Have you had a hard life?

5 hours ago, Stocky said:
6 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

He said "mate ,I have had a hard life "

12 years in jail !

8 kids to 8 different mothers !

Construction Labor work ,drinking ,smoking !

All self inflicted, I feel sorry for the poor little b*******ds he's fathered.

Potentially self-inflicted, but he didn't explain all the things that led to all these mistakes.  The chance that he had two loving and supportive parents, along with living in a reasonably well-off area, with all his emotional and physical needs met, while not impossible, is unlikely.

7 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Potentially self-inflicted, but he didn't explain all the things that led to all these mistakes.  The chance that he had two loving and supportive parents, along with living in a reasonably well-off area, with all his emotional and physical needs met, while not impossible, is unlikely.

Good call Clint.

• Thanks 1

Well just had a personal message from a guy on here saying he was a police officer for 25 years in Belfast Northern Ireland

and worked mostly every weekend night shift ,now I don't know about you but 25 years of  putting up with drunks particularly Irish drunks every Saturday night wouldn't be fun

,now that would of been a hard life !

Anyone can beat that job for a hard life ?

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Anyone can beat that job for a hard life ?

I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our Mother would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

Full script here: https://www.flashlyrics.com/lyrics/monty-python/four-yorkshiremen-29

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

What about those who did shift work?

One week day ,one week night ,one week afternoon like a nurse or a police , how would they make you age or workl like a carpet layer ,

There were tough times and events in my life, but even though I worked very long hours years ago, I would never say I had 'a hard life because of work'... Work you can always stop, but other things happening to you perhaps not.

11 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

What about you ?

Has life been easy or hard 

.did you have a hard manual job ?

Jail? Divorce? Gambling? Recession? 

What about those who did shift work?

One week day ,one week night ,one week afternoon like a nurse or a police , how would they make you age or workl like a carpet layer ,

My life was only made “hard” by very low pay. I was very late in getting a college degree, took me ten years working full time and I finally got a degree in my forties. I went ahead and got a Master’s Degree because I thought I might want to teach. I didn’t make decent money until the final 11 years of my working life when I worked for a public radio station, owned by a university. This actually funded my retirement. I had a sociopath boss for the final six years, who forced me to retire a year early. I bought my ticket to Thailand and was living here within a month after my 65th birthday. Many regrets, but it’s all water under the bridge. I certainly managed to avoid hard labor and marriage.

• Love It 1

Hard compared to what? Compared to someone in Sobibor I had a blessed life, but compared to someone born to a wealthy family that loved them and a trust fund my life was/ is <deleted>.

My life was mostly rather boring interspersed with incidents of love/ love betrayed and wondrous adventures in exotic lands.

Overall, I'd say it was an interesting life with occasional bad bits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I worked that hard that I still have to sleep now it is 06:23 but luckily it is more in phases during projects. I sometimes also barely work 4 hours a day for 4-5 days a week. Not sure for retirement or the age, doing nothing is boring anyway and I am just in 30s now.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, save the frogs said:

Agree, unless your job is total crap. 

I wish Thailand would allow retirees to work / easily open small businesses etc ...

I want to keep active. 

Strangely you say that , I got into a grab a few weeks ago in Pattaya to hear a Thai guy with a Aussie accent 

He was Thai dual citizen in Pattaya for 6 weeks with his older Aussie boyfriend ,they were from Melbourne 

He said he needed to get out of the hotel away from him sometimes so decided to drive grab on his holiday 

Obviously he has Thai citizenship though but found it a miracle to get a Thai Aussie to drive me 

It depends on what one calls a hard life.

I've never been in jail. Not even close. Never was addicted to anything, gave up smoking 40 years ago.

I worked hard, enjoyed what I did, saved my money. The last time I owed any money was 1974.

OTOH, I got screwed over financially and emotionally in two long term relationships in Australia.

I only have to look at most of the Thais I know, to realize they have had a much harder life than me. So have many who post on ASEAN.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I get a lot of mental health benefit from living here, surrounded by guys my age who are NOT currently having a hard life at all.

On the contrary, for reasons both wise and misguided, they are usually the happiest they've ever been.

It's rare that anyone wants to talk much about the before-time at all. Thailand is like the old French Foreign Legion, where ne'er do wells would sod off to, to "forget".

Edited by LaosLover

The easy life is easy throughout the world with few exceptions and there lies the problem.  We  dream of relaxing and enjoying our life more as we get older but many just fall into a rut of despair that worsens every decade.  They medicate with booze and other meds to smooth the transition into a dull existence.  Sitting at a bar at 4pm relaxing with friends sounds nice until it defines who you are and becomes a boring routine that is regretfully accepted. 

Many ways to let the easy life morph into a pathetic existence.  It is extremely tempting to take the easy road and personally I have to diligently add hard challenges on a daily basis to be happy. Maybe I'm mentally unstable but I bet most are the same.   If I start letting life pass me by while relaxing with a beer or whatever it always ends poorly.  I don't know - life is confusing...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

How did he get in Thailand 12 years in jail ? 8 different moms -he's trash.   Hard life is what my mom and dad had growing up in the Depression and WW2 (that generation had a hard life) .The rest of us have had it easy.

That would depend on the charge, how long ago, is there a record, and or was it expunged.

I've had felony charges/conviction expunged.   Actually, I've had every arrest/conviction expunged, and I think just the 1 was a felony.  Carrying a concealed weapon without a permit (for that state), as PA, USA permit/license to carry isn't recognized in FL, USA.

Lets say for instance it was a drug charge,  Many of those in the USA, were auto expunged when the law changed.  Remember Trump doing something, that freed many for their charges, and appropriate as the law was quite racially bias.  Forget the specifics, but I believer cleared a lot of records.

You use to get 10 yrs for a joint in Texas, now it might be legal or just a minor misdemeanor.  

Anyone can partition the court/state (USA) to expunge a record, neither hard nor expensive, crime dependent.  Especially if being a good little boy since.

Edited by KhunLA

18 hours ago, swissie said:

Inevitably, a select group of Farang moral Apostels came along, looking down on those "Pattaya girls". Doubtful, if those moral Apostels have ever experienced true poverty.

By "looking down on them" do you mean: buying them drinks, giving them tips, buying them gifts, marrying them, buying them a car, taking care of their family, building them a house,  and allowing themselves -naively - to be fleeced of everything by the cunning of the poor village girl?

18 hours ago, swissie said:

Doubtful, if those moral Apostels have ever experienced true poverty.

I dunno.

My dad is a boomer. He grew up in a family with 9 siblings in (what was once) a slum area with no indoor toilets.

He didn't even have long trousers til he was 12 (living in a bitterly cold part of Europe).

Surely that's harder than a lot of Isaan people's lives, no?

Don't most boomers know poverty? The economy was not that great in the West back in those days, nor was sanitation, infrastructure, healthcare etc. etc.

Christ, my mate lost almost all his siblings to Diphtheria, like 6 of them. Boomers know hard times.

A sick buffalo ain't the greatest hardship.

Edited by FruitPudding