Thankfully never took up smoking cigs.

My biggest vice ... I got to get out of here.  I need my O&As, and out now for couple weeks.  As much as I love where I live, and house is designed by us, I just got to get out and see something different.

Happy Indulgence

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Get back when I'm dead, as haven't a clue.  But I ain't givin' up chocolate or ice cream.  Need my pastries & bread also.  Pretty much my only vices.

Alcohol is rare already, past 15 yrs.  Actually have 4 beers left, from the last slab, and honestly can't see myself buying another, as takes me too long to drink them.

Thankfully never took up smoking cigs.

Happy Indulgence

Im with you. 

20 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Coffee

Good steak

Red wine

Of the three, which would be the hardest to give up.... 

For me, steak. Given up coffee and red wine already as it so happens, but eat a good steak at least once a week!

Don't give up chocolate, just acquire the taste for high-cocoa like 85%+ (I generally have 95%+).

It has health benefits without the sugar.

Ice cream... Hardly ever have anyway...

Alcohol - a biggie for me... Moderation is the target.  Abstinence is difficult.  But I know people who manage it through other 'medicinal' alternatives! ????????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bignok said:

Tv shows and films are just repeats of the past. Nothing new. Movies are mostly for kids.

Plenty of amazing shows to discover... Last year I found Boston Legal... Truly great smart funny and entertaining show.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, bignok said:

Have you ever tried to find one or two friends???? Or a hobby????

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Everyone gets bored at some time or other, you just do something about it.

I just live my life on balanced basis as I get older you get to know your limitations.

I have 3 month check ups at the local hospital clinic to keep a eye on my health which is reassuring.

I don't like to get being overweight so I try keep to my height weight and still eat what I like now and again but less of it.

I drink beer in moderation every day because I like it and don't drink spirits.

I have my hobbies to and do some maintenance on our farmland and the house, so basically it's just a case of keeping yourself busy.

I'm busy now drinking Leo, after a morning of ebike build. Tis leading me to more LEO.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, carlyai said:

I'm busy now drinking Leo, after a morning of ebike build. Tis leading me to more LEO.

My Thai friend has a chopper type E bike and has put extras on, he borrows tools from me and buys me a Chang. ????

After nearly 3 years his battery needed replacing and something to do with the drive cog whatever needed replacing at not that much cost, so all good now.

received_802160648244440.thumb.jpeg.c1206db172fb91e8fb6c9c32fe83c846.jpeg

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1