Nationwide Milk Shortage

jcowle

On 7/20/2023 at 1:51 PM, BritManToo said:

My misses says other countries are refusing to sell milk to Thailand until they sort out the election, Prayut and his cronies.

Doesn't sound likely to me but apparently it's on the Thai news.

What other countries?? Malasia is the only country that could sell milk to Thailand, but they have they own market. nothing to do with the election, fake news.

Milk is one fresh food that is not easy to transport a long way in bulk, unless it is UHT milk, and I will drink Chinese tea before I put UHT milk in my tea.

As I said yesterday, Thai dairy farmers are giving up no money in feed prices too high to make any money so a shortage of fresh milk, and they debt burden, the problem will not get any better, cows are not taps it will take a long time to get back to former production, if ever. 

11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
  On 7/20/2023 at 10:32 AM, digbeth said:

it looks like government price control makes it not profitable to sell the plain milk at the regular price, 

not how the expensive options like lactose free and barista formula are available normally

They is no government price control, I know someone post a quote from somewhere saying they was, it is the milk companies that dictate the price, they pay the milk center's/co-ops that sends their raw milk to them, and it is that  milk centers /co-ops that pay the local farmers.

Thai dairy farmers have no on farm cooling for milk so milk is picked up from their farm twice a day taken to a local center for cooling and storage, then it is sent to the processing company's ,each milk center/co-op has a contract to supply raw milk to a company. 

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

Not our Lotus or any of three 7-11s near us, been to Lotus this evening, coolers are stocked up.

They must have just gotten deliveries. I went to a half dozen 7/11's during the week before I found some Dutch whole milk Friday afternoon.

9 hours ago, kickstart said:

What other countries?? Malasia is the only country that could sell milk to Thailand, but they have they own market. nothing to do with the election, fake news.

40% of Thai milk comes from NZ, another 11% from OZ.

Don't believe any milk comes from Malasia.

12 hours ago, kickstart said:
12 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:
  On 7/20/2023 at 10:32 AM, digbeth said:

it looks like government price control makes it not profitable to sell the plain milk at the regular price, 

not how the expensive options like lactose free and barista formula are available normally

Expand  

They is no government price control, I know someone post a quote from somewhere saying they was, it is the milk companies that dictate the price, they pay the milk center's/co-ops that sends their raw milk to them, and it is that  milk centers /co-ops that pay the local farmers.

Thai dairy farmers have no on farm cooling for milk so milk is picked up from their farm twice a day taken to a local center for cooling and storage, then it is sent to the processing company's ,each milk center/co-op has a contract to supply raw milk to a company

Why did you misquote that as being my comment?  I did not post that.

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Don't believe any milk comes from Malasia.

That is BS no milk comes from Malasia I just said  if Thailand dose not have enough where would it come from??? ,milk powder comes from Aus and NZ, no milk comes from they, have you ever seen milk with "made in Aus or NZ" in the shops ,answer, no .

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, kickstart said:

That is BS no milk comes from Malasia I just said  if Thailand dose not have enough where would it come from??? ,milk powder comes from Aus and NZ, no milk comes from they, have you ever seen milk with "made in Aus or NZ" in the shops ,answer, no .

I've seen lots of milk labelled 'made from real milk', which means made from powder that was once milk.

Much of the milk on sale in Thailand is made from milk power, Foremost and Dutch Mill being two examples.

Meiji appears to be fresh milk.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've seen lots of milk labelled 'made from real milk', which means made from powder that was once milk.

Much of the milk on sale in Thailand is made from milk power, Foremost and Dutch Mill being two examples.

I have a container of Dutch Mill Selected full fat milk in my fridge right now. The label says it's 100% pasteurized cow's milk. Their website also says their Selected brand milk is 100% pure cow's milk and it is pasteurized.

You don't need to pasteurize powdered milk, so that, along with the fact that their site says they operate 764 dairy farms and 18 raw milk centers in Thailand, would seem to suggest that their product is fresh, locally-produced milk.

Dutchmill Group

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I have a container of Dutch Mill Selected full fat milk in my fridge right now. The label says it's 100% pasteurized cow's milk. Their website also says their Selected brand milk is 100% pure cow's milk and it is pasteurized.

You don't need to pasteurize powdered milk, so that, along with the fact that their site says they operate 764 dairy farms and 18 raw milk centers in Thailand, would seem to suggest that their product is fresh, locally-produced milk.

Dutchmill Group

Can you foam it in an expresso machine? If not it's made from powder.

Never seen any coffee shop using Dutch Mill or Foremost because it doesn't foam.

51 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Dutchmill Group

Tastes off to me. All of it.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Can you foam it in an expresso machine? If not it's made from powder.

Never seen any coffee shop using Dutch Mill or Foremost because it doesn't foam.

Yes, you can foam it - I've often done so. I've also driven past one of their farms and seen the dairy cows in the fields.

This picture is from their website but it matches exactly what I saw when I drove past it.

Screenshot_2023_0722_141449.png

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

On 7/20/2023 at 10:22 AM, DavisH said:

Thai-denmark is real milk. Puse some imported brands. 

I've never seen Thai- Danish fresh milk - only UHT (although it does taste better than other brands of UHT). Their yoghurt is "gurt lush", to use a West Country dairy farming phrase!

