Russian Elites Are Transforming Thailand’s Biggest Island as They Become More Unwelcome in the West

webfact

23 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Clever. Maybe they can break the dastardly transport mafia there?

I've seen one small motorbike repair shop run by a Thai man and his wife become a bike rental shop as well with 10 or more bikes and seeing the same foreign man swing by almost daily in a SUV or motorbike for a look around, fronting a business I would guess.......I'm sure there's many more fronted.......

5 minutes ago, Ironmike said:

I've heard it's actually Chinese that are building that project but wouldn't be surprised if its Russian 

I dont know for sure but if you drive to the kids water park you have to go right inside there is some fancy office block there which would be right behind that project, the water park is all Russian and a load of villas there, there is a infant/junior school and a language school, I took my little grand daughter there one day and it was all quiet at first until they let the kids out for diner time my grand daughter couldn't play no more it was all Russian kids and there is a restaurant down there where it seems like all the school kids get their diner 

20 hours ago, Grahamlil said:

Everywhere i have been on vacation which has included Russians has been awful, they are miserable, greedy & suck the atmosphere out of the place  

I think it’s their lack of interaction with others as well. Seems like they don’t talk or look at others in any way. Try talking to a Russian and see what happens.

On 7/28/2023 at 9:14 AM, Hamus Yaigh said:
On 7/28/2023 at 8:35 AM, webfact said:

thanks to Vladimir Putin’s war in Ukraine, they’re finding a friendly welcome in Thailand, Bloomberg reported on Thursday.

The true face of Thailand. An utter disgrace.

The "true face" of every country, i.e.  most countries, that permit tourists in, that includes your own!

• Confused 1

Elites?

please, must be a bad joke. somebody stuck into late 90s.: russian mafia, russian corrupt gov. officials, oligarchs, Putin's cronies and other characters from B-rated movies.

stereotyping and dehumanizing. back to the cold war.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Those young Russian people in their 20's and 30's are mostly children of corrupt government officials with lots of money in their pockets. Money laundering in Thailand!

T's lot of kids here with parents from Government then.

On 7/28/2023 at 3:34 AM, KhunLA said:

Can someone explain to me how you can tell they are Russian, or any nationality unless in conversation with them.

We were on Phuket this year, and I saw/met one couple.  Only knew they was Russian, as the Aussie at the pool asked him where he was from.  

Although, with that observation, I can honestly say, more than 33% of the int'l tourist I met on Phuket were Russian.

Talked with 1 Iranian, 1 Aussie couple, and 1 Russian couple.

Since I'm an expat, wife/Thai, we don't count as int'l tourist.

So I can honestly say Phuket is being overrun with Iranians, Aussies & Russians ????

You can tell Russians a mile off...head like a fridge, belly hanging out the bottom of their 2 size too small food stained t shirt and a 6' stunning blond hanging off their arm ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Rickster said:

You can tell Russians a mile off...head like a fridge, belly hanging out the bottom of their 2 size too small food stained t shirt and a 6' stunning blond hanging off their arm ????

Nyet

Complete opposite of the one I met recently on Phuket, young, fit, w/brunette GF/wife.  If he hadn't said from RU, I would have never guessed.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Nyet

Complete opposite of the one I met recently on Phuket, young, fit, w/brunette GF/wife.  I he hadn't said from RU, I would have never guessed.

you should go to wine connection in Nai Harn in the evening it's full of them 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Nyet

Complete opposite of the one I met recently on Phuket, young, fit, w/brunette GF/wife.  If he hadn't said from RU, I would have never guessed.

There is always an exception to the rule ????

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, JAFO said:

I have always said, NEVER move and live in a tourist destination.  Best to live away and visit when you want.  Phuket, Pattaya and Samui are awful places to spend any time nowadays.

That would depend where you actually live at those location.  They're far from small.  All the silliness happens at the beaches.

I live in a 'Thai' tourist area, get the weekenders and occasional tour buses.  But I don't live where they are visiting.

Had a friend with a house on Kamala for years, and he never went to the beaches where the tourist were.

All is avoidable, without much effort.  Most people don't venture further than their '15 minute' city anywhere, the majority of the week.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/28/2023 at 8:35 AM, webfact said:

thanks to Vladimir Putin’s war in Ukraine, they’re finding a friendly welcome in Thailand,

what a compliment for this baby killer.  Russians who come live here with money stolen in the war inUkraine...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/28/2023 at 1:36 AM, bbko said:

It cracks me up when I read about foreigners in Thailand complaining about an influx of other foreigners.

How can one be xenophobic when they/we are foreigners in a foreign land? 5555

If you call yourself "ex-pat" instead of "immigrant" you don't have to think of yourself as one of those dirty foreigners. ????

On 7/27/2023 at 8:19 PM, steven100 said:

imagine what the place will be like in 1-2 yrs from now .... It'll be a dump ..... a little Moscow.

It'll put tourists off going there.   

Obviously you don't have a clue what you're talking about because Moscow is one of the most well ordered metropolises in the world.  

A few russians in pattaya have been asking for money. 

Lol at someone expecting me to believe that. 

Edited by Harsh Jones
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2