Why is landlord asking so many private questions before agreement ?

10 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Forget it. If you’re over 50 your retired, that’s it. If you’re under 50 it’s savings.

You don’t know who these jerks are and they are doing immigration reporting. Add to that keeping deposits and the possibility of scams. Lots of people are broke here even if they own property so don’t s@hit where you sleep. Plus it’s none of their f@cking business.

The landlord doesn't know what jerks want to rent the property and how they will take care of it.

It is their business. 

54 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

Newer condos are a bit more programmed with the sublet. 

Everyone it seems is an agent though ! I was talking to one lady, turns out she was an agent for cleaning condos, but here she was showing me around a condo she found online. She was actually very good too. 

She also gave you head in the kitchen during the property tour.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

The landlord doesn't know what jerks want to rent the property and how they will take care of it.

It is their business. 

Then don’t rent. It’s getting money for time, that’s the deal. Nobody knows what the future holds. Or, they can ask all that initially so it’s an easy exit, not after the deal started like the op’s situation.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, DonniePeverley said:

Then what is the point of the 2 month security bond ?

What is the point of taking a rent one month in advance ?

Were you doing this ?

If your question is directed at me; YES I always took 2 months: 1 month security, and 1 month for the tenancy period just starting.

In every one of the 4 experiences I wrote about the 1 month security money didn't cover the damages / expenses involved. And further there's time spent  on trying to get the situtions involved fixed, loss of any financial return in some cases becuse the agent was entitled to a commission equal to 1 month rent. Then time spent / delay in gaining another tent.

I'm wondering if you believe that taking 1 month or 2 months security deposit is the magic answer? It's not.

Further, I know / I realize there are bad landlords, and there are bad tenants.

Edited by scorecard

14 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

I am aware you get the obligatory 'landlord wants to know what job you do' question when you look at a condo. 

Yet today, i have been asked "what job do you do", "owners wants to know what business you have in the UK", "owner wants to know income", "owner wants to know address in the UK", "owner wants to see this and that" etc 

I am almost laughed in disbelief. Despite the fact they don't even verify anything and i could say anything, i just find it all rather disgusting and a complete invasion of privacy.. 

I know the answer - walk away. But i just find it all rather frustrating, after agreeing price and preparing ourselves mentally to take the property on (which has been empty for a long time). 

Realistically, if the owner is asking such questions in a professional manner, then you are likely to be dealing with a professional landlord who will live up to his side of the agreement. 

Perfectly reasonable questions.

1) Proof of funds.

2) Source of income.

3) Passport Copies.

4) Permanent overseas address (if there is one).

It may feel like an invasion of privacy, but you are about to move into someone else's home & if it's a good home with a professional landlord then you're in an ideal situation. 

IF you are the type of person who expects to keep such information private, you may also be the type of person a landlord may not want.

• Like 1

Many news reports about foreigners who trashed a condo, altered it, left it like a huge garbage fill.

As a landlord I prefer a tenant with a rental history. I ask what owner or agent he rented from previously, and if I can call them for reference. That works for me.

In younger days as a tenant, I dressed well, very polite to agent or owner, and never had to answer many questions. Times changing, and too many bad tenants around. Landlords has to be very careful these days.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Ok, do that then. I’m moving on to get more privacy. Bye.

If you are not prepared to give up information to prove you can afford the rent for the rental duration, or to provide personal details such as passport information then you are not the sort of person anyone ideally wants as a tenant as there is no 'recourse' should you become a tenant from hell (even if you are potentially an excellent tenant, the landlord doesn't know that).

The fact that a landlord wants such information implies he is operating on a professional level and is less likely to screw you over come moving out time if you've looked after the place. 

3 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Why do you have to pay deposit to a landlord? Where I live you pay a deposit but it will go to the government agency, and you can ask for refund when you move out the landlord does not see a cent 

Erm... because we are in Thailand and 'not where you live'.....  things work differently here. 

IF there were a government body which 'holds onto the deposits' (same as escrow), I'd be more concerned that the amounts are siphoned off by corrupt officials !!!!...   OR, some corrupt officials concoct some hair-brained idea to improve the escrow service etc, but of course that involves some 'investment' (from the escrow funds) and bingo, there is the access and opportunity to pocket some money !! 

