Who lives in a studio ?

georgegeorgia

Personally, for a living space, I look at three things; space, natural light and airflow. Without those things immediately apparent, I won’t look further. 
Anything less will have an effect on your quality of life. I don’t care about facilities beyond a properly maintained swimming pool. 

• Thumbs Up 1

"natural light and airflow"

Those two are the biggest problems... Studios seem to be long room with one window at the end. No natural air flow.

Some VT7 owners had installed smart 2nd outside door with louvers. That way they got natural cross flow and big saving on AC bill.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, JimTripper said:

I don’t remember. Can you send the quote where I said that please.

I don’t need to do that, you are (in)famous for it ????

Of course we aren’t discussing your specific apartment, but also the location, the beach, the people. You said yourself that you would prefer to be in Mexico, but you couldn’t afford it. 

Overall, I don’t agree that you should spend as much as you can/get as much as you can afford.  I think you should just find a place that suits. 
I could have spent a bit more(5k) and got double the space(120+ sq.m.)but overall the place I chose suited me better. 

• Like 1

OP, you started a thread on minimalism, right?

I have been experimenting with minimalist furniture in my place. 

Minimalist furniture will give you more space.

Do you really need massive sofas which take up so much space in the living room?

Have you ever considered getting big floor cushions instead?

It gives the place a "bohemian look".

And then you can move the big floor cushions out of the way when you are not watching TV and plop down some yoga mats and turn the living room into a yoga studio.

Do you need a giant screen TV and massive wall unit for the TV?

You can try buying a movie projector. Will take up way less space. 

It's not for everyone.

But if you are willing to experiment with the types of furniture, you can save a lot of space and you won't need to pay for such a large space. 

• Haha 1

I alternate between my 36 sqm condo, and my GF's house.

I prefer the condo as there is a swimming pool, plenty of restaurant options nearby. I cook for myself as well, when my GF is looking after family members in the village.

8 hours ago, GypsyT said:

"natural light and airflow"

Those two are the biggest problems... Studios seem to be long room with one window at the end. No natural air flow.

Some VT7 owners had installed smart 2nd outside door with louvers. That way they got natural cross flow and big saving on AC bill.

Air flow is important, i get a nice breeze through the front door and out of balcony, I'm not sure if someone has an enclosed corrider if they can get that

• Haha 1

Lived in a studio when I first got here four years ago. Lasted three months. Never again. Just too damn small. Bathroom always next to the bed too. If someone’s in there taking a crap, it sounds like they’re doing it while sitting on your chest. No fricking privacy.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, save the frogs said:

Minimalist furniture will give you more space...Do you really need massive sofas which take up so much space in the living room?

NO, we rarely used a living room.  New house doesn't even have one, and the sofa sits in hall way in front of the sliding glass doors to the veranda, which is the perch for the dog, awaiting the squirrels & tree shrews to run by on the wall, to bark at.

Have you ever considered getting big floor cushions instead?

It gives the place a "bohemian look".

And then you can move the big floor cushions out of the way when you are not watching TV and plop down some yoga mats and turn the living room into a yoga studio.

Never sit on the floor, not with my back

Do you need a giant screen TV and massive wall unit for the TV?

Yes, but no massive wall unit.  Just sits on the speakers, for that theater big screen look.  

It's not for everyone.

But if you are willing to experiment with the types of furniture, you can save a lot of space and you won't need to pay for such a large space. 

They make all kinds of ingenious space saving furniture,   Very cool & practical.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

My Studio is about 40sqm + balcony where eight people can sit comfortably.

12 floor, central Pattaya, partly seaview, pool, gym, underground garage.

100.000 baht per year in rent, fully furnished.

Do you take turns for the Seaview?

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Nope. Not for me. I love space, and have been fortunate to have lived in alot of spacious homes, lofts (NYC), and apartments over the years. 

Few things in life beat the luxury of space. 

I agree.  I spent 11 years in a 40 sqm studio with a decent sized separate kitchen and nice bathroom, then upgraded to a 50sqm one bedroom unit for two years. 

I've just upgraded to a 200 sqm house and I'm loving the extra space.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, arick said:

So you like to sit on the toilet and make toast at the same time. 

Just sit on the toilet. Saves time walking to the bathroom and you’re probably half naked anyway because of the heat. Might as well shower there also with the bum gun to save time.

I own a 37sqm condo in Jomtien that I bought in 2006.  I've never lived in it but used it as a weekend place when I would drive down to Pattaya from Bangkok.  Started using it less and less so I began renting it out.  Other than during Covid, it's been rented out almost all the time.  It's a nice unit on a high floor.  A larger refrigerator and a two burner built in cooker makes for a nice kitchen.  The air flow is nice from the balcony and a slatted screen door that leads out to a wide hallway.  A lot of shops on the ground floor as well as a very big swimming pool.  My longest tenant was three years.  He left at the beginning of Covid.  Personally, I couldn't live in something like that for more than a month.  I like my larger space and enjoy living in a house.

On 9/7/2023 at 12:37 PM, spidermike007 said:

Nope. Not for me. I love space, and have been fortunate to have lived in alot of spacious homes, lofts (NYC), and apartments over the years. 

Few things in life beat the luxury of space. 

To each his own, I guess. I get it, if the budget is very limited. But, I do not understand opting for a tiny space, when the budget permits a nice place. Life is way too short for that kind of thrift in my opinion, especially with the reasonable rents here, in most areas. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

To each his own, I guess. I get it, if the budget is very limited. But, I do not understand opting for a tiny space, when the budget permits a nice place. Life is way too short for that kind of thrift in my opinion, especially with the reasonable rents here, in most areas. 

For me it's about hedging my bets, I didn't want to spend too much buying a place in Thailand, remember they can kick us out anytime, make the retirement financials stupid high. Money is better invested elsewhere, but I appreciate people like bragging rights, so many bedrooms, sea view etc etc yawn yawn

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

For me it's about hedging my bets, I didn't want to spend too much buying a place in Thailand, remember they can kick us out anytime, make the retirement financials stupid high. Money is better invested elsewhere, but I appreciate people like bragging rights, so many bedrooms, sea view etc etc yawn yawn

I think you are boring yourself. I didn’t see anyone bragging here. Perhaps other people care about things that you don’t. A pool for instance. Should we yawn at your insistence that it’s not a useful thing to have? Live and let live. People have other preferences. You aren’t the arbiter. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NextG said:

I think you are boring yourself. I didn’t see anyone bragging here. Perhaps other people care about things that you don’t. A pool for instance. Should we yawn at your insistence that it’s not a useful thing to have? Live and let live. People have other preferences. You aren’t the arbiter. 

This thread is about studios so people banging on about their non studios is off topic, but expected

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1