Chinese Rolls-Royce Owner Demands Compensation from Pickup Truck Driver

webfact

1 hour ago, Ben Zioner said:

I agree totally. But that's what insurances are for. If this happend anywhere in [Continental] Europe, the insurances would take care of it. If too many RRs get rear ended, he cost of these claims will get mutualized in the forthcoming year's premiums. Of course people will have to take out a full third party insurance, but most do.

Insurance and accident claims not the same here surely you know unless you get 1st class and many Thais can't afford 1st class or don't want to pay for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It would be interesting to see here information about the legal situation.

Many of us have an insurance. But all insurances have limits. And in Thailand the limits are not high.

If a poor person with a (government) insured vehicle crashes into something expensive, what will happen? The poor person won't be able to pay the full repair cost because the person is poor.

But what would happen is i.e. a farang dollar millionaire rides on a properly insured motorcycle and crashes into such car? After the insurance pays the little money which it will pay, does the rich person have to pay all the rest from his own money?

It would be great to read a legal answer about this - and not lots of speculations as usual. 

The best thing is to steer clear of expensive cars, the insurance will pay what's agreed in your policy if not enough it ends up court and the court decides how much you pay.

B.I.L. in my family pays 400 baht a month towards an accident years ago.

As long as he pays something it keeps him out of prison as far as I understand the situation.

If I could afford a Roller I would like to think the repairs are not a problem and claim on my insurance or pay the lot myself.

Certainly wouldn't bother going after the guy who hit me I'd leave that for the insurance to deal with thats what ya pay for surely.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

If I could afford a Roller I would like to think the repairs are not a problem and claim on my insurance or pay the lot myself.

Certainly wouldn't bother going after the guy who hit me I'd leave that for the insurance to deal with thats what ya pay for surely.

Really?

Let's say you own a Porsche or a big Ducati, do you also think then you should be able to just pay yourself if someone else damages your car or bike?

Where is the line of "normal" cars and bike where people who damage them should pay them, and when are people considered rich you can afford this or that car or bike? 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

14 minutes ago, transam said:

You agree that folk shouldn't own expensive cars, is that because you could never afford one.......................????

In the UK, you cannot drive on the road without proper insurance, you cannot road tax your car without proper insurance.

But, in LOS you can, all you need is the gov third party injury insurance, if you have a damage prang, you pay for it..........????

UK has  basic TP insurance only as well.

9 hours ago, ukrules said:

Well that escalated quickly, how much third party insurance cover does he have?

I often wondered what would happen if I was to accidentally write off one of those supercars with normal first class insurance on my run of the mill Toyota and the accident was my fault.

What does your policy say in regards the 3rd part property liability ?

Mine is capped at 5mill on the daily hack.

image.png.66c1e35db97a71075aacd317d9fcded8.png

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Really?

Let's say you own a Porsche or a big Ducati, do you also think then you should be able to just pay yourself if someone else damages your car or bike?

Where is the line of "normal" cars and bike where people who damage them should pay them, and when are people considered rich you can afford this or that car or bike? 

I don't understand what your on about the west doesn't compare much to Thailand as you must know, if you own a Porsche or a Roller in Thailand you would cover it fully comprehensive because most people know that there's many a Thais that do not have insurance or enough cover the cover the cost of repairs as in this thread to the vehicle on their insurance to pay if it's their fault. 

Example on a small scale what happened to me was kids hit my truck with parent owed old wave bike and I paid 4000 bht to get my truck fixed.

Their parents offered to pay it back monthly at 100 a month, I said forget it. ????

46 minutes ago, transam said:

You agree that folk shouldn't own expensive cars, is that because you could never afford one.......................????

Nope, I can't afford a RR. But if I could I'd still  drive an SUV, maybe some Tesla or a Mazda instead of my Hondas. I have neved been fascinated by cars, some people would say I should, as I can use 52 mm condoms, but only if I have to.

Edited by Ben Zioner

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I don't understand what your on about the west doesn't compare much to Thailand as you must know, if you own a Porsche or a Roller in Thailand you would cover it fully comprehensive because most people know that there's many a Thais that do not have insurance or enough cover the cover the cost of repairs as in this thread to the vehicle on their insurance to pay if it's their fault. 

Example on a small scale what happened to me was kids hit my truck with parent owed old wave bike and I paid 4000 bht to get my truck fixed.

Their parents offered to pay it back monthly at 100 a month, I said forget it. ????

I would like to know the legal situation.

I have an idea about reality in Thailand. But I also understand that if person A damages property of person B, then normally A has to pay. Or maybe A's insurance pays.

If it's clear rich and poor and all Thai then likely all will go according to normal procedure.

But let's say if I would crash with my insured bike into an expensive car. Am I liable to pay everything with the money which I saved for my retirement? 

What's the legal situation?

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm calling BS on that. Apart from the rear lights IMO any panel shop could repair the bumper with a bit of bog and a good paint job.

