Bank Officer Nabbed for Embezzling Nearly 30 Million Baht from Customers

webfact

1-แบบปกใส่คำพูด-New3-2023-09-03T164908.855-768x433.jpg

In a shocking incident, police have issued an arrest warrant for a prominent bank officer in Kalasin province, who allegedly embezzled almost 30 million baht from customers.

Operating within the network of Village Funds (GFs), the officer exploited her role as a bank officer to manipulate account books, fake transactions, and divert loans, causing cumulative losses of nearly 30 million baht, reported Daily News.

7-48.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The scandal came to light when the GF committee received complaints of delayed disbursements. Residents realized the officer in question was responsible for these discrepancies. She worked at the Savings Bank branch in Kuchinarai district for over a decade, wearing the bank's uniform.

The local police have responded promptly, filing charges against her for embezzlement, document forgery, and other related crimes. The investigative unit is gathering evidence to construct a robust legal argument.

The monetary losses stemming from the fraudulent scheme have surpassed 28 million baht, with projections indicating that the final sum could extend to 30 million baht.

This occurrence has sparked widespread public indignation, prompting the bank's leadership to take decisive measures. They have relocated senior officials from the branch and initiated internal inquiries. Furthermore, the bank's higher-level board has established dedicated committees to confront the situation and provide compensation to those impacted.

4-65.jpg

Picture: Daily News

This case underscores the crucial significance of upholding honesty and integrity within financial institutions, which is essential for cultivating trust and safeguarding customer interests. With the ongoing investigation, the bank's reputation hangs in the balance, underscoring the stakes involved.

Top Picture: Daily News

-- ASEAN NOW 2023-09-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Operating within the network of Village Funds (GFs)

The less formal banking institutions here, Cooperatives and Village Funds, seem like dumpsters about to catch fire. Embezzlement, Debt Relief, and NPLs, being the primary problems festering.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

They have relocated senior officials from the branch and initiated internal inquiries. Furthermore, the bank's higher-level board has established dedicated committees to confront the situation and provide compensation to those impacted.

Where there's money there's the incentive to get rich quick.

42 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

This is why I/we have only a small amount at any time in Thai banks .... AND we watch carefully the account we do have. 

I check my bank account daily online and reconcile the statements every month.

It takes a couple of minutes a day to check and about 20 minutes a month to download the statement and reconcile it, then save it to my external hard drive.

Edited by billd766
added extra text
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Artificial intelligence is already running the banking system here right along side no intelligence at all ???? 

and the artificial intelligence is operated and maintained by ..........

I attempted to add an existing bank account to my mobile banking app, no joy "go to your local branch", off I pop, tell the assistant what the problem was, "no problem I'll do it for you", after a couple of minutes of pressing buttons and checking the data inserted it was "done". Oh no it wasn't she got the same message as me "go to your local branch", try again, failed again, phoned a help line, no help, answer was "need to get Bangkok to solve the problem". I solved it told them to close the account.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

BTW  what happened with those who lost years ago money by that Pattaya KK branch employee who promised those high private investment (unbelievable )  big return % ( not from KK themself )

Did they got their lost money already back ?

Edited by david555

10 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

*They have relocated senior officials from the branch and initiated internal inquiries.*

That will teach them a lesson (Said no-one!)

That's not meant to be punishment.  That's so they're not around to cover their tracks and interfere with any investigation.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And, meanwhile, the government demands, insists, that we keep funds in a Thai bank in order to live with our wife and/or in retirement.

in my almost 14 years being at KK bank i never experienced a fault by using them needed for my NON O ret.Ext.  Money on bank system.

Also by leaving Thailand and Non O last Sept., i could almost all transfer out to my E.U. bank(s) without no problem , all came in legally ...., so all could go out easy

.....There lies  the problem maybe for those being afraid to put money on Thai banks ....!?

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Those staff who do an honest job aren't the problem. The problem is that in Thailand there are those who do not and it isn't unusual to read of them. Those are the problem, and any of us could be a victim at any time. And quite often the banks deny all responsibility, the default action for anything that goes wrong in Thailand.

Is it any different with western  banks ? who even refuse to pay back in online fraud .....when even a independent  bank authority service advised to  compensate the victim ...?

When it comes to pay / compensate they use every trick of the book ..... wherever on Earth ....,not an exclusivity of Thai banks .......

And sure be aware not to believe % investments who are too nice to be true .......as they are as so

What happened was not a

"one man job". Just like previous bank cases, however they never let the public know the real story since the bank face must be saved. 

15 hours ago, webfact said:

They have relocated senior officials from the branch and initiated internal inquiries.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, david555 said:

Is it any different with western  banks ? who even refuse to pay back in online fraud .....when even a independent  bank authority service advised to  compensate the victim ...?

When it comes to pay / compensate they use every trick of the book ..... wherever on Earth ....,not an exclusivity of Thai banks .......

And sure be aware not to believe % investments who are too nice to be true .......as they are as so

I've personally never heard of money mysteriously disappearing from UK bank accounts. But that's just me.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've personally never heard of money mysteriously disappearing from UK bank accounts. But that's just me.

I was referring to the example of online phishing fraud ,not directly about the "inside bank jobs" .....

Several examples in my E.U. country of online fraud by copied Bank-sites an spoofed phone numbers from bank , and so fake represented bank officials on client doorstep after.....(especially older persons as victims )