Pheu Thai to install Srettha as Prime Minister by forming a coalition pact with government parties

webfact

A post with content that was copy and pasted from the Pattaya Mail has been removed:

16. The Bangkok Post, Khaosod, Pattaya Mail and the Phuket News do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on ASEAN NOW. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to the Bangkok Post, Khaosod, Pattaya Mail and the Phuket News publications will be deleted from the forum. These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not by ASEAN NOW. In rare cases, forum administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

6 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

MFP still holds the House Speaker 2nd Deputy chair ....

Will this stand if PTP gets PM slot without MFP?

Interesting question. I think it would because the speaker and deputies were legitimately elected in parliament. Since these are supposed to be neutral positions, there would be no good reason to pressure the MFP deputy to resign, although that might happen.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, bannork said:

Impossible to extend the senators' appointments.

Nothing is impossible.

They will be extended certainly. That is how it works in Thailands demoCRAZY

10 minutes ago, Goat said:

Nothing is impossible.

They will be extended certainly. That is how it works in Thailands demoCRAZY

No it will not be extended. They passed the provisional constitution for senators to only serve one term and can't be re-appointed or re-elected, 

• Like 2

Ok, I’m fairly certain now that @PheuThaiParty is more than willing to ditch

@MFPThailand

if it secures them the path to power. It’s highly risky and unpopular. If it survives that long, 4 years is a long time in Thai politics - but unlike in the past, people won’t forget.

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA/status/1682338376077414400

• Like 1

9 hours ago, damian said:

I hear you Toolong.

This was hatched and sanctioned in the darkened back corridors of gold guilded citadels, negotiated via zoom and various face to face clandistine meetings in foreign countries to be finally initiated at the Leicester football match in the UK at the end of May. 

Tony has two wants: to be part of the elite and to come home. The elite has one; to remain in power. Both have sold their souls to satisfy their greed. For Tony, PT were nothing but a vehicle and are expendable as are the PT minions and his family. For the elite, Tony is the vehicle for them and is also expendable after they get what they want. Part of the deal will be for Tony to retire and stay out of politics when he gets home.

I also hope the progressive media will keep this utterly dispicable travisty alive in exposing these tyrants for what they are. What I fear most though with this unholy alliance, is the installation of strengthened mechanisms to prevent domocrtaic parties from ever governing again. This is where the progressive media plays a vital role and must be vigilant to continually expose the wrong-doing and encourage the populace to step up to block such moves.   

???? ????

All the points you make are, I believe, incontestably true......or at least as likely as likely can get. The dots you join make very sound & simple sense out of an almost infinite number of speculative guesses at exactly why?, who?, how?, when & what's next?, etc..

Recall something someone once said: 'The truth always lies within a narrow and certain compass, but error is immense.'

Tony's almost certainly hustling his way, as we speak, on the fringe or* slap bang in the middle, of that narrow & certain compass. 

But he....and they.... can't hustle through what will inexorably come....and that's the next election (if things are not interrupted & changed by coups of the left or right). If MFP can keep their mojo alive till then......game over. 

* no 'or' really, I was kidding. He's slap banging.....right now. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jonclark said:

Looks like PT is totally going back on its election promises

"Do brothers and sisters want us to join them? Over the past eight years, that’s enough,” Mr Srettha told the crowd in Loei.

“We have made clear that we will not join hands with the two parties that played a role in the military coup to plunder people’s sovereign power.

In the book Animal Farm the last sentence is, "The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which”

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

You think Thais would accept another coup?

Foolishness!

The fact is the junta/elites have used up all their special cards and they have still lost.

It is over.

If Pheu Thai get flushed out as false supporters of democracy, all the better as it makes the voters choices in the next election crystal clear.

You assume the average Thai is a sharp political thinker and can see thru all this.

A junta will come at some point but not now obviously...too early.

In five to ten years and with totally different actors.

• Love It 1

On 7/21/2023 at 6:35 AM, bannork said:

Impossible to extend the senators' appointments. Only Pravin and Prayuth's parties would approve. 

A new constitution can certainly be written requiring the election of senators.

Impossible? When the ruckus gets all a bit too wild whereupon the army steps in and makes their stooge PT government declare a special state of emergency that handily scuttles the plan to seat a new Senate?

BTW, who's writing this new constitution?

Edited by NanLaew
  • Love It 1

On 7/20/2023 at 2:14 PM, HappyExpat57 said:

Is this a case of "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss?"

The Who predicted the whole thing decades ago:

I'll tip my hat to the new Constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again
Don't get fooled again
No, no

Yeah
Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Impossible? When the ruckus gets all a bit too wild whereupon the army steps in and makes their stooge PT government declare a special state of emergency that handily scuttles the plan to seat a new Senate?

BTW, who's writing this new constitution?

A very good question. And when? How will it be adopted? Where are the laws relating to drawing up and implementing a new constitution?

6 hours ago, VinnieK said:

You assume the average Thai is a sharp political thinker and can see thru all this.

A junta will come at some point but not now obviously...too early.

In five to ten years and with totally different actors.

You underestimate the intelligence of the average Thai (and no doubt overestimate your own).

Military coups in Thailand are now confined to the history books.

A junta may attempt to come, but they will not succeed. The institutions that backed the previous coups have been terminally weakened and the minority of common folk supporters they did have, have either died off or have a foot in the grave already.

In five to ten years the obituaries for those responsible for the coups since 2006 will be being written - all will be condemned as villains for eternity.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, bannork said:

Gentlemen, have no fear. There is a beautiful constitution just waiting to be dusted off and used again. A constitution that sparked so much love among the populace at the time that back windows of cars were adorned with its symbol, a green flag.

I speak of the 1997 Constitution.

MPs, bring it back!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_constitution_of_Thailand

Looks just the ticket!

2 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:
2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Citation (badly) needed.

No, only common sense required.

So you won't (can't) name these institutions or explain how they've been "terminally weakened."

That's fine.

With both Bhumjai Thai & Chart Pattana Kla talking with Pheu Thai abt new coalition today, it's basically over for Move Forward. What remains to be seen is how MFP will exit the 8-party coalition & whether they will vote for PTP PM candidate

https://twitter.com/PravitR/status/1682693168775692288

On 7/21/2023 at 6:29 AM, Kiwiken said:

Should they choose this move it will be the end Of Pheu Thai and most likely lead to a landslide victory for Move Forward in the next election. You can dam the flow but eventually it laps over the top. The tide in Thailand is turning and the Ruling elites need to accept change is coming

Maybe they'll lose some support but they've backed the military before over promises to the victims of shooting by the army because it suited Thaksin's agenda. I doubt it'll make a huge difference, at least not for some time. Many will have forgotten by the next election. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrMojoRisin said:

There is about 112 reasons why much can’t be said.

Again, an ounce of knowledge about Thailand and a bit of common sense is all that is needed.

Any foreigner who has lived in Thailand for a considerable time and is close to Thai people will understand what Jim is saying.

The belief in 'good people' has dissipated amongst the young and educated. This is partly due to the rise of social media and the dissemination of material that used to be unavailable to the masses, 

as well as the ending of an era that many Thais could not conceive ending.