IMO Any such official systems here is more likely to be abused than a landlord keeping the deposit. 

I've always had my deposit returned - so not all landlords are unscrupulous, we can evaluated this and use our judgment when dealing with how professional the landlord behaves. 

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If you are not prepared to give up information to prove you can afford the rent for the rental duration, or to provide personal details such as passport information then you are not the sort of person anyone ideally wants as a tenant as there is no 'recourse' should you become a tenant from hell (even if you are potentially an excellent tenant, the landlord doesn't know that).

The fact that a landlord wants such information implies he is operating on a professional level and is less likely to screw you over come moving out time if you've looked after the place. 

Not in Thailand. Your out with no tenants. It’s a renters market. Bye.

• Haha 1

As I get older, my rules for simple living are evolving. If I am dealing with someone who is simply too difficult, too unreasonable, or too unpleasant, I just move on. See ya! Thanks, but no thanks. I would rather offer 3-6 months in advance, than have to deal with all that scrutiny and invasion of personal privacy. I know it is common back in the UK and the US, but those are two thoroughly broken cultures, and one expects most things to be difficult back there. Not here. This is what I am willing to offer you, and show you. If it is not enough for you, let us move on. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Not in Thailand. Your out with no tenants. It’s a renters market. Bye.

Incorrect. It depends on location and the property....

If you are not prepared to give up some basic information that proves you can afford the rent for the duration of the contract then its probably because you are unable to.

You are clearly not the type of tenant a self respecting landlord wants.

I'd tell you, good luck & bye.

... so you'll find yourself in a place where the landlord has no requirements, but good luck getting any professional response when you need it... i.e. when the property needs repairs or when moving out and expecting your deposit back.

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Erm... because we are in Thailand and 'not where you live'.....  things work differently here. 

IF there were a government body which 'holds onto the deposits' (same as escrow), I'd be more concerned that the amounts are siphoned off by corrupt officials !!!!...   OR, some corrupt officials concoct some hair-brained idea to improve the escrow service etc, but of course that involves some 'investment' (from the escrow funds) and bingo, there is the access and opportunity to pocket some money !! 

IMO Any such official systems here is more likely to be abused than a landlord keeping the deposit. 

I've always had my deposit returned - so not all landlords are unscrupulous, we can evaluated this and use our judgment when dealing with how professional the landlord behaves. 

Well, I had all my deposit returned every time I rented and yes nothing taking off by the government. 

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

As I get older, my rules for simple living are evolving. If I am dealing with someone who is simply too difficult, too unreasonable, or too unpleasant, I just move on. See ya! Thanks, but no thanks. I would rather offer 3-6 months in advance, than have to deal with all that scrutiny and invasion of personal privacy. I know it is common back in the UK and the US, but those are two thoroughly broken cultures, and one expects most things to be difficult back there. Not here. This is what I am willing to offer you, and show you. If it is not enough for you, let us move on. 

I think thats fair enough - IF the landlord wants proof that you can afford the rent, then paying up front is a reasonable solution, most landlords would be happy with this. 

i.e. Sign a years contract - pay 6 months up front (+ 2months deposit), thats fair.

IF someone is not willing to present proof of funds for a 12 month contract and is not willing to pay upfront, is going to argue about leaving a 2 month deposit - they really are not really 'good tenant' material and can go forth. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Well, I had all my deposit returned every time I rented and yes nothing taking off by the government. 

What happens in another country with a different system is utterly irrelevant. 

If you want to talk about rent in your country, go for it... in a forum with a thread about 'rent in your country' !!!!

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If you are not prepared to give up some basic information that proves you can afford the rent for the duration of the contract then its probably because you are unable to.

... so you'll find yourself in a place where the landlord has no requirements, but good luck getting any professional response when you need it... i.e. when the property needs repairs or when moving out and expecting your deposit back.

Bye! ????

46 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

65k is above average. I get it. Its not a basic 8,000 a month place. 

4 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Seems pretty genuine. If your tennant dosn't pay, keep hold of the security desposit. You have a months rent in advance. Kick him straight out if he is late. 

