Expat Allegiance?

NickyLouie

Culturally, many here would bear allegiance to their "home" country. Once all western countries start taxing for citizenship (rather than residence), will they still hold that alegiance? Quite a few wealthy US citizens, who also hold 2nd country passports are renouncing US citizenship. Will Brits, Aussies and Europeans do same if taxation on citizenship comes to pass (and they can access 2nd passport)?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

Culturally, many here would bear allegiance to their "home" country. Once all western countries start taxing for citizenship (rather than residence), will they still hold that alegiance? Quite a few wealthy US citizens, who also hold 2nd country passports are renouncing US citizenship. Will Brits, Aussies and Europeans do same if taxation on citizenship comes to pass (and they can access 2nd passport)?

In UK it exists now, even if you live in Thailand all year round and only have a Thai address and are classed as "Normally Resident" in Thailand, all income generated in the UK (includes pensions) are subject to UK taxes.

Know a few who hold both Irish (Eire) and UK passports and have done for years, don't know if UK or EU taxes are more beneficial to them.

On 8/21/2023 at 7:27 AM, LaosLover said:

America has zero allegiance to me and the feeling is mutual.

Would I feel allegiance to other Americans over here?

No. And that goes double if they are Trump Trash.

I very rarely hear someone from the USA call the United States “America”.

Are you really a US citizen?

• Confused 3
  • Haha 2

On 8/20/2023 at 2:27 PM, LaosLover said:

So if tomorrow the USA said...We have zero allegiance to those who live in xxx & we are stopping any SS payments to those ex-patriots..... you would be fine with that right ????

PS; I am not claiming allegiance to any country but I do accept the fact they do offer both patriots & ex-patriots alike many benefits

Edited by mania
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mania said:

We have zero allegiance to those who live in xxx & we are stopping any SS payments to those ex-patriots..... you would be fine with that right ????

I paid in, I should get paid out. That don't take no legal great mind to suss out.

Can I just pretend to deeply feel this corn ball, b/s allegiance that you pretend to care about and then just laugh out loud when they turn their back, after I get the money?

Because I would love that. And so, apparently, would you.

What are these supposed benefits? Our embassies won't do hardly anything for us, ever. Medicare is not transferable over here. I guess if I need Marines to save me......well, iffy at best.

Edited by LaosLover

I have allegiance to the ideals that are at the core of the US---which is a work-in-progress toward total equality under the law. I have some pride---despite not choosing my place of birth---that the concept of every human being having equal value under the law originated, in practice, in the US. Yes, the Founders borrowed it from Locke and Rousseau, but the first place it was put into practice was the US. The Founders could have chosen the Magna Carta as the foundation document, but instead took the free ride, that monarchs get under the MC, and put everyone on the same footing (again, a work-in-progress). That is why the idea of 'special simply by being born', as countries with monarchies have, is anathema to me. When people have to pretend some monarch is great, when all evidence says they're somewhere between mediocre and deviant, something is quite wrong (I'm not insinuating anyone in particular, but historically there's been many deviants, from kings to queens to even popes. The Borgias are the quintessential example.)

Sadly, not only does work-in-progress require 250+ years, a certain percentage of Americans have lost sight of what US ideals are, and instead have joined a cult and have been fooled by a Snake Oil salesman. The most shocking thing is how transparent and self-serving the clown trump is, yet somewhere around 40% still think he's worth more than a bucket of spit.

Thus, because so many of my fellow citizens have become losers, my allegiance is floundering. I feel the US is like Terry Malloy in On the Waterfront: "I coulda been somebody; I coulda been a contenda"

• Thumbs Up 1

I might find fault with Australia here and there but it really is the lucky country. Free press. Free elections. Decent in terms of fairness. Thank you Australia because I would be in a different state of being without the benefits you bestowed upon me. Still likely happy to spend 50 per cent of retirement in Thailand but. 

16 hours ago, LaosLover said:

I paid in, I should get paid out. That don't take no legal great mind to suss out.

What are these supposed benefits? Our embassies won't do hardly anything for us, ever. Medicare is not transferable over here. I guess if I need Marines to save me......well, iffy at best.

Well of course most enjoy SS .. but the truth is SS was always a tax & most (if Lucky) receive way more back than they ever paid in. Which is why none should be 100% reliant on it as it cannot be guaranteed to continue forever.

As to supposed benefits ....there are many for citizens living in country. Of course as you say less for Expats but that is basically the same as any other country & in fact still better than many

US citizens abroad for instance get COLA upgrades to their SS while other countries freeze those out of country from getting cost of living adjustments to their form of pension/SS . US citizens abroad even got stimulus payments which is quite funny when you consider

"stimulus payments" were given to stimulate the US economy ????

But yes living abroad is... as it should be ...mostly a get it your dang self service life . Besides so many left claiming they escaped a Nanny State so they shouldn't complain they don't get looked after abroad ????

Edited by mania

“Greasy Diego’s” 

You makes a “run for the border” (crossing the land border from California to Tijuana), and you gits “runs at the border” (diarrhea) from eating at Taco Bell. See the donkey show.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, JimTripper said:

“Greasy Diego’s” 

You makes a “run for the border” (crossing the land border from California to Tijuana), and you gits “runs at the border” (diarrhea) from eating at Taco Bell. See the donkey show.

I guess only Americans would understand?

On 8/21/2023 at 7:27 AM, LaosLover said:

Would I feel allegiance to other Americans over here?

No. And that goes double if they are Trump Trash.

Nice you can come here and express your prejudices