Mid-air drama: Unruly passenger instigates chaos on Thai Airways flight to Frankfurt

webfact

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Was that after they boarded the flight or when booking their ticket?

Usually when booking the ticket.

Qatar air does the same for priority or premium seats unless you are a Gold member, then its free for aisle and legroom seats.

I have witnessed many problems on board with Qatari/ Arab guests, who board the plane and don't pay for priority seats and then the wives just try to move fare paying passengers around so that they can sit with their husbands and kids.

This causes stress to cabin crew and distress to other passengers who must sit and listen to the arguments of these people trying to force their own way but don't want to pay the fees.

The guy should be banned from Thai Airways and any alliance group of flight partners that THAI is a member of.

Flying is stressful enough, we don't need clowns like this making it worse.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:
7 hours ago, ezzra said:

On some flights air marshals wouldn't be a bad idea.

Agreed, but I think only US Carriers have them? I might be wrong?

Several airlines/countries have them, many don't comment whether they do or do not, so it's safe bet that there are many.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

drawing attention from a visibly alarmed Kitiphong, sitting eight rows behind.

dramatized writing by the author obviously ,  why would she be alarmed when she's eight rows back ...?     but good job they grabbed him in Frankfurt 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

El Al Israel Airlines carry them for sure!

5 hours ago, JackGats said:

Israeli carriers too. Armed and in civvies. More for terrorism prevention though.

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

El Al Israel has them

Why don't people read forums/threads before (re)posting something that has already been posted?

• Like 1

Well he couldn’t have been that much of a threat if he wasn’t restrained to his seat.  Just leaving him alone. And the cockpit door was secured as a precaution?  The cockpit door is supposed to be secured when airborne.  Unless that doesn’t pertain in Thailand. 

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Sometimes one must just shake their head in disbelief. Of all places to not misbehave, it is aboard a flight, in this day and age. You are just asking for major problems. I guess this just comes down to a total lack of self discipline on the part of this moron.

I am sure we have all seen them on long haul flights out of Bangkok, drinking all night before the flight, finishing their last beers as the flight is called...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I am sure we have all seen them on long haul flights out of Bangkok, drinking all night before the flight, finishing their last beers as the flight is called...

That can be a worry when you realise he is the pilot.????????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

dramatized writing by the author obviously ,  why would she be alarmed when she's eight rows back ...?     but good job they grabbed him in Frankfurt 

She was alarmed BIG time but not by what was happening eight rows ahead.

She thought the bloke sitting next to her was you. The G & T's being guzzled by the bloke made her very nervous.????????

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

US flying is a bit different.

I recall boarding a domestic flight in Houston to fly to xxx (forget).

I was one of the first to board however the flight attendants were already yelling at the passengers, including aggressively yelling "You have to do as you are instructed by the cabin crew."

The reality was that boarding was all happening calmly, quickly and the passengers all cooperating with each other, correctly putting bags into the overhead lockers etc., and cooperating with the crew. 

But they should have had an air marshall at the check-in desk, the mid aged check-in lady was without any reason very abusive, even insulting to all the folks checking-in and getting boarding passes.

I had the same experience with Thai Airways.  In midair they behaved even worse.  They were very aggressive. 

That was before covid.  Everyone tells me that their service and their attitude have deteriorated a lot since covid.  

And their  cattle class has gotten worse and worse over the years.

7 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

If the seat is empty it should be up for grabs.  When you make the booking you are offered the chance to reserve "premium" seat locations.  Fair enough if people want to pay for that.  But those seats are still in economy class, same as reserving an ordinary aisle seat or window seat.  If no takers for paying extra, let people choose to grab them once the doors are shut.  Feel sorry for those who end up in the middle seats.

If the seat is empty people should be free to ask a flight attendant if it is ok to move to it. Otherwise you could have a free-for-all as people fight for a desirable open seat as soon as the Fasten Seatbelt sign goes off.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

She was alarmed BIG time but not by what was happening eight rows ahead.

She thought the bloke sitting next to her was you. The G & T's being guzzled by the bloke made her very nervous.????????

yes,  i did have 1/2 a bottle yesterday and then 5 Chang .....  my head hurts this morning

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

yes,  i did have 1/2 a bottle yesterday and then 5 Chang .....  my head hurts this morning

On Ya Bloke!

The passenger told me it was the 7 empties that gave you away.

Get a hair of the dog into ya.????????

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

If no takers for paying extra, let people choose to grab them once the doors are shut. 

Yes, that would work well!

Stupid comment - a recipe for chaos and sily/severe argument, and expecting the cabin crew to resolve which is totally unfair to the cabin crew.

Customers can't just take things off the shelf in a shop and not pay. You want a product or service you pay for it. 

This is the new "in flight entertainment"????????

• Love It 1

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Disagree.... so you believe all the seats people paid $5000 for should be made available to those who are aboard based on a $500 booking. What absolute nonsense.  People should get what they paid for and no more. 

"People should get what they paid for and no more."

Explains my last bar girl's performance then.????????

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

"People should get what they paid for and no more."

Explains my last bar girl's performance then.????????

You know how it goes, sometimes it is chemistry, sometimes it is because you didn't take her to the market or gold shop before the hotel. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You know how it goes, sometimes it is chemistry, sometimes it is because you didn't take her to the market or gold shop before the hotel. 

Most likely me confusing my ambitions and my abilities these days.????????

• Haha 1

No need for an inflight uproar.

Had that happen once on a flight with a forced upgrade.  Lead FA asked her to move to the seat number on her flight coupon.   She refused and the Lead FA advised her that if she remained in the upgraded seat, she will have accepted the full fair price for the seat and was welcome to all the amenities that the upgrade afforded her.

On arrival in ICN, the passenger was met by ICN airport security and detained until the full seat fare for the upgrade was collected.  As well as forfeited  the non refundable original fare.

Our local manger thanked the passenger for her business and wished her safe travels.  No need to cause an uproar if pax is advised of upgrade fair and seat.   Let security detain them and ground staff work it out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Why don't people read forums/threads before (re)posting something that has already been posted?

To be fair some can be quite long. Not necessarily in this case.

Edited by kimamey
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

If the seat is empty it should be up for grabs.  When you make the booking you are offered the chance to reserve "premium" seat locations.  Fair enough if people want to pay for that.  But those seats are still in economy class, same as reserving an ordinary aisle seat or window seat.  If no takers for paying extra, let people choose to grab them once the doors are shut.  Feel sorry for those who end up in the middle seats.

That’s what I thought. Long haul flights people just switch if there are empty seats around. One flight was nearly empty and people were sleeping in rows.

I would not do it into a premium seat though if it was marked as such and I did not pay for the upgrade. Ditto for going into another section like first class.

• Like 1