Meiji, for me, is the best of the fresh brands.

12 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Meiji, for me, is the best of the fresh brands.

I got mine today.  At 7-11 must be fresh from the creamery expires next month.

Just had some with my freshly ground hot coffee so delicious and fresh.

Yummy.

20230722_171417.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Hi Britmantoo. Where did you get that info from? The Dairy Global article that bbko posted a link to?

If so, I think you have misunderstood what you read.  

The article does not say that 40% of Thai milk comes from NZ, another 11% from OZ. It says that: 

"The top 3 leading exporters of dairy products to Thailand are New Zealand (40.6% market share), Australia (11.1%), and the US (6.6%). New Zealand and Australia together make up about 50% of Thailand’s dairy imports and have free trade agreements with Thailand."

So, of all the dairy products Thailand imports, 40% comes from New Zealand and 11% comes from Australia, So, 40% and 11% of dairy products imported into Thailand, not of all Thai milk.

It does not say what percentage that is of all milk in Thailand. It could be any figure, maybe even zero.

Also, the article says "dairy products", not milk. I have seen a lot of New Zealand cheese for sale in Thailand but I have never seen New Zealand or Australian milk. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So you think drinking TB bacteria contaminated fresh milk is a good and healthy thing?

"Bovine tuberculosis, caused by Mycobacterium bovis (M. bovis), is a globally distributed chronic disease of animals. The bacteria can be transmitted to humans via the consumption of unpasteurised (raw) milk, thus representing an important public health risk."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1472979222000038

Fear your food!

I drink raw milk (and have for the past 50 years) and haven't caught TB yet.

I'm guessing it isn't a problem unless you're chronically sick.

• Thumbs Up 1

Health risks from Bovine Tuberculosis (TB)

Can I drink raw milk from the bulk tank?

Cattle may be infected with bovine TB in the udder. This is a serious disease risk if milk is unpasteurised. The Department recommends that you don’t drink unpasteurised raw milk. Bovine TB could be present in your herd but you will not know unless signs are found at routine slaughter or at a TB test.

What if I sell unpasteurised milk?

If your herd has a TB breakdown (ie reactors found at a TB test or an animal with lesions at routine slaughter), you will not be allowed to continue to sell your own unpasteurised milk or unpasteurised milk products (such as cream, yoghurt, cheese, etc) for human consumption, until your herd is derestricted."

Northern Ireland Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs

https://www.daera-ni.gov.uk/articles/health-risks-bovine-tuberculosis-tb

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You love BS, yes, they is powdered milk in Thailand, that is made into your flavored milk, all the rest is fresh milk, most say pasteurized milk on the bottle that is fresh milk that is posturized.

Talking to some dairy farmers today it seems that abut 30% of them have given up, just uneconomical, so in that light, the market is down 30% in fresh milk, which seems about right with shops being shot of milk. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 8:24 PM, BugJackBaron said:

Goat milk is  far easier on the digestion for many people and no shortage yet.

I am the butler to four dogs. They are partial to a little milky drink of goat milk at bedtime. I buy it occasionally for them as a treat.

Expensive though, only seen it in UHT cartons on 7/11. Pack of 3x200 mil cartons some B75. One carton shared between 4 dogs.

12 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Shall I tell you about my rabbit who had a taste for cheese toasties?

7/11 were out of cheese so I gave him a ham one instead.

Next day he was really sick. The vet said there was nothing she could do for him; mixingmytoasties is invariably fatal!

The old one's are the best????

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, asf6 said:

Hi Britmantoo. Where did you get that info from? The Dairy Global article that bbko posted a link to?

If so, I think you have misunderstood what you read.  

The article does not say that 40% of Thai milk comes from NZ, another 11% from OZ. It says that: 

"The top 3 leading exporters of dairy products to Thailand are New Zealand (40.6% market share), Australia (11.1%), and the US (6.6%). New Zealand and Australia together make up about 50% of Thailand’s dairy imports and have free trade agreements with Thailand."

So, of all the dairy products Thailand imports, 40% comes from New Zealand and 11% comes from Australia, So, 40% and 11% of dairy products imported into Thailand, not of all Thai milk.

It does not say what percentage that is of all milk in Thailand. It could be any figure, maybe even zero.

Also, the article says "dairy products", not milk. I have seen a lot of New Zealand cheese for sale in Thailand but I have never seen New Zealand or Australian milk. 

Powder form sold as commodity. Maybe baby products.

On 7/21/2023 at 8:30 PM, kickstart said:

nothing to do with the election, fake news.

There is of course a world of difference between someone quoting a conversation with someone who may have got the wrong end of the stick and "fake news".

What, for instance, if I advanced the claim that every cow I had spoken to had assured me that the bovine population were MFP supporters to a man (cow) and were refusing to produce milk in protest, would that be "fake news" or just me being silly (not entirely unknown)!

Skipped most of the replies after firs couple.

7-11 had plenty of Meiji, thin on DutchMill, our preferred brand, but that's nothing new.  DM doesn't seem to get much shelf space, ever.

Bought some to hold me over for brekkie cereal tomorrow, before Makro run.  Always have a box of UHT on hand, Jic.