Furthermore why aren't you inspecting your property at least once every few months ?

OK but:

- Shouldn't have to regularly take action to remove tenants.

- My property was on Jomtien beach. I lived and worked in Bkk. My agent was doing regular inspections and giving reports.

7 hours ago, Seth1a2a said:

If not a guesthouse there are a lot of other rentals available at or below the 65,000 price you quoted.

https://www.thailand-property.com/properties-for-rent/bangkok/bang-rak/silom/2-bedrooms

Sample:

https://www.thailand-property.com/ads/2-bedroom-condo-for-rent-in-the-address-sathorn-silom-bangkok-near-bts-chong-nonsi_6f2f32f553ff-706f-a6b6-c71c-94439079

The Address Sathorn Condo for Rent - 2 beds - 86 sqm - 35000 THB  (1 year contract)

Nearly every estate agent website etc has loads of listings... 

...  they're nearly always old. 

Why ?....  landlords list on multiple websites and don't update agents when they have rented out their property with someone else. 

Thus, when making an enquiry it is only then that the agent follows up with the landlord and finds out the property is no longer available. 

When were were looking to rent most of the decent properties we found online were no longer available, agents wasted our time with viewings of different properties we found undesirable. 

Thus: IF the Op has found a property he likes for the price he likes in an area he likes...  then go for it if all else feels right.

The request to prove you can afford it is hardly invasive, its just 'safe business practice'... those arguing otherwise probably can't afford 65,000 per month rent anyway... AND... those who left laughing emoji's at the 65,000 per month rent certainly can't afford it !!!! 

Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 14.01.32.png

• Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 6:14 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Having read your comment of these trials and tribulations renting to Farang, I am curious if these serious problems you encountered are related to renting on a more short term basis, for example between two and four years. I do know a few Farang, not friends, who have rented the same place for 8, 10 years or more. They protect the property as their own. One has a cat, and another a dog, and there is just no way that they would ever think of trashing their places.

Most people dislike moving so much that they try to preserve a nice rental arrangement for as long as possible.

For those who come to Thailand for one or two years for employment as expats, they probably could not care less about rental properties.  And this is when humans turn into animals.  Or maybe it is the environment of Jomtien; I have never been there.

In every case the rental ageement was for 12 months renewable.

I'm well aware that gaining long-term tenants is very desireable which is why I never aimed for the highest possible rent, always about 20% (just a guess) lower than similar properties. But it's a luxury residence, 3 large bedrooms and 3 baths, western style well equipped big kitchen, furnished with quality classic furniture, many air-conditioners, lock up 2 car garage with remote control gates, with pool. 

In fact in every case the agent pushed me to go for higher rents (because it would increase her initial commission) but I insisted on a lower amount.  

On 9/3/2023 at 9:03 PM, DonniePeverley said:

I am aware you get the obligatory 'landlord wants to know what job you do' question when you look at a condo. 

Yet today, i have been asked "what job do you do", "owners wants to know what business you have in the UK", "owner wants to know income", "owner wants to know address in the UK", "owner wants to see this and that" etc 

I am almost laughed in disbelief. Despite the fact they don't even verify anything and i could say anything, i just find it all rather disgusting and a complete invasion of privacy.. 

I know the answer - walk away. But i just find it all rather frustrating, after agreeing price and preparing ourselves mentally to take the property on (which has been empty for a long time). 

If you've ever rented in the UK, the endless application forms filling for credit check and reference person (from work) is required, and yes they want to see your income that you can afford to rent the place, absolute invasion of privacy there

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2023 at 7:31 AM, digbeth said:

If you've ever rented in the UK, the endless application forms filling for credit check and reference person (from work) is required, and yes they want to see your income that you can afford to rent the place, absolute invasion of privacy there

Then you have never had the experience of renting.

If you had then you would know the types of people that try to rent who then want to bring in 3 or 4 others to spread the cost - making the rental into an HMO which brings in a whole raft of other regulations to which you may not be able to comply.

If as a renter you cannot prove the income required to fund the rent and live why would a landlord want to rent to you.........This is as true of Thailand as of the UK. It may be easier to remove people here than in the UK but most security deposits are unlikely to cover potential damages especially on cheaper rentals.