“86% of Thai police stations failed transparency test”

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s National Anti-Corruption Commission says 86% of police stations around the country have failed to pass transparency and integrity tests. According to a Bangkok Post report, nearly 1,500 police stations underwent transparency assessments, with 86% found lacking.

Something we already knew.

• Like 2

Of course, but surprised not 100%. When an organisation operates as the RTP does, there can be only one result... where ordinary officers pay large sums to get in, have to buy all their own kit, and can only make their career pay through 'other' means. The whole system is wrong and massively open to corruption.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ibjoe said:

What is the definition of "transparency" for this test, what specific metrics are measured, what methods are used?

The film on the windows of the police station is measured to ensure the density is sufficient to protect the occupants from heatstroke?

• Confused 1

While touring w gf we got robbed twice by the police at 304 & 3052 Hi Ways, near Kaho Yai National Park entry. They were clearly targeting Farangs...

They demanded and got 500B first time and then, 5km later only 300B. My gf had time to hide the money. Before stopping my gf said "Don't say anything, don't even have eye contact!"

Just earlier we had stopped at dead looking fake "Italian Village" on the road and when I asked why it's dead the only business owner said "Cops have scared away customers!".

A months later coming back to Pattaya ( we took # 2) I saw many check points along the road. It looked like military operation.  There were 30km stretch with maybe 100 cops w walkie-talkies sitting next to the road. Again, seemed like they were stopping only farangs or farang in the car.

I taught her how to avoid cops; I asked her to drive on the right lane behind a big speeding semi truck all the way to Bangkok and that worked!

I think it's disgusting what they are doing... Giving Thailand very bad image.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

are u sure it's 86%..... and not 96%....., would advise them to revise the numbers as 86% is too good to be true

I've often wondered how many young xxxx joined believing they were joining an organization devoted to honesty and professionalism and which doesn't engage in corruption? 

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

The problem is that the police see those in politics and hi-so's getting away with it, It will not stop until it stops with those above them. It filters down - not up

TIT. Corruption is endemic top to bottom. It's a way of life that all Thais know and accept because they have too. Rotten to core. Same as all of SE Asia. All at the top are corrupt and the rest of the system follows.