What is the tipping practice in Thailand ?

observer90210

53 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I always tip my barber 100 baht, the cut is 300 baht to the shop.

She's cute and always goes above and beyond.

What is 'above & beyond' in a haircutting situation? 

My barber is Bht 60, and I always give him 60, and a thank you. Same as his Thai customers do.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I do not know the nationality of the OP, but this is usually a question asked by US citizens. Until recently, being European, I have always been confused why Americans always are so worried about how much to tip. I was shocked to find out that in the US, the tip is actually a significant part of the staff income for restaurants in the US, which is completely different from how we do it in Europe. In Europe, you get a proper salary, protected by unions and the law. No need for a tip, although it is always welcome.

Here in Thailand I don't sit around trying to calculate percentages, just give some of what is left as change, like 20 - 40 baht, or for bigger occasions a 50 - 100 baht. For a roadside stall, no tip is expected. For maids and handymen no tip is expected, but I usually give the handymen something they can repair and use or sell, like an old aircon unit or a broken spinbike/treadmill.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2023 at 6:12 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Op are you American? Thailand isn't America, forget what you do back there, don't be preoccupied by tipping

It’s not about being preoccupied, it’s about doing the decent thing and helping people who are most likely not as well off as you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/19/2023 at 6:37 PM, Jingthing said:

Round up or nothing for cheap meal.

20 baht per person for a modest meal.

30 to 50 baht per person for an expensive meal.

Forget percentages. You're not in Kansas anymore.

If service charge has been added, then it gets tricky as often the restaurant just takes that money.

Spot on.

I usually... 

- Round-up in restaurants/bars & add a little more if it came to say 590 or take a little back if it came to 510 - usually 50-60b, but a maximum 100b & minimum of 40b irrespective of cost of meal (+ coins). 

- 100b for massage irrespective of 1/2, 1 or 2 hours (NB. I don't like massages so this is what the GF tips)  

- 40-50b PD for Hotel Cleaners/porters who carry the bag to the room

- 100b to Barber (whether the cut costs 150b or 350b)

- 200b to Airport Taxi Driver (Nam/Cherry/Meow etc...), 100b for meter taxi. 

- 30-40b (+ coins) to a Bolt driver, more if the journey is long or lots of traffic. 

There are the odd exceptions like a great Bolt Driver who realised the restaurant we had booked the taxi to had moved so took us to the new location & many drivers who have waited for us when I just need to pop in somewhere & then go on to a different destination. 

And the Bolt driver we had the other day who refused to enter into the Condo grounds & drop us at our block, Fare was 97b & I'd already handed the GF 140b to give to him but after a brief discussion where he insisted the ride was booked to the condo gate & no further, I got 43b back, she wouldn't even leave him the 3b. 

Best laugh was he picked us up a couple of days later & went the extra mile to drop us off at Marriott Courtyard even though we couldn't find it on Bolt so had booked to the Phingpha condo across the road so maybe he learned his lesson (he got a 40b tip).

Edited by Mike Teavee

3 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

No it doesn't and you are putting western values on it. Over here you are forgotten as soon as you walk out the door.

Tipping was not an expected thing and WAS brought here by the Americans. Let's not go down the American values system about ' they are working their way through college and blah blah ' this is not the USA.

Nor is tipping common in Vietnam or Cambodia and certainly not in Singapore and it's insulting in Japan.

If it makes you feel better, then do it, however it is not the norm. You also now, because of these ' imported traits '  may have noticed all of a sudden, the not so subtle boxes, in the back of taxis announcing ' tips ' and appearing at reception areas in hotels and even bars. We have moved from ' gratuitous to expected '

They've jumped on to something and the natural state of progression is then to pull faces at the person behind their back when they don't give or live up to expected tipping practices for what can be at times, poor service.

Whether it’s the norm or not is irrelevant, it’s absolutely right to tip for good service and it will always be appreciated. Those who are so vehemently against tipping are just too stingy.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

What is 'above & beyond' in a haircutting situation? 

My barber is Bht 60, and I always give him 60, and a thank you. Same as his Thai customers do.

Would it kill you to give 80 baht? Just because you haven’t seen a Thai person give a tip doesn’t mean some don’t. Just another attempt at justifying stinginess IMO

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, AlQaholic said:

I do not know the nationality of the OP, but this is usually a question asked by US citizens. Until recently, being European, I have always been confused why Americans always are so worried about how much to tip. I was shocked to find out that in the US, the tip is actually a significant part of the staff income for restaurants in the US, which is completely different from how we do it in Europe. In Europe, you get a proper salary, protected by unions and the law. No need for a tip, although it is always welcome.

Here in Thailand I don't sit around trying to calculate percentages, just give some of what is left as change, like 20 - 40 baht, or for bigger occasions a 50 - 100 baht. For a roadside stall, no tip is expected. For maids and handymen no tip is expected, but I usually give the handymen something they can repair and use or sell, like an old aircon unit or a broken spinbike/treadmill.

A blanket Europeans don’t tip is utter nonsense on a continent of 500 million people.

I always used to have a roll of 20 Baht notes for tips and taxis. I always used to bear in mind that waiting staff get paid very little, and if most customers leave a 20-40 Baht tip that adds up to quite a bit extra for them. (I would never put a tip on plastic because I wouldn't trust a business owner to pass it on).

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/19/2023 at 5:18 PM, JAFO said:

Just a comment

Always check the receipt.  If there is a service charge applied, they already built in the tip.  Look closely.

If not, tips are at the customers discretion based on service, food quality provided etc. I never ever tip a flat % rate.  Never have.  Tips are "earned" in my opinion, not just a hand me out. 

Thanks for posting. I am noticing more "service charges" included on the bill. Eating at small Thai places, I leave 20 baht for each of us eating as a tip. But then I have been here over a decade and think on the Thai economy not as a tourist.

45 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Whether it’s the norm or not is irrelevant, it’s absolutely right to tip for good service and it will always be appreciated. Those who are so vehemently against tipping are just too stingy.

An old (tight) friend once commented that tipping was difficult in Cambodia due to their lack of coinage. I did explain that a 100 Riel note is worth about 4 US cents. If I had 2,000-5,000 Riel left at the end of my trip I would give it to the airport tuk tuk driver as a tip.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

'We're not in Kansas anymore Toto.'

Percentages considered appropriate as a tip in one country doesn't necessarily translate as appropriate in another.

'Up to you' as we say here. Tip what you like. 

I used to tip 20 or 40 Baht. My check-bins were seldom more than 500 Baht, and that was often with something to eat as well as beer.