Voting for next PM to go ahead with growing turmoil likely to end with General Prawit as PM

webfact

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I believe they will.

After all, PT was formed by Thaksin, for Thaksin. If that is the best deal on the table, they will take it. 

Maybe. But it's not an easy deal as I think it will cost PT dearly. It would have the potential to be the start of their end and go the way of the Democrats. We'll see how this soap opera plays out soon enough I guess.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The potential rejection of Mr Srettha Thavisin in the coming vote on his nomination in parliament will hand the initiative over to Mr Anutin and ultimately the Prime Minister’s chair to General Prawit Wongsuwan.

That would be a total disgrace and a disaster for the country. Things are already looking bad enough as they are, but if The Watchman gets the job, this country is doomed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Sorry I have to disagree. The start of their demise has already occured when they withdrew from the MFP coalition. Further to this they went from that to BJT. Now they are in bed with the military. Their demise is well under way. They are traitors to their support base and will be punished.

I agree that PT already made some clearly very unpopular moves as evidenced by some voters burning their ensignas. Was it enough to spell their end? I wouldn't dare to tell. But they are definitely going to reach that point eventually the more stunts they pull that go against what their voters want. Definitely putting the future of the party on the line here, I think that everyone can agree on that.

29 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I'd agree. It would be the equivalent of a boxer cashing out as he accepts his decline at the end of a decent career. Taking an inevitable loss for a final pay cheque and a more comfortable retirement.

Given that Thaksin isn't getting any younger he might conclude that this is his only card in terms of getting back to Thailand. It would almost certainly spell the end of PT though, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing since a lot of their voters would probably go to whatever MFP reforms as, consolidating the anti Junta vote.

Yea I think you have a good point. Maybe Thaksin saw MFP anyways taking over a lot of their old role in Thai politics. So why not cash out what's left. And with that he'll accelerate the transition. It does make sense from that point of view.

• Like 1

One can only hope that the stout, Jabba the Hutt-esque watchman meets a timely political end - an ironic, fittingly analogous conflate to his penchant.

Namely, held by a strong clasp, his inner dealings opened up and jewels exposed, sparsly lubricated and given a full expert servicing, employing sufficient amplitude until set to everyone's satisfaction, afterall - I doubt anyone of his stature would be up for sloppy seconds now, would they ?

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Sorry I have to disagree. The start of their demise has already occured when they withdrew from the MFP coalition. Further to this they went from that to BJT. Now they are in bed with the military. Their demise is well under way. They are traitors to their support base and will be punished.

I hope you're right but they've sided with the military before abs not suffered that much. It does seem as if some are beginning to see the truth so maybe there's hope.

2 hours ago, sidneybear said:

Excellent news. Thailand will remain conservative and keep its traditions and culture intact.

To those here who were telling me that this time was somehow different, and that the western backed lefties would rule: You were all wrong, and I'm laughing at you now.

Im not popping the champaign at the demise of the western backed parties losing just yet. It is still too early for that. There's still some work to do to out maneuver them.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Why? business isn't woke, business, like Prawit, cares about money. I can't imagine anyone in Europe getting hot under the collar about corruption in Asia and the Americans have their own corrupt contender to worry about.

Major exporters and importers... there's many choices /options. 

If business with Thai companies doesn't bring the desired financial returns (either direction) there's plenty of other countries / companies that can bring the desired returns. 

Have a look how Indonesia is developing (sure they have corruption problems, what counry doesn't) but  looking good. 

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I believe they will.

After all, PT was formed by Thaksin, for Thaksin. If that is the best deal on the table, they will take it. 

Absolutely, Thaksin doesn't care about democracy or broken election promises.

The thing is, can he trust the deal makers? Undoubtedly there will be lots of conditions regarding  'parole'. Any transgressions, real or perceived could see immediate recall.

Plus he has many enemies in Thailand.

Better to keep singing karaoke abroad.

47 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

Im not popping the champaign at the demise of the western backed parties losing just yet. It is still too early for that. There's still some work to do to out maneuver them.

Agreed that complacency is dangerous, but in the past getting rid of these parties has generally been done incrementally. The powers that be never give up, and always think of new and interesting ways to protect the status quo from these leftie "progressives".

