Awaiting arrest, ex-Prime Minister Thaksin returns to Thailand amidst political unrest

webfact

At least he gets to go through the quick track and not wait in any lines. Should make for an interesting day If he returns. They may have to delay the election due to all of the other issues. Or maybe we can get him back in office to sort the mess that has been made over the past few years. 

• Like 1

Some troll posts in violation of our Forum Rules have been removed.

4. You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any member of the Thai royal family whether living or deceased. You will not criticize the monarchy as an institution. Speculation, comments or discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing His Majesty The King of Thailand or the Thai royal family. You will not link to or discuss any website which contravenes this rule.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, bannork said:

' No deal has been made before he returns' Paetongtan says 

She also said Thaksin's return had nothing to do with the proposed vote for Settha as PM.

She also said prior the election that PT would never join with Pravit and Prayuth's parties..

Does she realise no one believes the nonsense she talks?

I hope they trust the word of the judiciary more than their own.

• Like 2

As a former PM overthrown by a military coup and subject to a sentence to keep him away I would have thought he would arrive with some dignity, but hovering over the airport waiting for his friends to win and help him escape prison is asking too much. 

21 minutes ago, Grusa said:

How much traffic disruption can I expect around Don Muang tomorrow? I am going there from Pattaya, to catch a 15:15 flight!

He's supposed to be arriving at 0900, so by the time you need to head out to the airport he'll either be ensconced in the PM's residence or in prison.

Either way you'll be safe to leave. Though perhaps not to return.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Where I come from politicians that have been found to get up to no good disappear from public life for good because the public won’t have it any other way. Thailand deserves the political system it has because people allow it. The aristocracy has no respect for people and unless people revolt and clean house it will go on forever. Average Thai man is too spineless busy getting drunk, cheat on his wife, gamble, play on phone than stand up and fight. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, pegman said:

There is only one person a deal could be with and that person is in a much higher pay grade than anyone in the Thai military present or past. 

That is my sentiments!  When he was around after Yingluck got elected her first order of business was head over to the big house to show her respect and ask a favor for her brother.  The reason he got ran out of town while he was PM his head got so big he didn't show any respect for the man. In that visit if the brother had agreed he would have been back all he had to do was fly in unpack take a shower make his way to the big house kneel and kiss the man's feet show the man " your my daddy " but no he double down thought I'll wait until he kicks the bucket. Thus the reason for the coup and of puppeteer Chan-O being the face while the big house years in the making crafted a new constitution that Chan-O, MP, Senate didn't approve with final stamp.

It was reported when finished sent to the big house for a 95 year old monk signature. 

Today we have a new man in charge rarely seen only he can pardon why because he's the man!

???? You got to show your respect he is the man in charge!

Mean while while all the attention is on the brother Yingluck will slip into a baggage cart taken away while the vote is happening she will be home already eaten a helping of Somtam extra Sap relaxing in a hot bubble bath. That is my Thai politics 101, meantime as an expat I hope the baht has crashed. ????

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

Remember, Yingluck thought she had a deal with the opposition to pass the amnesty bill aimed at her brother. Instead, the Democrats reneged and Suthep launched the Bangkok Shutdown. It'd be funny if Thaksin arrives back in Bangkok and finds out that whatever deal he has finagled by betraying his supporters is also tossed out and he's left to rot in jail. I know I wouldn't trust the military.

Remember also that beneficiaries of her, imo unwise, amnesty bill would have been Suthep and Abhisit.

So far none of the key leaders that lead the crusades against Thaksin have spoken against his return. Songdhi, Chamlong, Somkiat, Suthep, Akanat, Sathit from PAD and PDRC respectively and whom they vowed to overthrow the Thaksin regime and even the Bangkok yellow shirts have remained tight lip. General Sonti who staged the first coup against Thaksin supported his return. They all have done their part for the man behind the curtain. Even Prawit is blaming the elite and conservatives for creating a loop of political conflicts with no better outcome than sufferings for the country and its people.Tomorrow will be just another day. Thaksin will return and Sretha will be the PM.