Petition submitted against Thaksin seeking Royal pardon

snoop1130

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In principle I agree with you. But will voters remember all this in maybe a few years?

Will they maybe vote for PT again because they promised extra money or something like that.

If people (not only in Thailand) would make rational decisions, then the world would be a better place. 

The question is how many promises are they going to keep.

Higher minimum wage.  Also what effect does it have on employment and cost of living

20k minimum for every student with a degree

10k wallet to everyone over 16

Welfare for the elderly

changes to the military

referendum on constitution

quality of Life for most Thais.

Marijuana legislation

20 baht BTS MRT

I think there were so many promises made that it is going to be very hard to keep a lot of their non-diehard supporters from changing.

Rest assured that MFP will be there with the report card.  As well I think as people protesting int he streets.

• Like 1

"Thaksin’s petition, if granted, would be unjust and emphasise legal and social inequality in the country, he said, and would confirm the axiom that, in Thailand, prison is just for the poor" 

Who are they trying to kid, how many wealthy Thais that have broken the law, committed severe crimes or even killed people end up in jail ????

Of course Thai prisons are only for the poor, thats been very evident in the short time I have lived here!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Khun Boss - 15yrs statute of limitation for reckless driving causing death (of a police officer) and can/will walk free.

Khun Thaksin - 15yrs in exile for some dodging dealings.... no statute of limitation must do 8yrs in jail.

Yep country has it priorities in order !!

Sad but true -ukk-- in the head

53 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

The question is how many promises are they going to keep.

Higher minimum wage.  Also what effect does it have on employment and cost of living

20k minimum for every student with a degree

10k wallet to everyone over 16

Welfare for the elderly

changes to the military

referendum on constitution

quality of Life for most Thais.

Marijuana legislation

20 baht BTS MRT

I think there were so many promises made that it is going to be very hard to keep a lot of their non-diehard supporters from changing.

Rest assured that MFP will be there with the report card.  As well I think as people protesting int he streets.

Thaksin introduced the 30 Baht health scheme? A remarkable feat in a country run exclusively by and for the wealthy?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

What with this and the situation in the USA, the conspiracy theorists must be having seven orgasms an hour.

I bet Hollywood is sharpening up the pencils too. It makes our political buffoonery in UK look decidedly boring. ????

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Ok, I admit this is not exactly likely. But it's a wonderful thought.

And let's not forget that he has powerful friends. But he also has powerful enemies. Thinks can go wrong.

Easy fix. Pay the enemies $100m. Done deal. Still got $2bn left.

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Ok, I admit this is not exactly likely. But it's a wonderful thought.

And let's not forget that he has powerful friends. But he also has powerful enemies. Thinks can go wrong.

If people think that Thaksin should be jailed that's fair enough, but surely the last PM, the unelected soldier, should be jailed for leading an illegal coup.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

image-49-1.jpg

The Thai Pakdee party submitted a petition to Corrections Department director general on Monday, opposing any attempt by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to seek a Royal pardon.

The party’s move was triggered by widespread reports that Thaksin, who is serving eight years in prison and who is currently being treated at the Police General Hospital in Bangkok, may seek a pardon.

Anand Sakorncharoen, treasurer of Thai Pakdee, said that, the petition is based on the fact that former prime minister Thaksin has been convicted of corruption in four cases, which gravely damaged the country’s governance and reputation.

“Thaksin also evaded punishment for long time by fleeing abroad, clearly showing that he does not respect the country’s justice system. “Therefore, Thaksin’s petition for a Royal pardon would “bother” the King,” Anand said.

Thaksin’s petition, if granted, would be unjust and emphasise legal and social inequality in the country, he said, and would confirm the axiom that, in Thailand, prison is just for the poor.

Caption: Thaksin Shinawatra (Tony Woodsome)

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/petition-submitted-against-thaksin-seeking-royal-pardon/

-- Thai PBS 2023-08-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

It’s really very very simple. Someone at the very very top has said “ I want Shinawatra to be prime minister again - fix it”. Hope you can see how simple it is!!

3 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Thaksin introduced the 30 Baht health scheme? A remarkable feat in a country run exclusively by and for the wealthy?

Not so remarkable.  The wealthy need helathy people to do their work.  Also if you have gone to a government hospital I can tellyou that it is not fun the waiting rooms are crowded and it takes hours to be seen.

It was a good thing but ot that great,

It may be a good thing and probably was but it still has to be compbned with everything else he did that was not good and the deals that he made.

• Like 1

I think I'll check the odds with a bookie in the UK.  My bet is that he'll get pardoned sooner than later and all those health issues will clear up as quick as you can say - "Bob's your uncle!!!"  Or "Tony's your sugar-daddy."  :thumbsup:

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't think he has a deal.

He might have convinced many people to do this and that and he thought that he covered 100% of his way out of prison. And maybe he will come out soon.

But sometimes you think you have to think about 100 things, but in reality you had to think about 101 things. And then at some time you find out that little thing, which you didn't think about, makes your life difficult. That could happen. I guess it is not likely, but it's not impossible that he will stay a little longer in jail. 

Murphy's Law. Never fails.

24 minutes ago, Tanlic said:

No PM for Thaksin just free him on the condition he's stays out of politics witha gag order......Then he can be with his loved ones and live out his life in peace

Thaksin stay out of politics mmmmm  That is like asking stoner to give up his weed 

Just ain't going to happen

You realize that if he did the PT would lose all their finaicanl backing.  There is no way that his kids or relatives could do anything.

Also it would mean that he would become unknown.

It is a nice dream but not going to happen.

My only question is if he is given a pardon can he run for PM next election?

Now, the most worrying condition is his heart, she said. However, there has been no plan to transfer him to a private hospital. As for the request for royal pardon, it will be left to the discretion of her father.

The lawyer Winyat Chartmontri, who accompanied Ms. Paetongtarn to hospital said he did not meet Mr. Thaksin and did not know his latest condition. His daughter met him alone. Regarding the request for royal pardon, it is still in the preparation stage, and it is not specified when it will be submitted. (TNA)

https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-1230265

Edited by anchadian

9 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Not required in Thailand. One can directly petition the Constitutional Court without "layers of courts." Or indirectly through agencies that have standing with the CC such as the Election Commission or Ombudsman.

Otherwise processing Thaksin's probable petition starts with the prison director. 

You can only directly petition the Constitutional Court in specific cases involving constitutional questions. To appeal a normal case to the Supreme Court has to go through lower courts first. Going through Election Comission or Ombudsman are also filtering layers. The prison director works for the Corrections Department.