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, 1duckyboy said:

"General Prawit has had a distinguished career in both the military and government and may end up uniquely positioned to be elected as PM at this time"

Saw this coming when Pita couldn't get elected PM. "distinguished" is not what I would call Prawit's career. 

I saw this coming way before the May 14 election

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The only way to prevent Prawit and Anutin becoming PM is in the hands of MFP. While understanding their reasons to vote against the new coalition, they play a very important role to "switch off' the senates votes and render their votes redundant. PTP coalition seem to have secured 315 votes and need 61 votes to attain the 376 threshold for their PM nomination to win. MFP can give them the much needed votes to have the votes secured in the lower house. Have to be seen whether they will stick to their principle and not vote for PTP coalition or they will relent to prevent the Prawit or Anutin from gaining power. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

Choices, choices!  How can Thais bear this disgrace?

To speak up comes at great personal cost ranging from threats against oneself and family through to incarceration (let’s not forget bodies have been found in the Mekong).

It takes a mass movement to effect change.

Be patient, the finale is not that far off.

• Thumbs Up 1

Could it be that a BJT/PP coalition with support from the senate might be the best option for Thailand?

A minority Government would not last very long. A no confidence vote does not include the senate. Another election, followed by an MFP landslide, especially as the senate's PM voting power finishes next May and all would fall into place as if should have this time round.

Perhaps I'm just fantasising as the so-called elites will find a way to retain power whatever.

2 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Could it be that a BJT/PP coalition with support from the senate might be the best option for Thailand?

A minority Government would not last very long. A no confidence vote does not include the senate. Another election, followed by an MFP landslide, especially as the senate's PM voting power finishes next May and all would fall into place as if should have this time round.

Perhaps I'm just fantasising as the so-called elites will find a way to retain power whatever.

Thaksin ( PT) needs Pravit in the government for him to come home so PT must be in the government too

. To maintain Thaksins liberty,  I'm sure  (PT) will continue to kowtow to Pravit and the establishment.

PT will become the new populist conservatives, hoping to keep the working class happy with various schemes. They will need 4 years for this so I expect the next government to try to run the full course if Toni come home.

If he doesn't, then wrangling between the greedy factions will spell doom for them I believe.

. Bhumjaithai are already arguing with PT over ministries they want to retain!

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

The only way to prevent Prawit and Anutin becoming PM is in the hands of MFP. While understanding their reasons to vote against the new coalition, they play a very important role to "switch off' the senates votes and render their votes redundant. PTP coalition seem to have secured 315 votes and need 61 votes to attain the 376 threshold for their PM nomination to win. MFP can give them the much needed votes to have the votes secured in the lower house. Have to be seen whether they will stick to their principle and not vote for PTP coalition or they will relent to prevent the Prawit or Anutin from gaining power. 

Agree.  I don't think MF should sit on the sidelines, marginalized and powerless.  MF should be in the thick of things and vote for the PT candidate for PM--then see what the other PT coalition members do--that will be a much more entertaining vote, if nothing else.  A PT prime minister is better than one of the junta dinosaurs back in power yet again.  The enemy of my enemy is my friend.  Baby steps forward, about all we can hope for at this point.

• Like 1

I called it on May 7:

If the Thai population doesn't have the guts to fight this upcoming injustice tooth and nail by becoming martyrs of The Revolution, then I have no sympathy anymore for them and they deserve every ounce of bad luck that, by the Grace of Our Good Lord, will befall them.

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Agree.  I don't think MF should sit on the sidelines, marginalized and powerless.  MF should be in the thick of things and vote for the PT candidate for PM--then see what the other PT coalition members do--that will be a much more entertaining vote, if nothing else.  A PT prime minister is better than one of the junta dinosaurs back in power yet again.  The enemy of my enemy is my friend.  Baby steps forward, about all we can hope for at this point.

I hope that MFP recognize that should the military clique of Prawit & Anutin become the government, they have the power to amend the laws to entrench the traditionalists further in power for the next election. Pheu Thai succumbing to a kind of centrist conservatism to be the government is lesser of the evil than the old power clique.