She has the right to have the car restored to it's original condition.

I bet the pickup driver uses his brake more and phone less these days .

Or not. (most likely)

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Nope, I can't afford a RR. But if I could I'd still  drive an SUV, maybe some Tesla or a Mazda instead of my Hondas. I have neved been fascinated by cars, some people would say I should, as I can use 52 mm condoms, but only if I have to.

I thought you might...................:coffee1:

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, ukrules said:

Well that escalated quickly, how much third party insurance cover does he have?

I often wondered what would happen if I was to accidentally write off one of those supercars with normal first class insurance on my run of the mill Toyota and the accident was my fault.

No insurance, no licence, and no assets, lives in a rented 2K5 room.  Poor little Chinese rich girl is screwed.  Never get 1 baht back from Somchai.  And if sue, she will get a periodic payment verdict of something like 1K per month.  Somchai will make the first two or three payments then stop.  Then back to court two of three times.  Then Somchai will go to jail.  Then no payments.  At best she will recover 4 or 5K baht, less the 50-100K she has spent on her lawyer.  

No win situation.  That is why I drive an very old car here and although I have the means would, never, ever, buy a new vehicle to drive on Thai roads.

On another note, is it really possible to buy a Rolls just by opening a couple of restaurants in Patts and BKK.  In true Thai fashion of turning the victim into the bad guy, I would not be suprised if the next story that emerges out of this situation is the RTP investigating the Chinese woman and her associates and discovering that they are up to no good and so Somchai does not have to pay any money to fix the Roller.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

34 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I would like to know the legal situation.

I have an idea about reality in Thailand. But I also understand that if person A damages property of person B, then normally A has to pay. Or maybe A's insurance pays.

If it's clear rich and poor and all Thai then likely all will go according to normal procedure.

But let's say if I would crash with my insured bike into an expensive car. Am I liable to pay everything with the money which I saved for my retirement? 

What's the legal situation?

Well the Law is what is reasonable in Thailand as well much the same as the west but I would say more tolerant.

Some western would have doubts that said I would say and like to think you may well be treated just as fair by a Thai Judge as they would a Thai person.

Like I said Thai B.I.L. in my family couldn't pay and the insurance company got him summons to court and was sentenced to pay so much a month by the Judge.

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm calling BS on that. Apart from the rear lights IMO any panel shop could repair the bumper with a bit of bog and a good paint job.

Why should she take a cowboy job on her car? Hope she sticks to her guns and makes him pay every satang. I hate this "Oh but your rich" he drove without care and attention like 90% of Thai's and foreigners who copy them with sentiments like "drive like a Thai"..... I made the Thai insurance of the drunk pay for a new door rather than patchit with filler that will crack eventually as you see everywhere in Thailand...

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

No insurance, no licence, and no assets, lives in a rented 2K5 room.  Poor little Chinese rich girl is screwed.  Never get 1 baht back from Somchai.  And if sue, she will get a periodic payment verdict of something like 1K per month.  Somchai will make the first two or three payments then stop.  Then back to court two of three times.  Then Somchai will go to jail.  Then no payments.  At best she will recover 4 or 5K baht, less the 50-100K she has spent on her lawyer.  

No win situation.  That is why I drive an very old car here and although I have the means would, never, ever, buy a new vehicle to drive on Thai roads.

On another note, is it really possible to buy a Rolls just by opening a couple of restaurants in Patts and BKK.  In true Thai fashion of turning the victim into the bad guy, I would not be suprised if the next story that emerges out of this situation is the RTP investigating the Chinese woman and her associates and discovering that they are up to no good and so Somchai does not have to pay any money to fix the Roller.

Didn't read about truck driver not have anything.

Was it not his truck.

Just now, BritScot said:

Why should she take a cowboy job on her car? Hope she sticks to her guns and makes him pay every satang. I hate this "Oh but your rich" he drove without care and attention like 90% of Thai's and foreigners who copy them with sentiments like "drive like a Thai"..... I made the Thai insurance of the drunk pay for a new door rather than patchit with filler that will crack eventually as you see everywhere in Thailand...

I'm interested as to how you "made" them put a new door on, and how you know it was a new door and not one off a crashed vehicle.

3 hours ago, stratocaster said:

It must be creating a bit of controversy as there was a 15 minute segment on Thai news yesterday. The roller does not look too badly damaged hence only the 1.3 million baht estimate. A poultice of bondo and a quick blow over with a rattle can and the job's a good un. But the pickup. Holly molly. Would be a write off in any other country. This is the problem when you crash into the equivalent of a brick outhouse.

But all the correct parts to repair the Rolls Royce Ghost (starting price is 32.7 million thb) will have to be imported and the customs duty on that will be high. When you add on the labour costs, plus the cost of a respray, at one of the very few RR dealers in Thailand the costs will be extortionate.

IMHO her insurance company (and the owner) will not accept any cheap repair.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, retarius said:

My policy only covers 1 million baht per accident....so in this case I'd have to fork out the extra 300K....not so bad! But imagine of you wrote the Rolls off, my wife told me it cost 33 milion baht...so I'd only owe 32 million. 

In that case swear blind that she reversed into you.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

IMHO her insurance company (and the owner) will not accept any cheap repair.

If he can't pay, what then? Pay it herself and get 1000 baht a month for her lifetime from him? Putting him in jail doesn't pay for repairs.

If she doesn't have her own insurance I have zero sympathy for her, as accidents are a common occurrence anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It should not matter what nationality he driver was, or what car she was driving.  If she was hit frim behind, (rear-ended) it was not her fault.  The driver following should have been able to stop if she did.  So why should he not be responsible to repairs o her car  If it is a Rolls Royce, she is entitled to have it repaired by Official RR agent and not be required to take it to any local Sombat bodger.  It is an expensive car and she is entitled to have it properly repaired with RR parts.

If the Thai driver was not insured, that is his fault, nobody told him to drive un-insured, he will have to take the consequences.  if he has to sell his vehicle to pay his bills, ha is one un-insured vehicle off the roads.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 12:19 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Really?

I see two issues at play here. 

Firstly - as Trans mentioned, everyone on the road 'should' be insured and if they aren't its their own fault if the incur costs. 

That said, this issue isn't as black and white as some of us want to make out.

Extremely expensive cars are extremely expensive to fix - Should 'our insurance' premiums be higher because a someone else wants to drive extremely expensive cars and there is a risk that we could be at fault in an accident with such an expensive vehicle ??

So... I think there is a 'line' here...  not an emotional line where we argue if John can afford a Rolls Royce he can afford to pay for it himself...  but one where insurance picks up the 'additional' cost beyond what may be considered on road normal costs - that 'normal' line is perhaps already set. 

Then of course, if driving a roller or range rover etc and I've been careful, why should my premiums go up because someone else was careless ????

This line exists to a lesser degree for the rest of us too...    Why should we be out of pocket at all if someone idiot on his uninsured motorcycle or uninsured pickup drive into the back of us ???

If some tool rides into my car - I need to rent another while my existing car is being fixed...  Why should I pay anything for someone else's fault ??

• Like 2

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It would be interesting to see here information about the legal situation.

Many of us have an insurance. But all insurances have limits. And in Thailand the limits are not high.

If a poor person with a (government) insured vehicle crashes into something expensive, what will happen? The poor person won't be able to pay the full repair cost because the person is poor.

But what would happen is i.e. a farang dollar millionaire rides on a properly insured motorcycle and crashes into such car? After the insurance pays the little money which it will pay, does the rich person have to pay all the rest from his own money?

It would be great to read a legal answer about this - and not lots of speculations as usual. 

I have class 2 on my scooter, with all the expensive cars around a little tap in traffic could get very expensive. I forget the cover I get but for 3k a year it gives me piece of mind.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Big Bert said:

I have class 2 on my scooter, with all the expensive cars around a little tap in traffic could get very expensive. I forget the cover I get but for 3k a year it gives me piece of mind.

So, it seems you think for 3k premium a year your insurance would pay for the repair of any luxury car. Really? 

I know it's not your fault. But with the premiums in Thailand the insurance companies won't be able to pay damages of expensive cars. 

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

So, it seems you think for 3k premium a year your insurance would pay for the repair of any luxury car. Really? 

I know it's not your fault. But with the premiums in Thailand the insurance companies won't be able to pay damages of expensive cars. 

No, but I gives me a lot more cover than the standard 20k on government insurance. Also I would not expect huge amounts of damage off the scoot, not the same a rear ending with a pickup at over 80km/h.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2023 at 2:30 PM, OneMoreFarang said:
On 8/17/2023 at 2:14 PM, Big Bert said:

I have a motorcycle and car... 

I think I only have the basic level of cover on my motorcycle (Por-ror-bor), so assume that IF at fault my insurance covers me up to xxx amount (I'm not sure how much) and the 'other parties' insurance covers the remainder, its then up to them IF the insurance of the 'other party' wants to come after me. 

As you indicated earlier, it could get messy and it would be nice to know exactly where we stand legally.

I had an expensive car in the past, when a taxi driver reversed into me in a car-park he didn't have insurance, I was in a good mood and told him to scarper and just claimed on my own insurance (I think the damages were about 300,000 baht - my premiums went up by about 30,000 baht so I was a out of pocket for something that was 100% not my fault.

Now... IF my car was a 25 million Bentley or Rolls.... and someone else damaged the vehicle I wouldn't be too please if my premiums went up by a few 100,000 baht... (and yes, for an expensive car the premiums are very expensive - a Thai friend with a 10 year old Ferarri pays about 400,000 baht per year for 1st Class insurance). 

IF a drunk in a pickup rode into the back of his vehicle... his insurance can pay for the damage, but why should his premium go up to 500,000 baht the following year ?

• Like 2